Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've had in since forever... even my mother used to say I wouldn't sleep unless she was vacuuming, the sound helped. I sleep with fans on, all year, for the noise they make. Otherwise when it's too quiet.. the ringing starts.. and gets louder.. and louder.. and louder.. *twitch* I always have some form of background noise on. Usually the radio at low during the day. Have had my hearing tested and it was pretty good in fact. I hear a lot of things most don't, or at least well before they do. Just don't ever stick me into a sensory deprivation chamber >.<

I do, usually I cant even hear it unless im in a quiet place, its not that bad though I kinda brought it on myself by not wearing earplugs at raves and stuff.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You should talk to your doctor. Right now it appears that you are totally uneducated as to this condition's various causes. Yes, some people have tinnitus their whole lives. There are a number of treatments that can help you out though if you talk to a medical professional and not a bunch of random gamers on a message board.
    Dont assume people in here are simply bunch of gamers, gaming is not a profession (for most) and lot of us do have medicine backgrounds or knowledge aside from games.
    Tinnitus is not my area but i did study it in pathology, honestly you can find enough information on the internet so i dont think OP is looking for medical advice per se, but more towards other people's experiences and ways to deal with it.

Everyone deals with things differently, medicine in general is sadly too generalizing, what cures one person might do crap all to another, even worsen it, so yes, asking other people who had it for experiences might help the OP more than just visiting a general practitioner, it also has its own risk obviously, but its not bad to ask people for advice to complement what the doctors say.

Also talking with other people might not just give you "solutions" or things that help with it, it might do something even more important, it might give you an underlying cause, pathologies can be caused by numerous things and GP's focus on treating symptoms which is fine and many times deals with the disease, but it doesnt always and many times the patients arent educated enough to allow them to give a GP enough information to understand the underlying causes, talking with other people might reveal something very mundane in the eyes of the OP that is actually crucial and will further help with treatments.

That said, dont try to take on cures that can have adverse effects without talking with an actual doctor.
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-02-03 at 07:35 PM.

Some of the people here who says they've had it their whole life doesnt really have tinnitus. Everyone hears a certain high pitch ring if you really concentrate to it. It doesnt mean that you have tinnitus.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethon View Post
    I feel like for a few reasons you need to be hit.
    First off low blood flow to your brain isn't going to cause Tinnitus, before it caused many many other Symptoms These raw food diets are also starting to piss me off. you do lose nutrients when you cook some foods however it it can and will severely lower your chance of getting sick from said food. eating raw veggies is a good thing, only eating raw food isn't however. gluten is not bad if you're not allergic and Salt and sugar are needed by your body in moderation.

For the last one as someone on a lot of mental medicines stop. If they were depressed they would know it. and I really doubt that is a cause of of Their tinnitus. and if it was depression can be handled like it should be.
    I said HEAD not brain ffs. Tinnitus almost drove me insane. And if I would listen to the doctors or people like you, and settled with "there's no cure", i would still had it now. But I probably read every bit of information i could find online about tinnitus. Official, unofficial, alternative threatment, ayurveda,...just name it. So yeah, I would say i know about tinnitus just about everything one can know. I post this that someone can use it in good faith, cos i know it's fucking one of the most anoying things one can get. And yeah, there is A LOT you can do to make T dissapear, I just named few most common things i KNOW it works, so make yourself usefull and post someting constructive for a change, not just fucking bashing things you clearly don't know nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Some of the people here who says they've had it their whole life doesnt really have tinnitus. Everyone hears a certain high pitch ring if you really concentrate to it. It doesnt mean that you have tinnitus.
    Been diagnosed with it by a few doctors. Possibly due to a couple of head trauma incidents as a child. Some can have it their whole life. Concentrating doesn't bring it on.. it's there.. it's always there, even behind the background noises. There's no 'turning it off or on'. For me, the noise is akin to someone having left a tv on but no picture is present. That high pitched hissing whine that just keeps raising in volume.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. Probably because I listen to too much music much too loudly.

From my psycho study I know that tinnitus is mostly a psychological thing and that you can ignore it. The more I think about it, the louder it gets.

I believe Gav from the miracleofsound youtube channel was diagnosed with permanent tinnitus I think. Sounds like a real pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I can only hear it when i'm trying to fall asleep. Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Drewan View Post
    I believe Gav from the miracleofsound youtube channel was diagnosed with permanent tinnitus I think. Sounds like a real pain.
    Naaah not really, the body adapts quite well, you would be surprised by the amount of people who are unaware of the constant muscle pain they are in until someone touches the spot or they have to go into muscle relaxants and then come off, or get a massage, then its hell because they become aware of it and takes a while to get in the background once again.

It will be a pain at start ,then he will get used to it

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 08:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I can only hear it when i'm trying to fall asleep. Is that normal?
    Yes, and that can mean that the tinnitus you have is caused by infection, but not garanteed.

Cortisol levels drop around 23-24, this is why a lot of problems get aggravated at night.

Or it can mean it is so quiet you only notice it while its silent enough, or it can have to do with body position, im sure there are other reasons but those are the most apparent to me right now... check with a doctor.

