Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I hear a high pitched squeal at night when lying in bed when it is quiet. I have to fall asleep listening to the tv or radio which stops me from hearing/thinking about it. Been like this for as long as I remember, doesn't bother me much, I've always had trouble with my ears from a young age.

Deleted
    I've had it for nearly a year myself now, i'm not sure what the actual cause of it is, i just woke up one morning with it. (i distinctively remember having played d3 all day before it)

My personal thoughts on it are that i malltreated my ears for years when i was younger and that it finally kicked in.
    The only thing that makes me wonder otherwise is the fact i alter the volume by making certain movements with my head & jaw, especially yawning & twisting my head to either side increases it to an insane volume. I've had neckissues for a long time so it could've been that as well, altho i've went to an osteopath for a while & it didn't help the tinnitus.

There are multiple causes for tinnitus, it's not just hearing loss, you can get it from physical issues with your neck, with your jaw (TMJ), from taking certain meds (aspirine for ex.), although hearing loss is probably the most frequent one.
    Mine sounds like you put the tv on without any channel being displayed, so just a black image & having the transformer inside make a very slight buzz noise, that's the only way i can describe it, it doesn't bother me too much anymore but the first 3 months i had it really freaked me out.

Yeah but sometimes I think it's just sort of me doing it?
    If I stop thinking about it then occasionally it just goes away. I can make it louder or quieter if I concentrate too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had it since childhood & also thought everyone heard that ringing until a few conversations in grade school. I was sent for the typical hearing tests & did OK but in the last few yrs I have lost some of my low tones. I can hear high pitches amazingly well; I can hear alarm systems (un-tripped! haha) & other electronics that others cannot.

I sleep with the tv on or put in a movie/dvd to sleep. The high pitched ringing would certainly keep me awake, although throughout the day I am pretty well practiced in ignoring it. But it is a little like paying attn to your breathing & then you're aware of it too much. Mine rings all the time. all. the. time.

Nothing has ever abated it. Several diff dr.s have said differing things & differing opinions on it & nothing over the counter or 'old wives tale' has ever stopped or lessened it. One thought I had Meniere's Disease but my tinnitus is even in both ears & constant. I sometimes have vertigo.

*hugs & *comfort to all that need it <3

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Tinnitus patients please chime in on your experiences!

For those that don't know, tinnitus is a condition where a person always has a very high pitched ringing sound in the ear but can not be heard unless it's very quiet.

I seem to have a small case of tinnitus. What I don't understand though is that I seemed to have this ever since I could remember. I thought it was normal to have a slight ringing in the ears. One of the causes is loud sounds. Now I'm a avid earphones user but never do I play music at full volume. Also I had this ever since I was a kid. So it can't be that.
    You can get tinnitus-like problems from other things than actual tinnitus. Perhaps you are just very observant of a noise in your house, rather than a noise that's in your ear. To my knowledge, you tinnitus is something you develop over many years, but not something you're born with.

It can be stress-related, it can be that you've got a cold, it could be that you've got a lot of wax in your ears and pressure on your ear drums.

I'd recommend against using earbuds, the type that you insert into you ear. They really ain't good for you. Bacteria thrive on them as well, which ain't good for you ears.

I've had an ear problem, but it wasn't tinnitus. I don't know the fancy word for it but it basicly involved me not being able to hear certain frequencies. I got some tapes to listen to in order to fix it, and it did. Listened to them every night so as to train my ears.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-02-04 at 03:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mine just appeared a few days ago. Was sleeping and woke up to an electronic whine. Now it's constantly there. Not sure what brought it on.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosty View Post
    I've had it for nearly a year myself now, i'm not sure what the actual cause of it is, i just woke up one morning with it. (i distinctively remember having played d3 all day before it)

My personal thoughts on it are that i malltreated my ears for years when i was younger and that it finally kicked in.
    The only thing that makes me wonder otherwise is the fact i alter the volume by making certain movements with my head & jaw, especially yawning & twisting my head to either side increases it to an insane volume. I've had neckissues for a long time so it could've been that as well, altho i've went to an osteopath for a while & it didn't help the tinnitus.

There are multiple causes for tinnitus, it's not just hearing loss, you can get it from physical issues with your neck, with your jaw (TMJ), from taking certain meds (aspirine for ex.), although hearing loss is probably the most frequent one.
    Mine sounds like you put the tv on without any channel being displayed, so just a black image & having the transformer inside make a very slight buzz noise, that's the only way i can describe it, it doesn't bother me too much anymore but the first 3 months i had it really freaked me out.
    Neck tension and headaches will affect your ears, but I don't think you can get tinnitus from it. Tinnitus to me, is something that never goes away, never. I have a friend that suffers from pretty severe tinnitus, and he says it can be really taxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Yeah but sometimes I think it's just sort of me doing it?
    If I stop thinking about it then occasionally it just goes away. I can make it louder or quieter if I concentrate too.
    I used to be able to do that as a teenager. It's got to do with your eardrums.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 04:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mekanikos View Post
    Mine just appeared a few days ago. Was sleeping and woke up to an electronic whine. Now it's constantly there. Not sure what brought it on.
    Wax. But don't start shoving Q-tips in your ears, that could just make it worse, like loading powder into a cannon. It'll clear out.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-02-04 at 03:46 AM.

