Page 1 of 3
LastLast

anyone with tinnitus here?

Tinnitus patients please chime in on your experiences!

For those that don't know, tinnitus is a condition where a person always has a very high pitched ringing sound in the ear but can not be heard unless it's very quiet.

I seem to have a small case of tinnitus. What I don't understand though is that I seemed to have this ever since I could remember. I thought it was normal to have a slight ringing in the ears. One of the causes is loud sounds. Now I'm a avid earphones user but never do I play music at full volume. Also I had this ever since I was a kid. So it can't be that.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had this for years and years when I was younger. My doctor monitored it and it thankfully went away around the age of 11. Like you, I just assumed that everyone had it until my mother heard me talking about it casually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh freaking god yes.

Though for me, I have to blame loud noises. During college summers, I worked as an interpreter at a historical fort, and the job involved regular black powder firings. We did a noonday firing every day, year round, bang-on the nuclear clock (part of the process was setting your watch before heading up). Cannon are just as loud whether you're firing a blank or an actual round.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have it all the time aswell.. Like someone said, I dont even think about it unless im reminded of it - then it gets annoying.
    Tbh im too lazy to do anything about it; it really isn't that much of a problem.
    I suppose, if there were posters everywhere saying "tinitus", I'dd be reminded of it too often and then fix it
    I like juice

To have it all the time though certainly isn't normal. Go see a doctor about it.
    Tbh im too lazy to do anything about it;
    There isn't anything you can do, there is no cure. I went to doc, that's all he said to me, and to avoid loud noise and such.

I have had it for as long as I remember, so until I heard about tinitus I thought it was normal. Ive been around shooting ranges all my life, so I guess ive got it from the number of shoots fired nearby when I didnt have ear protection on, which has happened quite alot.

Good thing is I often forget it, it only annoys me when im trying to sleep, so I often sleep with some music in the background.

Also, thanks for fucking reminding me damn you ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    I had to google it =(
    Actually, in really silent room i can hear some noise (like someone turned on TV with old kinescope or high-frequency generator working on a frequency close to the audible). If i turn on PC or start talking i can't hear it anymore. Things are getting worse if i don't clean up my ears for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    I have had it for as long as I remember, so until I heard about tinitus I thought it was normal. Ive been around shooting ranges all my life, so I guess ive got it from the number of shoots fired nearby when I didnt have ear protection on, which has happened quite alot.

Good thing is I often forget it, it only annoys me when im trying to sleep, so I often sleep with some music in the background.

Also, thanks for fucking reminding me damn you ^^
    Grandfather once told me that artilleryman used to keep their mouth open when volley occur so they wont become deaf even without ear protection. Ever wondered if it works
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-02-03 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Grandfather once told me that artilleryman used to keep their mouth open when volley occur so they wont become deaf even without ear protection. Ever wondered if it works
    Heard some talk about it in the Army aswell, that people on the .50 should keep their mouth open when firing. Cant remember if any officers said it but heard some of the guys mention it sometimes. For releasing the pressure or something like that...

I have tinnitus loud enough to hear all the time. Many people have it NOT "only in a quiet room". It's loud enough it keeps me from sleeping at times.

I can hear it in the shower sometimes...it's that loud.

Mine came from an adverse reaction to a medication...not loud noise. Remember, your life can change with one pill...be careful what you do to your body even if it's from your doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Tinnitus patients please chime in on your experiences!

For those that don't know, tinnitus is a condition where a person always has a very high pitched ringing sound in the ear but can not be heard unless it's very quiet.
    That's not entirely true, only for some mild cases. My grandfather had severe tinnitus due to his old job at a Yugoslavian airbase. It was so bad he had to put the television on full volume to understand it. Whenever I tried to talk to him, I had to sit down right next to him and talk in direction of his ears. His tinnitus was just too loud.

Deleted
    I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember. But I don't have a beeping noise, it's more like electric buzzing of some sort. It's hard to describe the sound yourself. It doesn't affect my daily life in any way, but it's really annoying if I focus on hearing it.

i've had tinnitus in my right ear for more or less a decade now, it only manage to be disruptive in the sense that then i try to sleep it very clearly pierce the silence and cause me to have some trouble falling asleep every once in a blue moon.