Edit: what is your age?
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-02-03 at 08:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Naaah not really, the body adapts quite well, you would be surprised by the amount of people who are unaware of the constant muscle pain they are in until someone touches the spot or they have to go into muscle relaxants and then come off, or get a massage, then its hell because they become aware of it and takes a while to get in the background once again.

It will be a pain at start ,then he will get used to it

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 08:17 PM ----------

Yes, and that can mean that the tinnitus you have is caused by infection, but not garanteed.

Cortisol levels drop around 23-24, this is why a lot of problems get aggravated at night.

Or it can mean it is so quiet you only notice it while its silent enough, or it can have to do with body position, im sure there are other reasons but those are the most apparent to me right now... check with a doctor.

Edit: what is your age?

Had bad ears my whole life..wore a hearing aid as a kid but stopped using it. Always had problems with my ear plugging up with crap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post

Had bad ears my whole life..wore a hearing aid as a kid but stopped using it. Always had problems with my ear plugging up with crap too.
    Pressure can cause it yes, the fact that it only happens at night can still have to do with infection although i would think more akin due to being prone blood pressure rises a bit to the head (isnt working against gravity anymore), together with the pressure exerted by a blockage it can produce the sound.

Keep in mind this is not a proper diagnosis, i cant do that via the internet nor as just a student unethical, but that is what comes to mind, if it bothers you you should seek a doctor

Hi

It was Mid-2011 when I got a tinnitus with 23 on my right ear, mainly because of working like a bitch and no other activities to compensate everything. Result is a permanent tinnitus with 17 KHz (it's exactly the sound of old TV's when they are on). Threatments were several meds over weeks and months with heavy side effects...
    What I was told by several docs: every person has tinnitus, and in very quiet situations nearly everone can hear it but does not recognize it as one. There is no real working therapy to fully "defeat" a tinnitus at all, but the working one's for most of the people were
    1) find music with sounds that have an overlay-effect to forget about the little man in your ears
    2) avoid stress and try to learn methods to relieve stress
    3) change your life and your habits, there is something thats going really really wrong, try to find & work on it

Of course, there are some therapies that work for some people, i.e. laser-therapy and others offered in the hospital, but the physical explanation is synapse misfire in the specific sound frequency and in current medicine is no working operation or medical threatment to fix it.

Hope this helps for some better understanding, and sorry for the "bad english"
    Regards from Austria

Deleted
    I've noticed the ringing many many times, but never actually wondered what it was.

Yep i got this ..... think since i was like 4-5 had some ear truble and got some ...erhh dunno the english word for it *drain* ? in kept falling out tho so was put in a few times .. i think its from that.

dont realy note it anymore as i cant *hear* it with tv or radio on .. and i got that all the time even when i go to sleep ( on timer ofc )

I've had tinnitus ever since about 8 years old. Finally went to the doctor about it when I was 18 and he pretty much told me the same thing as everyone else. There is no cure and just learn to live with it so that's what I have done. I can tune it out for the most part during the day when there is lots of noise it's just trying to fall asleep that is the killer for me. I've learned that turning a fan on when trying to fall asleep works wonders, white noise is the best and for me it's the soothing sound of a running fan, can hardly hear the tinnitus at all and for some reason, any sound other than my own tinnitus is better than silence. Hope this advice finds someone.

Deleted
    Had tinnitus since early teens. Only ever hear it when I'm about to sleep and I think about it (if I don't think about it, it's just there and I don't "hear" it). But if I do think about it, man it is loud sometimes.

This happens to me sometimes randomly out of nowhere for no reason for a short period of time then goes away. I have no trouble hearing.

On a side note I ALWAYS have music playing whenever I am playing games or going to sleep. Without music playing (or a constantly changing sound) I am unable to focus at all or fall asleep in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Liitho View Post
    Hi

It was Mid-2011 when I got a tinnitus with 23 on my right ear, mainly because of working like a bitch and no other activities to compensate everything. Result is a permanent tinnitus with 17 KHz (it's exactly the sound of old TV's when they are on). Threatments were several meds over weeks and months with heavy side effects...
    What I was told by several docs: every person has tinnitus, and in very quiet situations nearly everone can hear it but does not recognize it as one. There is no real working therapy to fully "defeat" a tinnitus at all, but the working one's for most of the people were
    1) find music with sounds that have an overlay-effect to forget about the little man in your ears
    2) avoid stress and try to learn methods to relieve stress
    3) change your life and your habits, there is something thats going really really wrong, try to find & work on it

Of course, there are some therapies that work for some people, i.e. laser-therapy and others offered in the hospital, but the physical explanation is synapse misfire in the specific sound frequency and in current medicine is no working operation or medical threatment to fix it.

Hope this helps for some better understanding, and sorry for the "bad english"
    Regards from Austria
    What you describes is mainly tinnitus caused by elevated blood pressure or improper body posture, there are pathological tinnitus that come from disease such as an infection, malformation of the ear bones, cancer and so forth.
    And yes, when its silent enough you can hear the blood rush through your ears but the mind filters it mostly and unless you focus on it you wont hear it, as such while technically its correct to say that everyone has it, its not realistically, as tinnitus is what you call to what is already a problem, meaning you hear it regardless of silence.

