Poll: Do you find it hard to stop thinking about games after playing them for long hours?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Quick survey regarging over stimulation of gaming.

I'm currently looking into different ideas for my dissertation at uni and being and being an avid gamer I am looking into trying to combine the two in order to give a better understanding about computer gaming and different aspects associated with it.

I'm currently studying psychology, looking to move on to do a masters or PHD in something regarding neuropsychology or psychopharmacology. Sadly as a undergraduate I don't think they are going to let me mess around with cognitive enhancing drugs as part of my 4th year project, however I can access other equipment for measuring the brain during activity.

One of my current ideas is looking at the brain activity after excessive gaming sessions. Speaking from experience I know myself and a few other friends who play games find it difficult to sleep at night after playing competitive games. It's almost as if you can still see different things in your head as you try and shut down to sleep, an example recently for me was seeing bloody Zerg drones constantly after playing SC2 for a long period. I would almost compare it to having closed eye visuals as if taking a small amount of hallucinogenic drugs but not nearly as strong.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem for a lot of gamers or just a small minority.

Deleted
    after i finished my realm first lvl90 paladin feat i didn't go to sleep ... no i started doing dailys ...
    i've been playing Wow straight for about 20 or 24 hours ...

when i turned off the computer i could still see my interface inside my head ... that was creepy *g*

I've experienced that as well.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, a lot. Hell my gaming sessions don't even need to be super long anymore to experience this.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Can you please define long hours? There have been times where I've played an MMO for like 12-16 hours non-stop, but my console games...Probably only get like...

Well nevermind lol last game I had was Assassin's Creed and I basically played that all day and night besides food breaks.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 12:44 PM ----------

When I play Pokemon games for long periods of time, I hear the music when I'm trying to sleep lol.

Deleted
    Yes, I do sit and think about a game after playing it for a longer time. That said, I do that about books or movies too.
    And no, it doesn't stop me from sleeping. Yes, sometimes I may end up dreaming something from the game, for example I once remember when I was smaller I was playing the undead campaign of WC3 and the enemy kept sending those arch-mage heroes at me. And I had killed them so much that I had a dream with the sound of that horse and the rider dieing. That said, I still slept well.

Deleted
    I can go from playing games to bed and fall asleep instantly. I worry more about problems in real life than think about games when I go to bed, which can keep me up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Can you please define long hours?
    Doesn't have to be long hours, just an extended period where you feel you can't switch off or the game seems to be stuck playing in your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never stop thinking about games, regardless of play time. Video games are not just part of my life, they are my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, it's always happened with me, it actually helped me solve a few puzzles in Portal 2 lol, waking up going "I GOT IT!"

Nope, I'll be thinking of something else pretty much immediately after turning the pc off... 20 hour gaming sessions or no.

It is normal and has little to do with video games, any activity that makes you focus on it for extended periods of time will continue in your mind long after you have done it, a good example is sex.

If you spent your days watching paint dry, you would likely have it occupy your thoughts for quite a long time, albeit i dont reckon paint trying to be very stimulating, but you get my drift.

Deleted
    When I play alot of dota 2 I usually end up trying to visualize the game and what I can do better and stuff making me unable to sleep

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

I have so many other things im worried about to think of games.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. When I stop playing, it stops playing in my head.

Do I find it difficult?
    No.

That said, however, I do often think about the games I'm playing, even when not playing them. Figuring out the best builds, tactics, stuff like that. I think it's fun and relaxing. To each their own, huh?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    It is normal and has little to do with video games, any activity that makes you focus on it for extended periods of time will continue in your mind long after you have done it, a good example is sex.

If you spent your days watching paint dry, you would likely have it occupy your thoughts for quite a long time, albeit i dont reckon paint trying to be very stimulating, but you get my drift.
    Yeah, this is why I'm looking at it as one of many options. However, I have watched entire TV series in a single day and sure I've thought about it after I've stopped watching but I haven't had actual visuals in my head when I close my eyes like I have when playing some games for extended times. It's not a conscious thing either, it only happens as I close my eyes.

It could all well be something that can happen to any form of stimulation, however it's not something I have came across in any other medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    Yeah, this is why I'm looking at it as one of many options. However, I have watched entire TV series in a single day and sure I've thought about it after I've stopped watching but I haven't had actual visuals in my head when I close my eyes like I have when playing some games for extended times. It's not a conscious thing either, it only happens as I close my eyes.

It could all well be something that can happen to any form of stimulation, however it's not something I have came across in any other medium.
    I'd be inclined to say that's an aspect of focusing on the game. You focus much more on a game than you would a TV show or a movie; at least, I do. I'm not a psychologist or anything, but I'd imagine that more focus = more post-event mental occupation.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

It happens with more than just computer games. After a night of playing card games like MTG I often come walk away with my brain on fire with new ideas, what-if's and counter strategies to whatever gave me trouble on that night. The same thing happened to me just the other week after a few hours of miniature wargaming - I got stomped hard in my game and couldn't sleep while I was conjuring up ways to rip that army to pieces, as well as having the visuals in my head. Heck even some things like spending the day pulling weeds in the garden leaves my seeing a tangled mess of roots & stalks whenever I close my eyes that night.

Deleted
    It's actually better then in terms of finding research and applying it else where if people experience it with different forms of stimuli. If I can use games to measure whats actually happening when this occurs then I could apply it across to similar experiences.