Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I think you'll find someone willing to do 2/3/4 no problem. Asking someone to cook for you is awkward, especially when you say you often work late - expecting them to be in and available when you get home the majority of the nights seems very inhibiting for someone who's not being paid to be your housekeeper. I'd learn to get used to frozen ready meals. Maybe if they're a good cook you can mention that you'd really appreciate if they are cooking if they can cook enough for two and put the spare in the fridge or freezer and you can reheat it but stipulating someone has to cook for you every day seems like stretching it.

For the hobbies.. I think that's a bit unreasonable. If they happen to get on with you and enjoy the things you enjoy then it's logical that you would go to the movies or do something with a room mate, but to make doing stuff with you part of this deal on reduced rent is going to make them feel forced to spend time with you and they're just going to be faking it, especially since stuff like painting warhammer figures is kind of a niche hobby. You can't force people to enjoy spending time with you and I don't think you're going to feel great knowing you've had to basically pay this chick (in the form of reduced rent), to be your friend.

Make a deal about someone who's willing to do your share of all the housework in exchange for a reduced rent and I'm sure you'll attract some students, but don't push it too far. With any luck you'll find someone you can also like on a personal level and the friendship will follow. I know I would have gone for it when I was a student, I house shared with a bunch of guys and ended up doing 90% of the housework anyway :P If he'd have started saying I had to spend time with him and do stuff with him it would have felt seriously creepy and I wouldn't have though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Well thanks Mr Maltese tiger!

It would just be nice to have some extra time on thenweekends.
    Definitely. Do you feel you need to go on another tour? It's really tough to form new relationships when you're in and out of the country. Have you thought about when you might retire from the military or is that what you plan to do for the foreseeable future? It's tough to come home to an empty house; my roommate just married my cousin in July so I'm feeling you there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol a www thanks. Was joking earlier. I'm just trying to be modest
    Im 5'1, jokes fly over my head faster than a f-14.

Modesty is good ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    I'd invest in fixing that ceiling first.

Lol that pic was taken during my last deployment. About a year and a half ago. I was living in a trailer when that ic was taken

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol that pic was taken during my last deployment. About a year and a half ago. I was living in a trailer when that ic was taken
    Whew! Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Definitely. Do you feel you need to go on another tour? It's really tough to form new relationships when you're in and out of the country. Have you thought about when you might retire from the military or is that what you plan to do for the foreseeable future? It's tough to come home to an empty house; my roommate just married my cousin in July so I'm feeling you there.
    Yeah don't get much choice the matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Shamanic has a lot of good points. I'd also like to note that one of the people I know who did the live-in maid thing while going to school did it with a local family and became more of a live-in nanny (although that's clearly not what you're looking for).

10+ Year Old Account
    What area? I imagine going combat patrol in the rural provinces would be extremely rough so hopefuly you dont go out there.

Man i remember when my old History teacher was sent to Fallujah for a year back when it was hot. Was extremely scary, but was really prout when he spoke highly about their first demcratic vote over there.

and yes, I know Iraq =/= Afghanistan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, that sucks : /

Well, I hope life slows down for you at some point so you can meet someone who shares your love of figurines and video games. They're out there! You could always use matchmaking websites to meet people, that way they'd know up front that you deploy every now and then. I'm sure there's someone out there who wouldn't mind waiting for you. Could be worth a shot.

In any case, if you just want a roommate, I'd take out the clause that says they have to spend time with you. You'll get a lot more bites that way. Chores? Not a huge deal. Personal involvement comes with it's own price tag though.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2013-02-03 at 08:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just get a girlfriend dude!

Quote Originally Posted by the1seth View Post
    Just get a girlfriend dude!
    Reason guys get a girlfriend: having a maid.

Lol :P
    Think i do most of that stuff actually (cooking for once)

What you're asking for is very steep in return for what you're giving.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well heres the deal, they get to go to school and live in a house for maybe 300 a month, all they gotta do is abide by the faily lenient rules. Seems like it would be a good deal to me, of the situation was reversed

And its not like im asking for them to be working all the time, just spend about 10 min cleaning up a day and making 1 meal, thats not to bad right?
    No offense, but for me, the last thing I'd want to do if I went to school was to go home to a place that isn't mine to act as a personal servant to a guy that, by the sound of it, I'd rarely get to meet.

And to be honest, cooking a meal in a short time ain't that hard. It doesn't need to take hours. The only thing that's often difficult is having the motivation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lots of people are trading rent for live-in maids. Ain't that uncommon or a bad thing.

So i was discussing a intresting idea i had in a different thread and the suggesstion was made to ask the question on the main page.

