Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

How do you get rich?

OK having been a WoW millionaire Im struggling to make gold in GW2. After reading some replies in this post: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post1355044

Im wondering. How they hell are people farming that much gold. Most youtube videos I can find for gold farming only show like 4-6 gold per hour and those are months old so its probably even less now unless something new has come out. Im just wondering how are people making tons of gold when everything on the AH seems to sell for a handful of silver? I just cant stand being poor in any MMO I play.

Most of the rich players in game I know play the trading post a lot. If you know how to buy and sell with the right items you'll get rich pretty fast. But it helps to start with a bit of a base.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me the biggest way to get gold is not to spend it rofl. I only have ~50g at any given time, I bought the Unbreakable Choir Bell for 55g, I don't know how many bag and bank slots, all the skins and toys, Immobulus and working on both Incinerator and The Anomaly - I'm kind of a collector

The economy is very stable, you won't see runaway inflation to where people are millionaires like in WoW. With precursors generally being the most expensive item for a legendary and going for 500g that is ALOT of gold in this game.

Here is a site you might find interesting that many of the traders use:
    http://www.guildwarstrade.com/recipes

But I hear ya, I've got 800k sitting in my WoW account. Wish there was a way to trade it for GW2 gold lol.
    Valar morghulis

You should check out the Black Lion Trading Co. section of the official forums, they usually have a lot of good tips. One of the best ones is using gw2spidy.com, although, most of the hardcore traders keep running spreadsheets and buy/sell in very large quantites.

More often than not I hear people say they make a lot of money running dungeons, which I don't do, so I have no input there.

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    The economy is very stable, you won't see runaway inflation to where people are millionaires like in WoW.
    Not lately. Certain materials I was dealing in have gone up as much as 300%. Anyone who purchased those items in bulk a month ago is cashing in big time now. Wish one of those people had been me. :P I'm afraid I've been playing the TP too timidly.
    Last edited by Lane; 2013-02-03 at 02:24 AM.

Thought it was pretty easy to get gold/karma in GW2. I don't put any effort into either anymore and still have hundreds of gold collectively and no expenses. Just travel cost, I guess.

- Farm repeating events
    - Play the Ah spread
    - Convert gems to gold during holidays
    - Sell crafting materials
    - Don't craft
    - Don't buy useless garbage or gamble
    - Spend karma instead of gold where possible
    - Don't spend any money on gear till max level, where you buy 1 single set flat out
    - Zone complete
    - Sell/salvage everything
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-03 at 03:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best way to make gold in this game is to buy it from chinese farmers, or grind your real life away while facing constant diminishing returns, or you know play the trading post which I honestly don't see how that's possible in this fucked up games economy but some people manage to do it.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2013-02-03 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    grind your real life away while facing constant diminishing returns,
    Played D3 for 5 months should be easy. Farm for hours on end for very little chance at good loot? Perfect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Best way to make gold in this game is to buy it from chinese farmers, or grind your real life away while facing constant diminishing returns, or you know play the trading post which I honestly don't see how that's possible in this fucked up games economy but some people manage to do it.
    How do you buy from Chinese gold farmers when the game hasn't launched in China yet?
    If you're hitting DR all you have to do is switch zones. Simple. Might be tough for a bot, but easy for a real player.
    Valar morghulis

Somehow, I think "gold farmers" don't care where a game is launched.

Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-03 at 06:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh cool. Mods posting goldselling sites now :/
    Valar morghulis

I'm on the payroll. Farming those copper nodes. For all the golds.

actually, thought i crossed it all out.

I can't even tell what those prices are supposed to be without decimal points, but I assume it's not 2000g for $4.50 because that would be insane. Then again, if it's $450 that's still insane because I can't imagine anyone spending that much real money on virtual gold.

Going through official routes $10 (800 gems) only buys you 12g on a good day. Hardly seems worth it.

How do you get that calendar in Google?!

I dunno. Never switched to the new Google bullshit layout, I think.

It's the same as in any game, the only added dificulty in GW2 is that the TP (or AH) is worldwide making it harder to powerhouse a certain market.

Best advice:
    Bet on multiple horses.
    Join a trading guild (you can dent the market for a couple of hours or a day so you can make big profits)
    Buy gems before events
    Try to get into the powerhousable markets, (pre-cursors, event items,...)
    and ofc the most important
    buy low, sell high

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 01:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I can't even tell what those prices are supposed to be without decimal points, but I assume it's not 2000g for $4.50 because that would be insane. Then again, if it's $450 that's still insane because I can't imagine anyone spending that much real money on virtual gold.

Going through official routes $10 (800 gems) only buys you 12g on a good day. Hardly seems worth it.

450 for 2k is what I get spammed with ingame aswell

Deleted
    I probably missed something but what diminishing returns are you talking about?

It's something lazuli likes to complain about

Deleted
    I made over a million in gold standing at the AH in wow... WoW got to the point where if you had a lot of gold, getting more gold became exponentionally easier and easier until you could literally control an entire servers economy if you so desired, standing in one spot and using a few addons. GW2 was a hard hit of reality to me in comparison... it is much harder to make gold if you're used to the passive gold-making of WoW. It's also harder if you're trying to grind-farm specific rares and so on. Even farming nodes is far more difficult. The best way I found in the end was simply actively playing the end zones - doing the max amount of events in Orr zones with a party and MF gear on.

I still made a few hundred gold from trading on the AH during the halloween event, and probably another 100-200g over the course of the few months I played for, enough to kit me out in full T3 cultural and give a lot to friends for various stuff... but most of that had to be earned by actually playing... which can come as a shock to those of us who found making our million's off WoW's AH easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    GW2 was a hard hit of reality to me in comparison... it is much harder to make gold if you're used to the passive gold-making of WoW.
    Same. It's also because very little in GW2 is actually worth anything to anyone. I amassed a great amount of wealth in WoW selling low level crafting materials that I picked up while leveling alts, something I haven't been able to do in GW2. The things that are worth money are the T6 mats, which are either horribly limited by node spawn, have terrible drop rates, or are rare salvage goods.

You also can't farm much due to DR. The best you can do is put together a MF set and hope to luck upon some rares before drops come to a halt. I haven't had much success with Orr either. It seems to be a common suggestion, but every event I attend there are at least 20 other people at and it's incredibly difficult to get hits on anything. No hits = no loot.

Even the TP players admit when they deal in goods they deal in exceptionally large amounts, I'm talking 10k+ items that they buy low and then sell high. You also have to be really up to date on patch notes, something I'm very bad at. I only just found out the reason why T6 dust has skyrocketed is because of the new recipe to turn the Triforge amulet into an ascended item. Had I known that earlier I could have bought up a bunch before they rose 300% in price. >_< Same thing with Unidentified Dyes, they went up something like 600% in price after bot bans + nerfed drop rates.

Deleted

Go to settings and you can enable the calendar under the google labs tab.

Then again, if it's $450 that's still insane because I can't imagine anyone spending that much real money on virtual gold.
    ROFL I laugh at your $450. Grow some balls like this guy:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...al-real-estate