Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    why are there never blue tweets about shaman issues? it's like we don't exist...

Honest to God, GC is going to need therapy after leaving this job. It must be like teaching special ed whenever he logs into twitter.

10+ Year Old Account
    $230 for a headset ..for playing video games? You know what they say, "there's a sucker born every minute," and it sure looks like this Astro company is banking on it.
    My gaming headphones:
    DT 880

Want to call me a sucker too?
    Some people just happen to enjoy quality equipment and good sound, be it in games or music.
    (Not judging if the Astros are worth it or not, didn't read any reviews)

Quote Originally Posted by deathonabun View Post
    $230 for a headset ..for playing video games? You know what they say, "there's a sucker born every minute," and it sure looks like this Astro company is banking on it.
    Nah. I don't know anything about them, but if they are good quality that is really not that bad. My dad is a huge audiophile and has paid way more than $230 for a set of headphones. As long as you do some research, you aren't going to get gypped. If I still gamed as much as I used to, I could see myself paying good money for a quality headset. Different people have different hobbies and junk they spend their money on.

10+ Year Old Account
    My dad is a huge audiophile and has paid way more than $230 for a set of headphones.
    Yep.. once you had really good cans on your head, it's very hard to enjoy music with cheap gear. I always cringe when my dad listens to music via his laptop speakers >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    My gaming headphones:
    DT 880

Some people just happen to enjoy quality equipment and good sound, be it in games or music.
    Yeah, no. I personally don't believe that's a reasonable amount to spend on headphones. From a cost-to-benefit perspective, I just can't see it. Nor can I see it from a tech-cost perspective. Why's it cost so much? Does it contain exotic materials? Is it like CPUs where they mass produce speakers in batches and then test them, so the ones with the best dynamic range or whatever go into these high-end headsets?

I find it far more likely that it's more about status than anything else. "I have Astro a40s so clearly I am serious about my gaming." It's even hard to trust reviews when either the reviewer is a shill for the company or it's some poor bastard who's already bought them and will say anything to convince himself that he didn't just waste a couple hundred bucks.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's your money so buy whatever makes you happy.

My gaming headphones:
    DT 880

Don't go comparing Bayerdynamic to this plastic fantastic crap on top, please be so good. It's like going ten levels higher and comparing BOSE speakers to Avantgarde speakers, one is utter overpriced crap, whilst the other is expensive yet offers unbelievable audio quality unmatched by many if at all - same with your headphones.

The guy is right in his first post (ignore his post above mine, he never experienced quality sound on headphones most likely), $200 for the headphones when you can get SONY, Bayerdynamic, Sennheisser and similar headphones for the same price (which perform a lot better sans the microphone) is wasted money. And let's be serious here, for gaming all you need is a 2.- EUR microphone and it will sound great.

You wouldn't like a Yugo to cost the same as a BMW 7 series either would you?

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 02:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by deathonabun View Post
    Yeah, no. I personally don't believe that's a reasonable amount to spend on headphones. From a cost-to-benefit perspective, I just can't see it. Nor can I see it from a tech-cost perspective. Why's it cost so much? Does it contain exotic materials? Is it like CPUs where they mass produce speakers in batches and then test them, so the ones with the best dynamic range or whatever go into these high-end headsets?

I find it far more likely that it's more about status than anything else. "I have Astro a40s so clearly I am serious about my gaming." It's even hard to trust reviews when either the reviewer is a shill for the company or it's some poor bastard who's already bought them and will say anything to convince himself that he didn't just waste a couple hundred bucks.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions. It's your money so buy whatever makes you happy.
    You are entitled to your opinion of course, however if we buy expensive quality headphones (not the ones in a giveaway) doesn't mean we only use them on the PC. I can't blare music through the speakers of my system every day or at any given point in time of the day, since I'm not alone in my house and sometimes people like it quiet or watch TV without music blaring through the speakers and well that's when quality headphones come into play.

For PC usage I used all kinds of 15EUR - 50EUR headphones long time, until i realized, I got those pro headphones hooked to my system in the living room, might as well use them on the PC, since the cheap headphones fell apart about one year of usage. So from that point on, I use the same headphones on for everything.