Okay so im a soldier living near a major university (KSU). While im not hurting financially, I don't have alot of time to take care of normal living things.

I work from about 0530-1730 most nights, although 1900 or 2000 isn't uncommon. Most of the time when i get home i don't have adequate time to cook a real meal, or clean my house properly until the weekends.

I have a 3 bedroom house with all the standard accomodations, and live less than a mile away from the campus.

I'm thinking of putting a ad out to ask for a roommate to do these basic things:

1. have a hot meal prepared for me by the time i get home, nothing to extravagant, just a normal dinner. A meat a grain and a veggie.
    2. keep the house clean. I'm not a dirty person by any means, but i do tend to get cluttered throughout the week I.E. clothes etc.
    3. do some light laundry
    4. I live a quiet life while at home and im fairly inoverted, that means i wouldn't want a ton of people over partying and stealing/breaking shit.
    5. I'd prefer a female, i have enough testoserone already in the house.

I would also like companionship in simple stuff such as going to the movies on fridays, or helping me paint warhammer 40k figurines.

I'm a tall fairly good looking soldier....

You guys think id have any takers?

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 02:15 AM ----------

btw im also a huge nerd.

game...alot.....and paint warhammer 40k figures...alot.
    You could possibly eat at that university cafe when you finish work too.
    Last edited by Belisarius565; 2013-02-03 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    Lots of people are trading rent for live-in maids. Ain't that uncommon or a bad thing.
    I'm a male and if I went to KSU I'd probably hit you up about it. if you're serious about this, Take the picture off, don't talk about looks. and state your hobbies.

For the record cooking a meal does not take a long time, I could cook a good dinner in less then an hour if i premake some things and plan well. Also you coudl try making food like a roast which can be cooked while you're at work. over the week end whip up some eggrolls, the freeze really well. Pasta dishes also take little to no time. with the amount of pre-made things you can by dinner is not always a 2-3 hour ordeal if you don't want it to be.

Deleted
    It's not a bad proposition but you might need to modify some things to make it sound less maid-ish. Something like :
    Renting house 1 mile from campus for 300 a month ( or whatever) , since i have long hours at work i am barely at home :
    -Roommate must cook for two.
    -Roommate must do laundry for two.
    -Be a tidy person
    -No parties or many people over.
    I think you have more chances like that since there are some people that cook their food and not just order in, and while they are cooking for them, they might as well cook an extra plate/bowl of food ( i presume you go at least 50/50 on food costs? because he will already pay rent , doesn't have to pay to feed you also) . You might have days when you won't get your hot meal waiting but at least it's food that you can reheat.

Laundry is the same thing , everyone does their laundry , might as well throw yours in with theirs or after , separately.
    A tidy person will keep the place clean from his mess but if your mess is still there , they might go the extra mile and put those aside too. For example : In a livingroom , i can gather all my stuff and make it look clean but if the other half of the room is cluttered with your stuff , it's still messy looking so might as well do something with those.

The no party / many people over is a normal thing so nothing to change to that.
    I would leave out the companionship thing from the list . If it happens it happens, if not then you two just have different hobbies and you can't force that person when he might want to do something else.

If you want exactly the stuff you wrote there on your post then write that down but if you won't get any takers and you decide to let some things slide ( like having a meal but not a hot one waiting for you when you get home , etc) Write something like i did , things they would normaly do but to include you too in them.

RANGER UP SOLDIER AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR SHIT
    or get yourself some dependapotomus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandaemic View Post
    “Oh, do a daily? Just do a daily? Why don’t I strap on my daily helmet and squeeze down into a daily cannon and fire off into daily land, where quests grow on little dailies?!”

When you leave on tour, will you continue paying your part of the rent and them paying their low amount? Or will they be on their own? If the second one, you're going to struggle I feel. I don't know how the US is, but in the UK you have a lease for the entire academic year.

This is weird and confusing.

Half of this is you wanting a maid and the other half is you wanting a girlfriend. You aren't going to find something where this works the way you seem to want it to. By all means I'm sure you can get a maid, get you meals cooked and house cleaned or whatever, but that person is your employee, you have power over them, they can't just hang out and be a friend and help you paint figures or whatever.

And then the whole thing where you keep talking about your appearance and so on makes it sound like you're going to be coming on to this employee a whole bunch and pressuring them for sex, which is wrong on a lot of levels unless there's some sort of upfront understanding that you're also paying for sex, which you don't seem to be intending to because you still want to charge them to live there.

My suggestion is to get a maid and find some friend's/a girlfriend.