Screen went black \o/

So basically for 3 days something smelled like burning plastic in my room and today i found out it was the screen. I was watching youtube and playing some dota2 an it went black. I restarted it and i could see some really faint welcome message on it :3. Ideas on what happened?

This might sound a bit like I'm stating the obvious, but something made of plastic probably burned through, and it is fairly likely that it is irreparable.

You might want to get rid of the monitor sooner than later, burnt plastic is quite bad for you.

Could be that the back-light burnt out or something... Would need more information, maybe an opening of the monitor ( if you think you could repair it, or if you're able to get someone else to )
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    Could be that the back-light burnt out or something... Would need more information, maybe an opening of the monitor ( if you think you could repair it, or if you're able to get someone else to )
    It's still in warranty so I will take it to them but i wanted to make sure something else didn't fry it, as in my graphics card. Tho it's odd for this to happen on a 4months old monitor...

Don't really see how a graphics card could fry a monitor.If there was enough power going through the video out port on the graphics card to kill a monitor, the graphics card would have died long before the monitor did. Sometimes electronics dies in the first 6 months, sometimes it is still in working order ten years past the date it became technically obsolescent. Call the manufacturer and ask for an RMA.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-02-03 at 02:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tho it's odd for this to happen on a 4months old monitor...
    Actually, that's pretty normal. Hardware dies at two points, shortly after manufacture, or when it reaches its MTBF limit, which is pretty much just 'wear and tear'