I've had tinnitus and menier's disease for about. 10 years. It really sucked in the beginning but I'm used to it now. I highly suggest you see a good ent doc or a neurologist and have a full work up. Don't use earphones at all. It makes it much worse. A white noise machine near your bed at night will he drown out the ringing, making sleeping easier if it is ringing really bad. A lower sodium diet may help. There is fluid in your ears too much fluid may make the ringing worse, sodium may increase the amount of fluid in your inner ear. Which is the case with me. Good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Wax. But don't start shoving Q-tips in your ears, that could just make it worse, like loading powder into a cannon. It'll clear out.
    That was one of the reasons I've read for sudden onset, so I've been careful around my ears, but it seems to get worse when I'm exhausted, so I wonder if the lack of sleep is not helping.
    Tashar Moondancer
    Adamantoise

Battlemaster Sabria
    Lightning's Blade
    (H) Protection Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

Lol, wax. I have been dealing with this for 20 years now, and some days I feel like gouging my ears with a qtip. I am forced to use a fan or some other device just for white noise at night otherwise I cannot sleep.

For the masses that have this, it is not brought on by wax, hell wax would have helped buffer some of the noise that led to the issue causing it. Extremely loud noises, music, gunfire, etc. All of these damage the inner ear causing it to happen.

There is no cure at this time, so don't waste your money on doctors. Stress does in fact help trigger the headaches, and those in turn seem to amplify the symptoms of it.

Good luck to you, as I can tell you first hand it sucks. White noise at low decibels will help you sleep or in some cases even concentrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    It's normal for people to get it now and again as you age. It happens throughout your life, and it's believed that it's to signify that you'll be unable to hear pitches of sound as high you previously could. Usually, it'll disappear after a few minutes, but it's very noticable while it's there, before slowly fading out. When it stops, your hearing will take some time to readjust as it's just had a loud sound to deal with and so everything will seem quieter than normal. It's entirely normal to get it now and again. I had an episode of it a few weeks ago. It's annoying when it happens, but it stops after a while.

To have it all the time though certainly isn't normal. Go see a doctor about it.
    This happened to me while reading these thread -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    And yes, when its silent enough you can hear the blood rush through your ears but the mind filters it mostly and unless you focus on it you wont hear it, as such while technically its correct to say that everyone has it, its not realistically, as tinnitus is what you call to what is already a problem, meaning you hear it regardless of silence.

Also is what you hear when you put a sea shell close to your ears, your own blood.
    Along with the tinnitus as a small child, I would often hear this 'wuh-whoosh wuh-whoosh' when I laid down to go to bed. There were a few lovely antique pictures of angels in my room & I thought I was hearing my guardian angel's wings slowly flapping as I fell to sleep

if you had tinnitus from that long i would suggest you to to stop listening to loud music and avoid rock concerts
    there are ways of curing tinnitus in natural way also there are some holistic and other ways to deal with it ..you can watch this youtube.com/watch?v=e3S_9306MSk for more info .
    stop taking alcohol if you do so also take less coffee

Doesn't have to be high pitched ringing. Recently I have been very stuffy on the left side and my Eustachian tube just feel so clogged for almost two weeks now. I get a lot of ringing sometimes and more often it's hissing sounds, like a leaking air bed, constantly, especially at night.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaingo View Post
    Lol, wax. I have been dealing with this for 20 years now, and some days I feel like gouging my ears with a qtip. I am forced to use a fan or some other device just for white noise at night otherwise I cannot sleep.

For the masses that have this, it is not brought on by wax, hell wax would have helped buffer some of the noise that led to the issue causing it. Extremely loud noises, music, gunfire, etc. All of these damage the inner ear causing it to happen.

There is no cure at this time, so don't waste your money on doctors. Stress does in fact help trigger the headaches, and those in turn seem to amplify the symptoms of it.

Good luck to you, as I can tell you first hand it sucks. White noise at low decibels will help you sleep or in some cases even concentrate.
    Wax can actually cause it, a few years ago i could suddenly barely hear anything anymore from my left ear & i had a pretty high pitched high volume tone in that ear for over 3 weeks until i finally went to see a doctor (stupidly i thought it would clear on its own), my ears (both) were CLOGGED with wax, he pulled out two huge balls of wax you wouldn't even think fit in there, and the tinnitus dissapeared instantly.

I've been struck with permanent tinnitus from some unknown cause (either neck/jaw related or me malltreating my ears too badly over the years) meanwhile though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have it a little. Probably cause of allergies.

Deleted
    I have tinnitus in my left ear, sometimes it's loud and sometimes I don't notice it. I'm not sure yet what is causing it, it may be caffeine as I drink alot of Coke but I've tried to slow down to check if that's the cause. If that's not the case, anxiety may be the cause. I don't believe it's ear damage because I tend to not listen to music etc as loud as other people my age, and they haven't gotten tinnitus yet.

I've had it since november 2011.