Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Seriously...Why Is There No Shadowun MMO?

Why do you think there isn't? Is it because that fps they made a few years back was such a miserable failure? Imagine you had something like the Genesis or SNES version of Shadowrun...only as an MMO...who wouldn't want to play that? Mr. Johnsons could be questgivers, other players could be the shadowrunners you team up with...Shadowrun is just ACHING to be made into an MMO...why hasn't anybody done it?

Deleted
    I've moved this over to Video Games Discussion

Deleted
    There are hardly any worthwhile Shadowrun video games to begin with.

Miserable failure!? I love playing shadowrun, people still even play it on xbox!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Miserable failure!? I love playing shadowrun, people still even play it on xbox!
    Well I'm sure some people liked it, but sales-wise it wasn't exactly good.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is probably as close as you're gonna get in the near future: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...adowrun-online

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    This is probably as close as you're gonna get in the near future: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...adowrun-online
    Yea but that's not like an MMO "MMO" though

I've never even herd of this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    I've never even herd of this game.
    It was originally a D&D style pen and paper rpg set in Seattle in the future where there's no government and corporations just basically kill each other's leaders trying to put each other out of business and rule what's left of the world. In order to carry out their tasks, they use Shadowrunners which are mercenaries who use either computer hacking, magic, or straight up guns and ammo to infiltrate the corporations and steal information for whoever happens to be paying them at the moment.

That's by no means an all-inclusive description, but it's the most basic gist of it.

Go watch a Let's Play on Youtube of the Genesis or SNES version and you'll see what's up with it...the Genesis version is more true to the real game, but the SNES version has a better story.

I've often wished there was.

Don't forget that MMOs are doodoo stupid expensive to make. I'd definitely give it a try if they did make one (or even just a single player game).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Sj View Post
    Don't forget that MMOs are doodoo stupid expensive to make. I'd definitely give it a try if they did make one (or even just a single player game).
    That is true, but there's a lot of really bad MMO's that aren't based off of anything and still turn profit.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    That is true, but there's a lot of really bad MMO's that aren't based off of anything and still turn profit.
    They usually also have low-cost development and are usually pay-to-win. :/

Man, I would play the fuck out of a Shadowrun MMO. It's one of the games I've always wished I got the chance to play but could never find a group that was interested.

I wonder if there's some weird thing with the licensing. That's really the only thing I can think of because the setting and whatnot are pretty rad. It seems like companies would be all over that.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Give it time. If CP2077 is as good as I'm hoping it is, there may be a wondrous resurgence of cyberpunk themed games. That'll be Shadowrun's moment to shine, especially if the Shadowrun kickstarter game turns out to be great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    It was originally a D&D style pen and paper rpg set in Seattle in the future where there's no government and corporations just basically kill each other's leaders trying to put each other out of business and rule what's left of the world. In order to carry out their tasks, they use Shadowrunners which are mercenaries who use either computer hacking, magic, or straight up guns and ammo to infiltrate the corporations and steal information for whoever happens to be paying them at the moment.

That's by no means an all-inclusive description, but it's the most basic gist of it.

Go watch a Let's Play on Youtube of the Genesis or SNES version and you'll see what's up with it...the Genesis version is more true to the real game, but the SNES version has a better story.
    Well that and the whole reason for the downfall of the US government is the re-emergence of MAGIC, which the original tribes used to conquer stuff. So it's sort of a cyberpunk modern fantasy with lots of native american overtones.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    Maybe, but that doesnt change the fact that Shadowrun has some awesome stories& overall lore :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    It's probably as simple as this.

MMOs are expensive to make, relative to other games, and you need to try and ensure that you can make that investment back both through sales and the ongoing subs/premium shop/whatever. It's not just a production and then send it off to make you money, it's constant maintenance and updating.

And Shadowrun games have never really been huge sellers. Some have been great, sure, but they didn't SELL well.

And that's king, when it comes to development. You need to show that there's a potential market to tap, and Shadowrun's past success (or more accurately, lack thereof) makes it a huge risk to build on.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather see a Vampire the Masquerade MMO.