Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

The kindness of creeps

Since MoP dropped, I've been trying to obtain some of the game's rarest minipets, particularly the TCG pets, and so I've been interacting with people who tend to have these things.

To do this, I made alts on a number of high-pop servers, and then I went to the Auction House and tried to contact anyone who was selling a pet I wanted, to see if I could either get them to trade it for other pets or sell it for my gold on my server. I'd also try to talk to anyone I spotted in the trade district with a pet I wanted following them around.

A number of the people I talked to to try to get trades turned out to be female gamers who got the pets as "gifts." Apparently, men they've never met bought loot cards on e-bay for between $50 and $200 to give to them. Other players I've discussed this with seemed to believe these "gifts" were transactional in nature; exchanges for nude photos or dirty skype. And I got the impression that some of the recipients of these gifts were quite young and possibly underaged, and the givers are adult men.

I discussed this with other players I know, and they mentioned that this was similar to the recent trends of girls running streams of their webcams on Twitch TV and soliciting cash donations, gold, mounts and pets from their "fans."

Even if nothing is asked in return, these kinds of gifts seem really creepy to me. I guess I was sort of aware there was a gross underside of MMO gaming, but this is exceedingly yucky.

On the other hand, players who get these pets without interacting with the economy are more likely to trade them for below value.

What do you guys think about this?
    Author of DON'T EVER GET OLD , Nominated for the Edgar, Anthony and Thriller awards for Best First Novel.
    My Blog: http://danieljfriedman.blogspot.com
    My Warcraft/Gaming Blog: http://biggerthankologarn.blogspot.com
    My Twitter: http://twitter.com/DanFriedman81

Don't under estimate the power of boobs on the internet. Using it wisely it can control entire servers!

Deleted
    well.. i personaly think that they are sluts..

Welcome to the internet. Where females have all the power with boobies.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    well.. i personaly think that they are sluts..
    I can't confirm any reciprocal anything from the women I encountered in cities who received pets as gifts. But I am not inclined to blame the women for this, although I do think it is funny when somebody corpse-camps a twitch streamer on a PvP server.
    Author of DON'T EVER GET OLD , Nominated for the Edgar, Anthony and Thriller awards for Best First Novel.

I'm not going to lie I've seen female control and destroy entire guilds. It shocking how one female can control score of men like nothing on wow.

As a female, I find this kinda despicable. I would never use my gender to try to get things cheap or free from men online, and I certainly wouldn't send naked photos or do nasty skype things for anything period.

Sig and Avi by Isilrien <3 Priest~Hunter~Druid~Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I'm not going to lie I've seen female control and destroy entire guilds. It shocking how one female can control score of men like nothing on wow.
    See, I'm perfectly happy to blame a guild leader who would corrupt his loot distribution or carry someone in a raid who can't handle mechanics because he has a crush, rather than blaming the woman.

If a grown man is buying $200 gifts for a 15 year-old kid, I am not going to blame the kid for being a slut, either. That guy is a predator.

It will all come up to the survival of the fittest.

When they get older and look back, I hope they'll see what they did and then can't sleep at night for seeing how low and shallow they were. ( talking about the guys buying the things )

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    My best guilds were sans women and even a few banned them from joining. Sounds fucked up but when a woman leaves a guild she takes 10 guys with her.. and always drama around them. Im generalizing I know, but it happens.

http://bg.twitch.tv/pooksie/b/262696117

Typical "girl gamer" stream. Kotako even tried to rile up the femists to attack a guy who made a funny video about the issue.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/01/thi...-women-gamers/

Kotaku are garbage and it has to be known that the real victims are the 14 year old kids with raging hormones who spend money on E-sluts.

I just have such a hard time beliving inn all these stories. I dont know why, but for me it seems like it can't happen. I mean surely any boys aint this stupid?
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I have never seen such a thing as "gifting" towards female players. And I have played with a fair few. (My old 10man team had more females then males). And I honorstly really do not care if some is female or male in wow. The fact that other males "gift" stuff to random females is creepy. If I ever found out someone I knew did that to a random female player I would never stop taking the piss out of them for doing such a creepy thing.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    A gift could fall under 5 Innocent Things That Science Says Make People Hate You #1: You're Too Nice.

If someone is asking naked pictures for a gift I'd simply report that guy.

But other than that, gifts are part of our society, and a little kindness goes a long way. Its also a matter of efficiency. If you're about to toss something away, why not give it to someone who could use it instead?