Deleted
    Ah tinnitus... it's not labeled "curse from the gods" for nothing. I had it for almost 2 years , only in right ear, non-stop (well almost). Things i learned is that doctors don't know sh!t about it. They all look in ear, but in like 90% of the time, tinnitus is a simptom for some other imbalance in the body.
    Most know causes for tinnitus:
    1) Check the neck (first few "disks" from the spine could be dislocated and can block proper bloodflow, visit osteopath for threatment. That's why ginko biloba can & does help in good number of cases (stimulates blood flow, but still you should remove cause, not only simptom. One can do neck and head exercises at home to improve blood flow also)
    2) Diet (raw food diet or even paleo diet can cure you of tinnitus. Avoid ALL processed foods, remove sugar,salt,gluten,...eat & drink as clean as you can)
    3) Tinnitus is also be "cured" by anti antidepressant drugs. That why some also called it "voice of the soul". It can be caused by repressed feeling or depression. In many cases with antidepressant it dissapears completly. If you have "emotion-based tinnitus" I strongly recommend you to use EFT (emotional freedom technique). EFT does wonders people! It's free, quick,almost to good to be true. Google it!

Deleted
    I have a pretty bad case of tinnitus caused by sounds of explosions and firearms. So far the only "cures" i heard about seemed bogus to me and google results (often news) only shows "A cure might be near!". I can only fall asleep with my radio on listening to sounds of nature, otherwise it's too much.

If it's caused by damage to the ear, there is no cure. Damage can be from trauma, medication, normal aging, etc.

Most of the time the damage is above the ranges that doctors test (8k). My severe tinnitus is upward of 12k primarily as is my hearing loss, but on the standard audiologist test my hearing is perfect. I see so many people with tinnitus say, "my hearing is perfect- it's not that!" but a high-frequency test reveals loss precisely where the tinnitus tones are coming from.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had tinnitus for pretty much all my life.

When I was 2 I had a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tympanoplasty which was a little less than successful.

I had pretty bad scaring as a result which gave me tinnitus. The tubes were never removed like they were suppose to after 6-12 months so I had another surgery to get them removed 13 years later. That one only aggravated the tinnitus...

When I was little (4-9ish) I thought it was normal to be laying in bed and hear what seemed to be 90+ db drum beats. While not strictly tinnitus it was another result of my botched surgery. Some blood vessel was in direct contact with my ear drum which meant every time my heart beat when I was laying down sound like a concert drum.

I still do have the buzzing tinnitus today and probably will for the rest of my life.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Some medicine can cause tinitus as well, as a side-effect. My girlfriend got it from some achne-meds she took as a teen, and if she's on headache medicin she sometimes gets it. So watch out for that too!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    best tip i can give, is to tune out a radio ( tune it to the hiss) and listen to that while going to sleep. That way its never really perfectly silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus82 View Post
    Ah tinnitus... it's not labeled "curse from the gods" for nothing. I had it for almost 2 years , only in right ear, non-stop (well almost). Things i learned is that doctors don't know sh!t about it. They all look in ear, but in like 90% of the time, tinnitus is a simptom for some other imbalance in the body.
    Most know causes for tinnitus:
    1) Check the neck (first few "disks" from the spine could be dislocated and can block proper bloodflow, visit osteopath for threatment. That's why ginko biloba can & does help in good number of cases (stimulates blood flow, but still you should remove cause, not only simptom. One can do neck and head exercises at home to improve blood flow also)
    2) Diet (raw food diet or even paleo diet can cure you of tinnitus. Avoid ALL processed foods, remove sugar,salt,gluten,...eat & drink as clean as you can)
    3) Tinnitus is also be "cured" by anti antidepressant drugs. That why some also called it "voice of the soul". It can be caused by repressed feeling or depression. In many cases with antidepressant it dissapears completly. If you have "emotion-based tinnitus" I strongly recommend you to use EFT (emotional freedom technique). EFT does wonders people! It's free, quick,almost to good to be true. Google it!
    I feel like for a few reasons you need to be hit.
    First off low blood flow to your brain isn't going to cause Tinnitus, before it caused many many other Symptoms These raw food diets are also starting to piss me off. you do lose nutrients when you cook some foods however it it can and will severely lower your chance of getting sick from said food. eating raw veggies is a good thing, only eating raw food isn't however. gluten is not bad if you're not allergic and Salt and sugar are needed by your body in moderation.

For the last one as someone on a lot of mental medicines stop. If they were depressed they would know it. and I really doubt that is a cause of of Their tinnitus. and if it was depression can be handled like it should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aethon View Post
    I feel like for a few reasons you need to be hit.
    First off low blood flow to your brain isn't going to cause Tinnitus, before it caused many many other Symptoms These raw food diets are also starting to piss me off. you do lose nutrients when you cook some foods however it it can and will severely lower your chance of getting sick from said food. eating raw veggies is a good thing, only eating raw food isn't however. gluten is not bad if you're not allergic and Salt and sugar are needed by your body in moderation.

For the last one as someone on a lot of mental medicines stop. If they were depressed they would know it. and I really doubt that is a cause of of Their tinnitus. and if it was depression can be handled like it should be.
    This too, stop spreading bullshit.

There is no cure for tinnitus. Which is unfortunate because I would pay a fortune for it.