Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Immigrants & National Anthems ((DK)Not USA))

***The reason I wrote "(Not USA)" is because I know how Americans are like that (not an insult), but if I googled this matter EVERYTHING that came up was about how George Bush says it should be a necessity to become an American citizen.***

No, i've moved to Denmark, from the UK, and you might know that since i've made a few threads about the language already seeking help, however I have just one question.

Do I have an obligation through law (or more likely, etiquette), to learn the National Anthem? Also, i was in the position at a party where everyone around me was singing it, and I stood in silence. Now, assuming I knew the words, should I still sing it? Is it deemed impolite? I'd rather not because if someone sang the Scottish National Anthem and had no relevance to Scotland; I wouldn't be offended but thinking it a bit strange. So, what should I do? Learn it, and sing it when it comes? Or stand in silence, and maybe bow my head (which seems the most polite to do)?

If it helps, I moved to live with my girlfriend, i'm not a refugee or asylum seeker.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the only thing thats really obligated is to stand up and honor it. You dont need to sing it. I know i just stand up in silence, and ive never been hassled about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    mouth the words I guess so you don't feel too self conscience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    mouth the words I guess so you don't feel too self conscience.
    The problem isn't knowing the words or not, but I imagine at least some people would get offended or bothered by it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in America, and they play their national anthem to start any event where three+ people are present. Out of respect I usually stand, with my arms behind my back. It's an acknowledgement of respect but it isn't my anthem, so I won't sing it.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    just saying is all. I watch a lot of football games and hockey and I see lots of americans/canadiens singing the wrong lyrics at the wrong time.

Deleted
    i dont even sing/know the words to our own anthem. i would stand and humm or something out of respect, wouldnt refuse to do it or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    I live in America, and they play their national anthem to start any event where three+ people are present. Out of respect I usually stand, with my arms behind my back. It's an acknowledgement of respect but it isn't my anthem, so I won't sing it.
    I nearly got lynched in the Yankee Stadium in New York for not standing every 3 minutes for the national anthem or a digital flag.

When i pointed out I was British, a few people chuckled and understood - it was all in good humour.

However, I had bought a ticket outside the stadium and was in the equivalent of the kop' her ein the UK, so me and my friend were something of a curiosity.

And trying to get pissed on dishwater Miller Light...

Meh it's just a song...hell in the US it's not even a good song. people put way to much into inanimate objects in the name of respect. Flags, songs, etc.

With that said I would certainly stand so as not to be the only ass hole sitting down. When in rome...
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I really have more of an issue with the forced recitation of the Pledge of Allegience. After about age 8, i just stopped doing anything but stand. heck I would even make up my own lyrics like Calvin did once in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    ***The reason I wrote "(Not USA)" is because I know how Americans are like that (not an insult), but if I googled this matter EVERYTHING that came up was about how George Bush says it should be a necessity to become an American citizen.***

No, i've moved to Denmark, from the UK, and you might know that since i've made a few threads about the language already seeking help, however I have just one question.

Do I have an obligation through law (or more likely, etiquette), to learn the National Anthem? Also, i was in the position at a party where everyone around me was singing it, and I stood in silence. Now, assuming I knew the words, should I still sing it? Is it deemed impolite? I'd rather not because if someone sang the Scottish National Anthem and had no relevance to Scotland; I wouldn't be offended but thinking it a bit strange. So, what should I do? Learn it, and sing it when it comes? Or stand in silence, and maybe bow my head (which seems the most polite to do)?

If it helps, I moved to live with my girlfriend, i'm not a refugee or asylum seeker.
    First off, I'm Danish.

No, you don't have any obligation through law to learn the national anthem as far as I know. It is used rather rarely, only for new years, things to do with the royal family or when national teams in sports play. Many of my friends and relatives aren't good singers and as such, don't sing it. Even for new years. I'd say it'd probably be good if you knew the words, but you don't have to sing along. It'd probably also be weird if most people stood and sang it and you just sat around. I'd say standing up as a show of respect would be a fine idea, even if you don't sing it. Not singing along isn't unusual in Denmark.

Hope I helped a bit.

Whenever someone's national anthem is played you stand for it, that's just common courtesy - I would doubt unless you take citizenship you'd be legally obliged to sing along, merely not do anything disrespectful, stand up, if you're wearing a hat remove it & suchlike. Unlike someone above I didn't get grief at Yankee Stadium (in the roughest part of the park!) because that's what I did, they expect tourists out there so don't tend to mind if you're not singing along.

Even in situations whereby you might not respect the anthem politically it's always nice to remember that not everyone in that country may believe in it either, but show them some respect.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Im not even sure most Danes know the national anthem past the first verse.
    I sure don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Strange, because I stand and sing whenever the Canadian anthem plays at any sporting event, out of respect/love for Canadians.

I'm not criticizing you. I just think its strange.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 11:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i dont even sing/know the words to our own anthem. i would stand and humm or something out of respect, wouldnt refuse to do it or anything.
    I'm sure many Americans think you stole our old anthem.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post

And trying to get pissed on dishwater Miller Light...
    Why would you order anything "light" ... maybe a corona light

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post

I'm sure many Americans think you stole our old anthem.
    I'm sure most Americans haven't given it one thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given how awful God Save Our Biscuit Tin (Aussie slang for God Save the Queen) is, I can't really give an unbiased statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    First off : You need to get the poster version of the Wookie Jesus in your avatar. Preferably put it in your living room.

As for the national anthem, I'd say no. Admittedly I don't know how picky Danes are with that sort of thing but if they're anything like us Swedes most people won't care/notice, especially if you're not actually Danish.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMRC-ldq_o

only reason i know my nations national anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Given how awful God Save Our Biscuit Tin (Aussie slang for God Save the Queen) is, I can't really give an unbiased statement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKZg_ZB4SkU

Superior version

The brigadier march is good though
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Why would you order anything "light" ... maybe a corona light

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 06:01 PM ----------

I'm sure most Americans haven't given it one thought.
    I could be wrong, but doesn't lite beer have SLIGHTLY fewer calories?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!