Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Acer has a cracking deal for a laptop on newegg right now

I'm not advertising or anything. I did buy an Acer Aspire about 6 months ago and I love it! It plays games great. (There is a thread about it in this forum).

This is just a PSA for anyone who wants a decent, cheap gaming laptop.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215615

Acer Aspire
    15.6" 1366x768 LED screen
    Intel Core i7-3632QM 2.2GHz (Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.2GHz)
    6GB DDR3 RAM
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Geforce GT 640M 2GB!!!!
    500 GB hard drive 5400 RPM
    5.74 lbs

all for $699?!
    free shipping

I'm tempted to upgrade myself on this one. I'm drooling here.

If you want a gaming laptop on the cheap, this is it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-02 at 07:19 PM ----------

I'm considering selling my current Acer Aspire and buying this.

Eh, that video card is awful and won't be able to handle anything but low settings at playable framerates.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For $700? Sorry that's not even a deal, in my eyes.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Eh, that video card is awful and won't be able to handle anything but low settings at playable framerates.
    It'll manage decent settings, it's a 1366x768 panel so it's not all that hard to drive.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

At 720p resolution, it should run the game at or near ultra settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is totally inaccurate, sorry to say. At 1366x768, the GT 640M is more than enough for medium-high settings in most modern titles. My laptop has a GT 630m and an i5, and I have yet to have to resort to low settings in any game to achieve playable FPS.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    yeah, this is kinda true aswell, and acer is notorious for their horrible build quality.

It seems to be pretty good looking at charts on this website:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.71579.0.html

Remember, we're talking a $699 laptop. Most laptops have far worse at this price range.

I have a AMD Radeon HD 7670M in an Acer that I bought new for $399.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    It'll manage decent settings, it's a 1366x768 panel so it's not all that hard to drive.
    That card is equivalent to a GT 520~. Regardless of resolution it's not going to handle much of anything aside from the lowest settings available.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    yeah, this is kinda true aswell, and acer is notorious for their horrible build quality.
    I've owned an acer for several months and have had no issues with it. Of course I paid $399, so I figure to replace it in a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    That card is equivalent to a GT 520~. Regardless of resolution it's not going to handle much of anything aside from the lowest settings available.
    You keep saying that, and it's simply not true.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    I agree my card is worse and can handle a lot of things quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5672/a...kepler-verge/4

See how far behind it is compared to the 560m? I'm sure you're then also aware how far behind the 560m is from -any- desktop GTX 5xx cards.

You guys can go on and claim it to be a capable card, but it isn't.

build pics

Deleted
    I just don't understand these laptop basher's. They serve a purpose for a lot of gamer's, portable pc gaming anywhere. I own a Del laptop with GT555m in it. With this I get anywhere from 30-50fps when playing wow at 1920x1080. I play skyrim and cod and many others on here, all with frame rates above 30. So, please, stop talking crap about laptops.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5672/a...kepler-verge/4

See how far behind it is compared to the 560m? I'm sure you're then also aware how far behind the 560m is from -any- desktop GTX 5xx cards.

You guys can go on and claim it to be a capable card, but it isn't.
    Framerates it pushes are alright, you just dont get any of the AA/FXAA/ASF to go with it. medium/high detail settings are definetly in the cards, but overall, you'd be better off getting something more powerful, since you're already paying like what? 700 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    I just don't understand these laptop basher's. They serve a purpose for a lot of gamer's, portable pc gaming anywhere. I own a Del laptop with GT555m in it. With this I get anywhere from 30-50fps when playing wow at 1920x1080. I play skyrim and cod and many others on here, all with frame rates above 30. So, please, stop talking crap about laptops.
    No-one is hating on laptops, simply offering some advice.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    30 FPS on gimped settings isn't exactly what most gamers want. No one is bashing anything, the 640m is just a glorified multimedia card. It is what it is. <.<

Anyone wanting to game on a notebook should simply just save the extra $200 and get a notebook with an actual GTX card in it. The 660m is an absolute mile ahead of the GT series.

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    It's a decent price or "deal" considering the context. The laptops that sell for $299-$399 have graphics cards that aren't designed for 3d gaming and low end CPUs. So yeah, this cost more, but is a low end price for a gaming laptop, where quality gaming laptops can easily cost twice as much.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    It's a decent price or "deal" considering the context. The laptops that sell for $299-$399 have graphics cards that aren't designed for 3d gaming and low end CPUs. So yeah, this cost more, but is a low end price for a gaming laptop, where quality gaming laptops can easily cost twice as much.
    I wouldn't consider it a gaming laptop.

In fact gaming laptop is an oxymoron.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Except that's what mine is and I play on Med settings just fine with no frame rate problems at all.