advice on new build?

I should be getting my tax return back soon, I'm looking to upgrade. This is what I have picked out, except I picked it all out on Newegg, I just use partpicker since that's easier to show you guys what I chose than trying to figure out neweggs public lists.

pcpartpicker[dot]com/p/BgN9

I'm wondering a couple things, mostly whether professional Win7 is worth it (xp emulation?!) and whether I need a cpu cooler that good, or if I would be ok with saving ~20 bucks and getting a hyper 212 evo.

My budget is roughly what the price came out to on partpicker, that is 1300ish. I can go a little above or obviously below, but I can't go up to like 1600 or anything. I'd say 1450 is probably the upper limit. I currently only play WoW and Skyrim really as far as intensive games, but I also want to get into streaming, and I record Let's Plays and such of games, and I'd like to be able to record commentary while I play for newer games and not experience lag. Lately I've had to stick to good ol' ZSNES

edit: forgot to mention that I have a monitor/keyboard/mouse that are < 1 year old.
    Last edited by ukdudeinuk; 2013-02-03 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go with a cheaper power supply (Like the Antec Neo Eco 620) and theoretically you could get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and save a few bucks. I'd recommend a samsung SSD though, Kingstons dont perform quite as well for the same price.

I -personally- feel that the 670 is overkill, and you could do with a 7870 XT for a hundred bucks less, however thats my opinion, and I'm under the impression that I have lower gaming standards than other people.

I'm ok with a little bit of overkill-look at it as future proofing! I want to OC some, but not ridiculously so. Is this cooler enough(any?) better than the hyper 212 evo to be worth paying more?

That's good to know re: Samsung SSDs.

Deleted
    Modified build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($43.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.60 @ Mac Connection)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.62 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1190.07
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 15:02 EST-0500)

Don't forget a storage drive, if you need one? (Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB is good and around $70) If not maybe consider a 256GB SSD instead. Look for Crucial M4, Samsung 830 or 840Pro.

Low Profile RAM to fit with the CPU heatsink.

The Xigmatek GAIA heatsink is around same level as the Hyper 212, it's cheap and fine for a light/moderate overclock.

You really don't need a full tower case but your choice of course. I recommend the 500R (see my signature), Fractal Design R4 or midi.

The PSU from Seasonic is excellent and also modular, enough power still if you ever decide on SLI.

I also forgot to mention I have ~1.25TB of HDDs I can salvage from older computers. Before seeing Notarget's post, I made these changes:

pcpartpicker[dot]com/p/BhH8

The PSU being modular, am I assuming correctly that you only plug in strings of cables that you actually need? The case...I liked building my wife's computer in a HAF case, although hers is a 912. This one just looks cool to me, and functionally seems to have most of the things that I liked about my wife's.

Deleted
    You're still picking high profile RAM, not great with a larger heatsink, might have fitting issues.

The SSD's I mentioned will be better and more durable than the 840 but yes the 840 will still work fine.

Your choice on the case, just offering advice/recommendations.

Yes modular PSU you pick which cables you want in, making cable management a little easier and cleaner.

10+ Year Old Account
    This build is the same as you linked before just with the ram I would recommend, Samsung 1600MHz ram (8gb), its known to overclock to 2800MHz @ sub 1.6v and it has the lowest ram profile i've seen yet (about half the height of "low profile" ram). $50 for 8gb is also pretty bloody good to boot.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.96 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.66 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($25.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($135.62 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1211.15
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-03 16:21 EST-0500)

Deleted
    Out of stock RAM, overclocking the RAM with the CPU means very little, same comments about the SSD as before. Build offers nothing different/special.

pcpartpicker[dot]com/p/Bj7n

Switched to the modular PSU, low-pro ram, and the Crucial SSD you mentioned. I managed to read over that the first time somehow. Attention to detail is something i lack apparently!

Good call on the out of stock ram he posted, where yours said G Skill originally I didn't even catch that you had changed it, have the Sniper ram in there now.
    Last edited by ukdudeinuk; 2013-02-03 at 10:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Notarget the ram was merely a suggestion as its the lowest profile ram i've seen and the reason I mentioned it can overclock that far wasn't because I thought he would it was more a point that it isn't cheap and nasty. Still half asleep though so did miss that it was out of stock seeing I posted that about 20mins after getting home from night shift.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    Notarget the ram was merely a suggestion as its the lowest profile ram i've seen and the reason I mentioned it can overclock that far wasn't because I thought he would it was more a point that it isn't cheap and nasty. Still half asleep though so did miss that it was out of stock seeing I posted that about 20mins after getting home from night shift.
    Don't worry about it, it's not my money. Just trying to get the best advice passed on, whether it's from me or someone else I couldn't care less.

@ukdudeinuk

Looking good, good luck putting it all together