Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    From what I can tell, my neighbors (a pair of bachelors) have a system where one does most to all of the house/yard work to pay his rent.

It wouldn't surprise me if you found someone, but probably another dude.
    Last edited by Rainec; 2013-02-03 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Why...why bring he emotional attachment nesesary with having a GF?

I'm leaving for a deployment within 6 months. My focus is on training, fixing helicopters, and making sure i do my best to prepare the soldiers im responcible for living in a hostile combat enviroment.

Those tasks are exhausting.

I wouldn't make a good BF right now, i think most women would agree. I mena seriously girls, my good looks aside, would you want a BF who is 6 months away from being gone for a year in a place he may never come home from? A guy who is to tired to focus attention on you for more than 30 min a day at most?
    from a gal's perspective: Some of us are emotionaly stable enough to handle a long term deployment, even in a newish relationship. Its rare, but we're there. However, 30 min a day when you are actually here would be a wee bit hard because us girls like communicating and interacting, unless you got a recluse of a gf and thats not really a good thing. I honestly think you're right in holding it off if you dont feel you are up to having a relationship right now.

Just stick to your guns on that point. No one knows oneself better than oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by Keske View Post
    Yea, she does that for her Boyfriend. That's the crux here.
    I'm not saying the roomie would have to be my GF....ive made it clear i have no time for that.

Just a girl to play the part.....seldomly...for a place to live.

Maybe i should look for a drama major or something

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    from a gal's perspective: Some of us are emotionaly stable enough to handle a long term deployment, even in a newish relationship. Its rare, but we're there. However, 30 min a day when you are actually here would be a wee bit hard because us girls like communicating and interacting, unless you got a recluse of a gf and thats not really a good thing. I honestly think you're right in holding it off if you dont feel you are up to having a relationship right now.

Just stick to your guns on that point. No one knows oneself better than oneself.
    Thanks crissi.

I see what he is getting at, but ive seen more than a few soldiers completely emotionally destroyed by a unfaithful wife/gf at home, or a wife/GF at home who cleans out the bank account and etc etc.

Frankly ive seen that take more good soldiers out of the fight than legitimate combat actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying the roomie would have to be my GF....ive made it clear i have no time for that.

I wouldnt put tht you're looking for a gal wou would play a gf without the sex. thats just...weird. Something more along the lines of "appreciate friendly interactions' would be probably better.

I wouldnt put tht you're looking for a gal wou would play a gf without the sex. thats just...weird. Something more along the lines of "appreciate friendly interactions' would be probably better.
    Maybe, i mean its not like im asking for to much interaction.

50% of it is just having a cute girl to glance at when i get home, one that at least pretends to give a shit about me...even if pretending it would be nice.

After working with a buunch of crude, smelly, manly men all day seeing a cutsie chick is nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, now that I think about it, hiring someone to do this without being a live-in might be a better solution. Pay her to come to your house a few times a week to clean dishes and do laundry and make dinner for you. It might be more expensive but to me, that gets rid of the awkwardness.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

10+ Year Old Account

50% of it is just having a cute girl to glance at when i get home, one that at least pretends to give a shit about me...even if pretending it would be nice.

After working with a buunch of crude, smelly, manly men all day seeing a cutsie chick is nice.
    Lol i understand. I think a gal who has mostly guy friends might be a better fit. that way they are less likely to somehow fall for you or some other stupid shit you probably dont want.

I think a friendship typoe deal would develop as long as you dont put it to foreward or anything.

What I mean is that's the reason she is doing it. Let's face it, what you are offering is 200 dollars a month (since you said the average apartment was around 1000 dollars, would mean that living with you would save 200 dollars compared to getting your standard roommate). For these 200 dollars, you expect them to cook for you (around 25-30 minutes a day) and do some light cleaning (lets say 15 minutes max a a day) aswell as pretending to give a crap about you for say 15-30 minutes a day. Aswell as going to movies and spending some time with your hobbies, lets say it average out over a week (If you go to a 2 hour movie, that's at least a 3 hour investment, say you go to 2 every month at maximum, it would be 6 hours total, around 12 minutes every day on average) This would average around a 1 hour 25-30 minute investment in your demands everyday. You roughly work 20 days a week, that would make the salary for this 6.66 dollars an hour. maybe that is a respectable salary where you live, but I doubt it. I have a pretty baseline jobb and I earn 3 times that an hour. Do you see how it might not look like the deal of the decade anymore?

Lol i understand. I think a gal who has mostly guy friends might be a better fit. that way they are less likely to somehow fall for you or some other stupid shit you probably dont want.

I think a friendship typoe deal would develop as long as you dont put it to foreward or anything.

well....wanna be my cutsie roomie?

10+ Year Old Account
    well....wanna be my cutsie roomie?
    1) Im in Texas 2) i dunno if my bf would be cool with that and 3) 423532532

EDIT: BLASTED KITTY!

