Question about purchasing mounts.

Sorry if this thread is already out there somewhere but I didn't see it.

Its not about dupes at the AH. Just wondering whats going on with people selling the jeweled onyx mounts for like 40k on trade.
    A couple days ago I saw someone trying to sell x5 sandstone drakes for 30k a piece.
    When I check these guys they are all level ones, too.
    Just wondering if this is legit, do people wanna dump their mounts and stuff at reduced prices or do you think they are hacked or stolen?
    They are kind of killing the market with those prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people do having banking alts that sell this stuff, but if someone is selling 5 mounts of the same type I can imagine it's a dupe. Some people might wanna just unload it even at a loss if it's not selling.

Deleted
    So, this thread isn't about dupes at the AH but really that is why the prices are so low and they're all level 1, they are dupes.

Deleted
    chances are they are duped then the gold will be sold for real money.

they don't care about the server as long as they get a quick sell as then they can get some $ for the gold.

It's usually duped items. When you tell them you're willing to purchase one (they can't scam you if you give them the gold at the same time they give you the mount in a trade window), you're usually getting the item from a level 90 character that's standing next to the level 1. I once bought the Crimson Deathcharger for 18,000 gold (on my server, the standard price at the time was 80,000 gold). I later realized it might've been a duped item, and I expected to lose the mount at some point by Blizzard. It never happened. So I got the mount for that price, which was nice. I have no idea what they're doing or how they're doing it.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Sandstone Drakes at 30k isn't much of a loss over JUST the vendor-req mats, if you make the rest yourself. There are people who will bring large volumes of crafted mounts, on a server transfer, to sell them to recoup some of the gold (due to the like 50k max per character). A Level 1 would be far more suspicious. But a higher level toon, I could see being a transfer trying to recoup some of their gold.

Then again, I also am on a server where my faction (Horde) is nearly dead, and as such, never see much of this at all.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

I don't think blizzard would punish those who buy a cheap mount in trade chat just because it might be a duped item there are people that sell stuff cheap without duping no way to know for sure.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The guy could have just bought 5 sandstone drakes before transfering to another realm, to overcome the 50k gold limit transfer. Then he's selling them in the new realm with a bank alt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaizo View Post
    I don't think blizzard would punish those who buy a cheap mount in trade chat just because it might be a duped item there are people that sell stuff cheap without duping no way to know for sure.
    blizzard can track where and when every item came into existence and it's passing through the game through logs, so duped items come out of basically nothing so if blizzard traces the item back they will find it was duped easily and at the same time most likely find the source of multiple other items that they could then trace to the owner now.

just like blizz can restore your items through logs they can also track the creation of items.

Yeah I got the crimson deathcharger last year for a really good price. There was a flood of them at the AHs at that time, and I'm sure they were all duped.
    So first I opened a ticket and asked and the GM answered 'Its cool just buy whatever you want'

This seems alot more shady with the level 1s.
    And really, isn't 80k for a jeweled onyx a decent price, not 30 or even 60?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    And really, isn't 80k for a jeweled onyx a decent price, not 30 or even 60?
    I believe they take 4x 20k (18k with guild discount) vendor mats to make, so anyone selling something as cheap as 30k sure as hell didn't get those mounts legitimately, that's just ridiculous.

Even at 80k you're barely making a profit due to the additional mats.

Quote Originally Posted by Belimawr View Post
    blizzard can track where and when every item came into existence and it's passing through the game through logs, so duped items come out of basically nothing so if blizzard traces the item back they will find it was duped easily and at the same time most likely find the source of multiple other items that they could then trace to the owner now.

just like blizz can restore your items through logs they can also track the creation of items.
    I know they can track it I meant there is no way for the person buying the mount would know if it was duped or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaizo View Post
    I know they can track it I meant there is no way for the person buying the mount would know if it was duped or not.
    hasn't stopped them in the past removing the items without giving the gold back.

I bought my crimson deathcharger for 20k i'm pretty sure something wasn't correct there but hey, still got it.