Tho I will admit, prices in the audio department tend to rise quite high for good stuff. Not for everyone, but I will tell you, you notice the difference a lot - it's also not that quality stuff breaks every two years. I'm with my headphones now for the 5th year and they're still as new.
    Last edited by F-Minus; 2013-02-04 at 01:54 AM.

all of you complain about some high pricy cans... i just wonder who is that "she" that ra-den speaks about in his defeat soundfiles

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't go comparing Bayerdynamic to this plastic fantastic crap on top, please be so good.
    I didn't. I explicitly stated that I don't know whether the Astros are worth the price or not. (They look like cheap bling to me though)

Yeah, no. I personally don't believe that's a reasonable amount to spend on headphones. From a cost-to-benefit perspective, I just can't see it. Nor can I see it from a tech-cost perspective. Why's it cost so much? Does it contain exotic materials?
    High end audio gear contains exotic materials, use VERY durable casings. These cans I linked? Some people used the previous model for 20years+ and only changed the paddings once or twice (20$).
    Also there are incredibly high R&D costs involved. Coupled with the fact that Beyerdynamic produces these cans using manual labor in Germany and not in China etc.

As for the sound quality: You can argue all you want, it won't help you much. You need to have babies like these on your head and listen to your favorite music to get what the audiophile fuss is all about.

For PC usage I used all kinds of 15EUR - 50EUR headphones long time, until i realized, I got those pro headphones hooked to my system in the living room, might as well use them on the PC, since the cheap headphones fell apart about one year of usage.
    Agreed. If you get a decent Soundcard, you even get very nice sound on your PC. No need for a big stereo.

Tho I will admit, prices in the audio department tend to rise quite high for good stuff.
    I'd love to try out Beyers T1. But I have to be honest though: as an untrained listener, I doubt I'd would be able to appreciate cans of that magnitude. Besides.. can't plug in 600Ω into a soundcard anymore. (running 250Ω now) :/

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Honest to God, GC is going to need therapy after leaving this job. It must be like teaching special ed whenever he logs into twitter.
    Well he made the twitter himself and he knew it would be like this, but yeah so many stupid questions he gets all the time.

Deleted
    I always wonder about these PC builds..

Why does unicorn not have 2x120gb SSD in RAID 0

Why completely cheese on the sound? Onboard sound and Z523 for a great gaming rig? Should be at least a good soundcard and Z623 or the surround ones for unicorn and Z623 for narwhal. Just doesn´t make sense to buy a sweet new computer and then have 80´s ghetto blaster sound. Z623 with a THX certified sound card and you have amazing sound for films as well.

Also only 8GB ram in Unicorn?

Some of the choices baffle me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bantokar, I believe they either get paid for suggesting these components, or the people that put them together have no clue what the purpose of the machine is supposed to be and just slap in some generic components that look expensive.

I'd suggest to refer to TechReports upgrade/build advisors instead of trusting some random gaming site.

Why completely cheese on the sound?
    Most people still have it stuck in their head that computer sound is always bad and just can't realize that these times are long gone. Ofc if you slap on El-cheapo Logitech speakers onan onboard... you bring these times right back into your living room.

PS: 8GB is more than enough for gaming. You only need more when you run multiple VMs.

Deleted
    Bantokar, I believe they either get paid for suggesting these components, or the people that put them together have no clue what the purpose of the machine is supposed to be and just slap in some generic components that look expensive.
    But even Logitech has speakers that are much better than the suggested ones. I think the last part is more correct. Just look at Unicorn. No raid 0, way to expensive mainboard, onboard sound, Overkill CPU, crappy speakers, only 8gb ram (yes more is actually nice)

PS: 8GB is more than enough for gaming. You only need more when you run multiple VMs.
    Not entirely correct

10+ Year Old Account
    Not entirely correct
    Already games out there that gobble up more than 8Gigs? o_O
    Please call out that bad boys name, I need to take a look at that.

@Overkill CPU:
    Lets be fair: He at least informs people about that stuff.
    Unless you are doing a lot of video rendering or something that is similarly multithreaded, you do not need the 3770K and should spend that money elsewhere.

The more memory the better. I got 32GB and I have a 16GB "fancycache" buffer for my SSD. It's not a ramdisk but it'll make everything faster. Cheap as chips, now is alwasy the time to buy!

After so much loading WoW (or whatever) off the drive after a few minutes it won't have to read anything off the disk until you shut down the computer, even if starting WoW (or basically anything) again.

Deleted
    ra-den's room is under the one of the saurok boss ( this room you walked through to the way to dark animus ).. during the dark animus ptr test mages could use blink there and get down to this room -.^

Deleted
    Hunter (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
    there aren't many changes to hunters in the 5.2 patch notes so far, would I be wrong to assume MM won't get the buff it needs?
    The change buffed MM's damage. Can you explain how far you think they are behind with the change? (Raidbots can't answer this.) (Source)

I lol'd

Deleted
    Ra'dens speech refering to something evil beneath the earth -> Old God of pandaria corrupting Garrosh and being Endboss of the Expansion.

I'm glad I saved all my Zandalar Augur set. Surely he'll remember me and treat me as a friend, right?

Awesome headphones but a lot exp for me.