It saddens me when people cannot disconnect dirty stuff in exchange for something from a normal gift. A real gift is an act of kindness which demands nothing in return. If the giver asks something in return it is NOT a gift. If force is used, such as blackmail, it isn't a gift. If money is demanded, it is a transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    My best guilds were sans women and even a few banned them from joining. Sounds fucked up but when a woman leaves a guild she takes 10 guys with her.. and always drama around them. Im generalizing I know, but it happens.
    Unless it was a raiding guild with everyone on vchat speaking you likely had women among your midst

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't doubt for a minute that game streamers will have the same type of developement as reality t.v. had from when it was created till now. It starts out with decent programming and noble ideas, but it gets hijacked soon enough by others with less savoury ideas. In the end it has a wide array of different "flavours" where some concentrate on high end, informative gaming, and some are just in it for personal promotion, while playing games on the side. And this is all down to the companies delivering the streams to the public deciding on what they will allow. If they feel personal promotion while playing games on the side is o.k. cause it brings in more viewers and thus advertisments then that's what they'll allow.

I also don't doubt for a second that this kind of live streaming will start going beyond pure pay per view sex streams and pure game streams and will go on to people creating streams where they just do what ever the hell they like and people watch them and pay them cause they find it interesting. All it takes is a streaming company like Twitch or Justin.tv to decide that they will support such things because it's good business for them. I don't think we're all the way there yet though, sex is still a big no-no so far.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
    Since MoP dropped, I've been trying to obtain some of the game's rarest minipets, particularly the TCG pets, and so I've been interacting with people who tend to have these things.

To do this, I made alts on a number of high-pop servers, and then I went to the Auction House and tried to contact anyone who was selling a pet I wanted, to see if I could either get them to trade it for other pets or sell it for my gold on my server. I'd also try to talk to anyone I spotted in the trade district with a pet I wanted following them around.

A number of the people I talked to to try to get trades turned out to be female gamers who got the pets as "gifts." Apparently, men they've never met bought loot cards on e-bay for between $50 and $200 to give to them. Other players I've discussed this with seemed to believe these "gifts" were transactional in nature; exchanges for nude photos or dirty skype. And I got the impression that some of the recipients of these gifts were quite young and possibly underaged, and the givers are adult men.

I discussed this with other players I know, and they mentioned that this was similar to the recent trends of girls running streams of their webcams on Twitch TV and soliciting cash donations, gold, mounts and pets from their "fans."

Even if nothing is asked in return, these kinds of gifts seem really creepy to me. I guess I was sort of aware there was a gross underside of MMO gaming, but this is exceedingly yucky.

On the other hand, players who get these pets without interacting with the economy are more likely to trade them for below value.

What do you guys think about this?
    And that is why it's important for parents to know what their kids are doing.

I don't hate E-sluts as much as I hate all the guys that fawn over them, they are worse. Brainless drones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just fyi... not all women accept these gifts.

I just recently had a brand new member to our guild send
    me several unique and rare pets. When I asked the other officers
    if they'd received the same pets and the answer was No, I sent the pets
    back to the new member with a note saying "No officer will accept gifts,
    raid spots are earned by attendance and quality performance."

Poor fellow was gone in a week, but yea... Not all of us are braindead boobs.
    And eight, eight, I forget what eight was for

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    I despise e-sluts just as much as you, but....

How come you don't realize that the majority of the youtube or twitch community is whoring in just the same way (Shrine does in the exact same way in that particualr example)? Begging for subs/comments, begging for link sharing and whatever.
    The only difference is boobs, not the intent behind.
    Because males can't sell their sexuality so easily. Because men who pay/send gifst are labeled "creeps". If you can't see the double standards than further explaining is pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was under the impression that this was something women (or "women") had to really work at. Like, you'd have to prowl around for a specimen pathetic enough to lap up whatever faux affection you feed them, and only then could you con them into free shit. An arduous process.

Still. It's interesting.

And let's not turn this into some banal gender bashing thread. Please.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2013-02-02 at 05:42 PM.

I, a male gamer, have given rare pets as gifts to both male and female friends in WoW, now nothing exceedingly rare, most was a "common" loot card that runs 5 to 10 bucks on ebay.
    why? cause it wasn't worth the hassle of selling it on ebay and in game it would go for 10k max on my server. I would rather be nice.
    I did not get any "favors" of any type in return, nor did i ask for anything in return.
    It is my opinion that yes some people do trade favors, but the majority do not, and that most people who say that others "traded" for the pet are more then likely mad or jealous so they make crap up to make said person look bad.