Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Oh ya guys. I'm going to the American Physics Society meeting in March and giving a poster presentation.

http://meetings.aps.org/Meeting/MAR13/Event/187341

That's the subject of the topic I'm giving. I'm not gonna quote the writing before I get fucking sued for a copyright infringement or something.

Deleted
    I have this big thing for scientists, sitting and having a discussion/conversation about science. Here are some examples:

String Theory - with Lawrence Krauss and Brian Greene.

The Poetry of Science - Richard Dawkins and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Something from nothing? - Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss.

Now, religion is occasionally brought up, so be warned.

Anyone have any others?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    I've watched the Poetry of Science one you linked, it was a great vid.

Have you seen the one of Neil deGrasse Tyson testifying before a Senate science committee.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmKlA_UnX8c

*Warning* religious discussion
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7rR8stuQfk

I know this one is an interview by Stephen Colbert, but, I found it interesting/entertaining.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXh9RQCvxmg

I watch a lot of Dr. Tyson's stuff.

Also, neat:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/high...-1226583761275
    I love Tyson, he explains stuff in such an interesting manner.

It's unfortunate that this forum don't allow religious discussion, because there's alot of cool videos out there in that format. YouTube "The Four Horsemen" if you're interested.

Anyway, here's another video:

2011 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: The Theory of Everything.

Tyson is a great lecturer. He manages to explain highly complex physical and mathematical theories and evidence in a way that many people can understand. He's also very eccentric which is always hilarious.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Deleted
    Here's my 2 cents on a couple of scientific people...

Brian Cox

Ex britpopper, professor at a young age. In any of the series does, such as the three "Wonders of" series (Solar System, Universe, Life), he performs like a minute, two minute long monologues straight at the camera, no cue cards or prompters, without losing his train of thought. This is because he's not (just) reading from a script, but actually teaching people.

True professional.

BBC puts it's immense wealth behind these series, and that in part makes them the best in the world. They're factual, concise, and entertaining beyond anyone's imagination.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

A true professional as well. Not quite as hip and mainstream as Cox, but definitely towards that end. Knows what he's talking about, and doesn't talk about pointless shit. America's response to the "Rock'n'Roll Physicist" that is Brian Cox. Nerfed Pluto, and is the director of the Hayden Planetarium.

Those two I consider good representatives of the scientific world to the mainstream.

Michio Kaku

Based on the shows he does, and the theoretical futuristic shit he talks about, sometimes I feel like calling him Michio Cuckoo. Very much in the media, but does all the wrong shows, and for all the wrong reasons. A detriment to science in the mainstream. Sorry to say but it's true.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2013-03-02 at 03:02 PM.

I always liked Michio Kaku...

Well not really. He's quite popular but I never liked his style of presenting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thought I'd float this out there just for grins. For those in the northern hemisphere, there's still time to try and spot comet Pan-STARRS (C/2011 L4) over the next week or so. It's not the easiest target for the naked eye in twilight (and being relatively low on the western horizon), but even a simple pair of binoculars can help bring it into view if you know where to look. Here's a viewing guide.

There's also a growing collection of photos on spaceweather.com.

[/astronerd]

15+ Year Old Account
    Pi day? How about Tau day? June 28th

Okay Fuzzie now we're gonna have to have an MMO-C movie night where we show those two nerd college professors argue over whether e or pi are more important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Politicus View Post
    can't you give us an article about that which ISN'T behind a paywall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    can't you give us an article about that which ISN'T behind a paywall?
    Try this instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'm applying to some REUs and picking them out is fucking stressful.

I'm also supposed to be going to this physics conference in March and lol...making the plans for hotels and registering and shit is ....
    Lol I went to the conference I mentioned yesterday. Was sick.

Oh also I got into my REU of choice today lol.

Deleted
    Got some new videos for you guys.

The Great Debate: THE STORYTELLING OF SCIENCE:

Featured: Science educator Bill Nye, astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, theoretical physicist Brian Greene, Science Friday's Ira Flatow, popular science fiction writer Neal Stephenson, executive director of the World Science Festival Tracy Day, and Origins Project director Lawrence Krauss.

This is part 1 so check out part 2 aswell (which is highly entertaining.)

2013 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate: The Existence of Nothing:

MODERATOR: Neil deGrasse Tyson.
    PANELISTS: J. Richard Gott, Jim Holt Lawrence Krauss, Charles Seife and Eve Silverstein.

I have already posted the last 2 debates but this recent one is my favorite.

Richard Dawkins at University of Pennsylvania March 12, 2013:

Lecture by Richard Dawkins about his recent book aswell as other stuff. Don't stop watching when he says that the book is targeted for young people, it's still very interesting and educational!
    Last edited by mmoc286748cea5; 2013-04-20 at 01:00 AM.

Deleted
    Cheers mate! Good finds, time to watch.
    You're welcome! No one had posted anything for a month, so I wanted to liven it up a little. ^^

Deleted
    snip
    Thanks for sharing. ^^ I haven't really educated myself much on Global Warming either so it was an interesting watch. I think it's an important point though what the british guy points out; when the scientists argue whether the elephant in the room is high or very high, the media and the politicans will see it as doubt and uncertainty. And they think that it's not clear whether there's even an elephant in the room at all.

Also, the engineer seemed to be the most educated out of them all. While the others pointed out how bad it is and it will take a thousand years for the earth to cool down again, the engineer was talking about how we can revert back all the damage. Very interesting to hear him talk.