Also is what you hear when you put a sea shell close to your ears, your own blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Welcome to the 21st century, where people believe doctors and yet somehow most of the population is becoming dumber, fatter, more sterile, less physically fit, gets worse eyesight and hearing, eating and sleep problems, you name it!
    That is because the medical system is messed up, it treats symptoms and not diseases, but it is messed up because the people refuse to change their lifestyles and prevent disease, they want a magic pill that cures it all, there is far more focus on treating symptoms than to treat the underlying problems.
    There is a reason western medicine is also known as "allopatic", it will replace your current condition with another or "trauma medicine" or "war medicine" meaning its the best for serious problems but neglects underlying issues.

But dont blame the medical system, it does wonders and quite a lot of people wouldnt be dead if it werent for it, the amount of people that are simply prevents it from doing "good medicine" which is personalized and looks at the body as a whole and takes a lot of care for the person constantly, but fast and easy its what people want, and a fast fix and that is what the general medicine provides. (not to mention resources required)

Also people screw up a lot and it has nothing to do with medicine, its peoples fucking their lives and then expecting doctors to be miracle workers.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aethon View Post
    I feel like for a few reasons you need to be hit.
    First off low blood flow to your brain isn't going to cause Tinnitus, before it caused many many other Symptoms These raw food diets are also starting to piss me off. you do lose nutrients when you cook some foods however it it can and will severely lower your chance of getting sick from said food. eating raw veggies is a good thing, only eating raw food isn't however. gluten is not bad if you're not allergic and Salt and sugar are needed by your body in moderation.

For the last one as someone on a lot of mental medicines stop. If they were depressed they would know it. and I really doubt that is a cause of of Their tinnitus. and if it was depression can be handled like it should be.
    First of all, wrong wrong and wrong.

First, tinnitus CAN be caused by blood pressure, there is a reason you can hear your own blood when you exercice a lot if it is silent enough, sometimes when its not silent, cronic cases will either indicate generally elevated blood pressure or a postural problem, or malformation in some structure in the inner ear or pressure being applied by say a cancer or excess accumulation of debries (would need quite a lot though), those are physical problems, then there are pathological problems such as infection, but yes, it can be caused by blood pressure, do not claim for someone to be uninformed while you are yourself.

Raw food raw food... this is an interesting topic, as a mediterranian person i was raised on most being raw aside from meats, also asians eat raw fish and meats.
    Its fairly safe unless you have a compromised immune system to start with or gastric problems or you are out of luck and there is a really strong pathogen in the food, if that is the case it will still affect you as while heat might kill the bacteria, it wont destroy several toxins produced by the bacteria,fungus,whatever.
    But yes it helps to cook it, depending on what it is.

The problem comes from highly processed foods, right now i cant really think of a reason why raw food would cure tinnitus aside from lowering blood pressure but one can do that without raw food at all, just more care.

Glutten... is arguable, while its mostly for celiac disease pathologically or food intolerances, its does however been shown by some research that it can reduce nutrient absorption, while not something that a normal healthy person should worry about, it can affect people with already nutrition or synthesis related problems.

Salt and sugar, we do have too much salt in general, while it wont kill you at all it can complicate existing problems and in the long term can cause problems.
    Sugar, a lot of problems are caused by sugar actually and should be avoided in fast releasing forms, that is why you are told to eat whole grains instead of simple grains, the existing fiber will slow down breakdown and consequence formation of glucogen, which while the amount of sugar you get will be the same, the time period it takes is different, enough to prevent an insulin spike in the blood due to high blood sugar, high insuline spikes result in abrupt absorbtion of sugar by cells which then leads low blood sugar, and consequent release of glucagon (this is why people get obese and its hard to lose weight as the subsequent crash will make you have too low blood sugar which then increases appetite) Not to mention the whole diabetes type 2 problem.

Your body needs sugar and salt, salt is regulated by a normal diet, the amount of salt snacks for example have is silly.
    Sugar is essential, the problem isnt "lots of sugar" as much as it is "fast releasing" types of sugar.

If you have say a pound of sugar and eat it 1 tea spoon every 5m for a whole day, its going to have far less negative effects than if you were to eat it all in a row.
    (this are exaggerated numbers simply to convey information, dont take it to the letter)

Reason why eating an apple which is fairly rich in sugar (fructose) is better than eating grapes, the apple will take longer to break down due to fiber, as such it gives a slower and steadier supply instead of a spike, as grapes dont have that much fiber.

The body does its best to keep balance and it does an amazing work considering most circumstances but it can only do so much, moderation is best.

(edited as some phrases didnt make sense, sorry im tired)
    Last edited by Kurioxan; 2013-02-03 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks for your responses everyone I thought I was the only one here. Seems it's a pretty common problem I guess I should see a doctor then see what he thinks about it.