Page 1 of 2
LastLast

A few questions about fasting!

I am curious, what are the health benefits for fasting? What are the negatives from it?
    I have a friend telling me that fasting for two days is fine and healthy with no negative effects. Is this true? I really don't know much about this subject but I am curious. Figured I would ask the MMO community!

Also is intermittent fasting as good as people claim? Even going as far saying its healthier lifestyle?

Overall curious on this whole topic. Sparked my interest with my friend telling me bits about it.

I've heard of starvation diets that slow down your metabolism so that you live longer or some junk.

Check out the hodge twins on youtube. they did fasting and have good recommendations

Alright that confirms the little I know about intermittent fasting. I can see that being okay. You're still eating daily it seems. Nice losses and all that jazz

What happens when you go beyond that? Fasting for the two days with no negative effects seems off to me. But I really don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilkirov View Post
    Fasting for the two days with no negative effects seems off to me.
    It should, because it's hogwash. After two days of not eating most people will be eager to gorge themselves with food in one go. Not only does this negate the purpose of the fasting itself but it can be dangerous because you might feel the need to eat more than what your body can take. Ok maybe not after only just two days but you get the picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes the mitochondria, a organelle in your cells work more efficiently at processing carbs into energy. Pretty much you get more for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    fasting also exist in the Muslim world. they stop eating from sunrise to sundown. approx. 12 hours.
    they do this a month every year. It is also considered a very healthy way of keeping yourself fit.
    Except that they stuff themselves with food at night.

Deleted
    My parents are doing some of this stuff, to lose weight.

Basically, 2 days every week, they are only eating/drinking about 500 calories. only did it for 2 weeks though, and i don't know if they've seen any results already :P

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Not sure where you are getting this from.....is this your own personal experience? Perhaps fasting isn't for you. I do intermittent fast 18 hours fast 6 hours eating every day. I have never felt better and NEVER gorge. Sure I am hungry, but I eat MORE than I did before, I just don't eat junk foods.

Fasting will help in a host of both physical and psychologically. @Original poster - You will do yourself no harm trying it. At least then you will have first hand experience and an informed opinion.

Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    2 days no eating isn't fasting. That's bullshit....
    Fasting takes around 3 - 4 weeks, during which you only drink mineral water. It takes over a week to flush the body out of all negative chemicals stored in the body.
    You should consult with your doctor beforehand tho. Fasting is not for everyone equally healthy.
    One more thing to be added. make sure you have mintos or the like at hand. After 3 - 4 days fasting you will develop an incredibly bad breath. Your stomach has basically nothing to do, and while he's shrinking in size, releases gases to the top instead of the rear exist when food digestion happens.
    On the flipside.. after some 3 - 4 days the hunger feeling will go away. You will not feel like you are starving now.
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2013-02-02 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerator View Post
    Not sure where you are getting this from.....is this your own personal experience? Perhaps fasting isn't for you. I do intermittent fast 18 hours fast 6 hours eating every day. I have never felt better and NEVER gorge. Sure I am hungry, but I eat MORE than I did before, I just don't eat junk foods.

Fasting will help in a host of both physical and psychologically. @Original poster - You will do yourself no harm trying it. At least then you will have first hand experience and an informed opinion.

Good luck.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan

They can only eat at night.

If you mean eat an ordinary meal and maybe a little extra snack then yes.

Edit: FYI Ramadan fasting isn't healthy at all, at least I don't consider it to be. You get over the hunger by like 12-2 PM but then have to wait 6 hours tired and barely conscious to eat.

Did I mention that you don't drink either? Yeah it's super impractical if you have a day job. You're better off with a normal diet + exercise.

But let's not drag Ramadan any more into this. OP is just asking about a straight 2 days of fasting.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2013-02-02 at 01:19 PM.

Deleted
    Sure, eat tomatoes and drink some mineral waters for a couple of days and see how you feel.
    I did that and do that 2-3 days in line out of every month and it's great.

2 days of fasting is fine. Should probably eat something to keep your stomach working atleast a few hours every day.
    But for the love of god, ask your doctor or even better your nutritionist before you start, and don't take anything on this message board or most of the internet for fact when it comes to your health and well beign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilkirov View Post
    Also is intermittent fasting as good as people claim? Even going as far saying its healthier lifestyle?
    Sounds like this diet popularized by BBC's Horizon program a few months back. If that's the case, it's gone somewhat viral and people are making all sorts of health claims about it but proper evidence is lacking. Fad diets are dumb.

So sick of people advocating diets and lifestyles that are based on cutting down on the amount of food one eats... just eat when you're hungry, eat balanced meals, no junk food, no sweets, drink water, sleep like a baby, work hard and you'll live 'til you're 100 :P

Deleted
    I did a 100 hours water fast once just as an experiment. I didn't lose much muscle and didn't really get any benefit. The only negative thing was that I wasted 4 days watching TV series (didn't want to do any effort) and noticing how freaking often they eat in those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check out footage of Hakeem Olajuwon playing in the NBA during Ramadan. Espeacialy the games in Denver (high altitude)...

Edit: I was wrong, I guess he did eat at night. When we fasted a couple of times for the Jewish holy day, I forget which, I didn't eat at night.
    Last edited by Felya; 2013-02-02 at 06:02 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    Fasting doesnt really benefit you that much as people make you believe.
    It wont build muscle faster.
    Yes fasting for 2 days is fine.

( Yes im doing intermittent fasting before you ask )

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 07:58 PM ----------

Dont do fasting because you think it will benefit you more than anything else, do fasting if it fits your lifestyle.

fasting is bad can mess up in the body

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venomgt View Post
    fasting is bad can mess up in the body
    No, it cannot.

Lets just use a slightly bad example.

A few thousand years ago.
    Do you think mankind ate every 3 hours? Split their meals with protein every 3 hours? Ate breakfast every day?
    No.
    Mankind back in the day had to hunt their own food and not eat for days at times.
    I realize we are developed and can do what we want, but we can still fast. Nothing bad will happen.