What I mean is that's the reason she is doing it. Let's face it, what you are offering is 200 dollars a month (since you said the average apartment was around 1000 dollars, would mean that living with you would save 200 dollars compared to getting your standard roommate). For these 200 dollars, you expect them to cook for you (around 25-30 minutes a day) and do some light cleaning (lets say 15 minutes max a a day) aswell as pretending to give a crap about you for say 15-30 minutes a day. Aswell as going to movies and spending some time with your hobbies, lets say it average out over a week (If you go to a 2 hour movie, that's at least a 3 hour investment, say you go to 2 every month at maximum, it would be 6 hours total, around 12 minutes every day on average) This would average around a 1 hour 25-30 minute investment in your demands everyday. You roughly work 20 days a week, that would make the salary for this 6.66 dollars an hour. maybe that is a respectable salary where you live, but I doubt it. I have a pretty baseline jobb and I earn 3 times that an hour. Do you see how it might not look like the deal of the decade anymore?

Do you have any siblings?

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 03:48 PM ----------

1) Im in Texas 2) i dunno if my bf would be cool with that and 3) 423532532

EDIT: BLASTED KITTY!

yeah i guess it would be awkward in that case.

Well, the only thing you can really do is advertise for something like this in a local paper or school paper. If the rent is fairly cheap, you'll get a lot of takers. The challenge is....finding the right one. You could easily interview 100 people and not find a single person that would fit what you want.

2nd thing, you can't force a relationship, which it almost sounds like what you want in your roommate. Requiring an almost "date" night out is a bit much. Maybe having a meal ready and cleaning up could be part of the "lease agreement" but that would be about it.

Honestly, it almost sounds like you want a mom-type around who will cook for you can clean for you. Maybe a retired 50ish grandma type that has all the time in the world and no obligations like school and friends, etc... to get in the way.

How come you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    Well, the only thing you can really do is advertise for something like this in a local paper or school paper. If the rent is fairly cheap, you'll get a lot of takers. The challenge is....finding the right one. You could easily interview 100 people and not find a single person that would fit what you want.

2nd thing, you can't force a relationship, which it almost sounds like what you want in your roommate. Requiring an almost "date" night out is a bit much. Maybe having a meal ready and cleaning up could be part of the "lease agreement" but that would be about it.

Honestly, it almost sounds like you want a mom-type around who will cook for you can clean for you. Maybe a retired 50ish grandma type that has all the time in the world and no obligations like school and friends, etc... to get in the way.
    Almost...as long as they didn't have any rugrats, and was pretty cute (like i said i would like to have something cute to occationally glance at) that might work

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 03:53 PM ----------

How come you ask?
    I mean if you have ever had a sibling live with you at one point in your adult life it would be very similar circumstances.

Deleted

Does that mean the girl you "hire" can only be cute?

Her doing your chores would not be ok i take it? Even though its a girl she looks kind of like a man.
    Its not a bad deal but i think you should broaden your horizons a bit. Unless your taste in woman is very wide.
    Last edited by mmoc0efa2cff2a; 2013-02-03 at 09:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

well yeah I know i have a few requirements of my own, like the person has to at least tolerate cats / dogs. Im sure you'll find someone. It's not like all women are the same. Also, I'd also probably hide in a bunker when its that "week" for her.

Almost...as long as they didn't have any rugrats, and was pretty cute (like i said i would like to have something cute to occationally glance at) that might work

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 03:53 PM ----------

I mean if you have ever had a sibling live with you at one point in your adult life it would be very similar circumstances.
    I have had siblings living with me as an adult and none of them would ever agree to be anything but an equal, they would rather live on the street. And I disagree strongly about it being similar. They would never cook for me unless they were doing it for themselves, nor would they clean up unless they had cleaning duty that week. Nor would they fake interest in my work that they found utterly and mindblowingly boring. You seem to think you're not paying for a service.
    Last edited by Keske; 2013-02-03 at 09:58 PM.

Why...why bring he emotional attachment nesesary with having a GF?

I'm leaving for a deployment within 6 months. My focus is on training, fixing helicopters, and making sure i do my best to prepare the soldiers im responcible for living in a hostile combat enviroment.

Those tasks are exhausting.

I wouldn't make a good BF right now, i think most women would agree. I mena seriously girls, my good looks aside, would you want a BF who is 6 months away from being gone for a year in a place he may never come home from? A guy who is to tired to focus attention on you for more than 30 min a day at most?
    Which is exactly why I told you to just wait it out. Wait till you get back from your deployment then look for a girlfriend.

Also, if you think You are going to avoid all the emotional attachment associated with a girlfriend with this scenario I think you are being kind of naive. You are looking for someone to basically be a surrogate wife with out all the attachments. Someone who is into the things you are into and willing to spend time with you. Dude, that is like the straight up definition of a girlfriend.

Really if you think you can spend 6 months with someone who is into the same things you are and NOT form an emotional attachment then you are in for some hurtin. Lack of sex is moot.

Seriously, just keep eating wendy's for dinner and wait till you come back, then look for a GF.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you rent the room out for a reasonable price and use the money to hire someone to come in and clean / do washing once or twice a week.

As for meals. Keep it simple when you don't have the time. Throw some meat on the bbq and just have nuke some frozen vegetables.