Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Yes i would miss it, it allows me to tailor my gear more towards what stats i need to optimize my performance, different classes needs different stats even if they use the same resources.
    but is it really a choice of yours?Every class and spec have the best gems/enchants that everyone puts...I don't think is about gear customization but just stacking more of the best stat...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Yes I would, because I really don't want to relevel another profession.
    Why would anyone be forced to relevel another profession? If enchanting were removed from items the profession would more than likely be reworked and it's not as though other professions would keep there ability to enchant gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    There's Leatherworking, a profession that creates items for 4 classes. And JC would create items for ALL classes. How is that worthless?

And what sense does that make to have gems anyway, if it doesn't involve any fun, creativity or customisation? The WoW is evolving, gems always have to.

Consider hunters gloves. They have a blue socket, with 60 crit socket bonus. Every hunter will place a pure agility gem there, without exception. Why put anything else in the slot? This is just mundane busyjob everybody HAS to do, to get additional 160 agility. "Hey pal, wanna have full potential in those gloves? Pay us then, 150 gold for a gem". How is that remotely fun? You got your item <WEEEEE> but you have to gem it now <AWWWW>.

Elements like that should be removed. Same with hit/exp haste and no-brainer enchants. They just don't make you have any more fun, just make you do another mundane, boring thing every time you do something awesome - get an item.
    Very much so. Enchantments really should be like the talents and glyphs are slated to be - offering a variety of choices with minimal difference in gain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    He's a fine designer and developer who has helped make the game evolve for the market and thus save Blizzard from having subscribers go from 12 million to 0.

He'll be staying around for a while.
    I know he will be, but it's sad he's being rewarded for taking the easy way out. Instead of trying to create more gamers, he's just pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Gemming - not so much. It's always a pain to buy a nice piece of gear, gem and enchant, and then get an upgrade next week.

Enchanting... adds additional effects besides damage increases. Some of the weapon enchants have cool procs, movement speed and disarm reduction are also interesting mechanics.

If they changed gems to something like this, I'd be okay with it:

Meta Gem - gives a random, proc based bonus similar to tier bonus. In order to activate it you need to have a certain gem combination. Gems provide no bonus beyond activating the meta Gem.

Since they took out Arcanum's, the new meta gem concept could fit the place of a helm enchant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    I know he will be, but it's sad he's being rewarded for taking the easy way out. Instead of trying to create more gamers, he's just pandering to the lowest common denominator.
    The No True Scotsman thing is really unbecoming. If it were not for the 'non-gamers' paying their subscription fees, a lot of the content you enjoy may never have come into being.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'd welcome the removal of gemming and enchanting, even though I'm an enchanter myself. just trade all those "enchant this" and "enchant that" for crafting wands, staves, off-hands, spell shields, gear, mounts and more pets.

it's not like there's anything interesting to do with them. there's always that one group of optimal gems and enchants you'll be using from the expansion's release to it's final breath. at least reforging is dynamic (but I hate it too, anyway).
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    You people are reading too much into it. Look at the first part. "Ignoring the damage it would do to professions". If they did get rid of Enchanting and JC, it would mean they were getting rid of them all.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

It's little things like farming for mats that, while tedious, get people a lot more involved in their characters and the world. They've been moving away from it majorly which is why there seems to be so much more focus on optimizing at times at the expense of "fun".
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

My main is a jewelcrafter and enchanter himself, so I never had any problems gemming and enchanting my stuff. Hopefully they won't remove it

Deleted
    Hmm, I don't know. I loved gemming and enchanting a full set of gear, puzzling what I should reforge, gem and enchant to get the perfect combo. On the other hand, I hated it when everything was perfect and I won one piece of loot that screwed it all up so I needed to reforge and gem the whole set again.

I don't care about loot these days though, so I won't miss gemming nor enchanting (except as a source of easy gold, of course).

I wouldn't miss it. On average, when you get an upgrade...you can't even use it til you gem/enchant and reforge it ie after the raid. It's pointlessly time consuming

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Very much so. Enchantments really should be like the talents and glyphs are slated to be - offering a variety of choices with minimal difference in gain.
    Variety in things that optimize your character is nigh on impossible. The talents flat out failed at this. Glyphs practically did too. There is always an optimal build for any given situation. People need to stop ragging on Blizzard for the impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

I'd miss them. I like customizing stats to what I think is best for me.

I disagree with those saying you have to "do it right or you are stupid, so there isn't much choice", because what's best isn't set in stone. In real situations you'll have a hard time keeping up an optimal usage of skills. What benefits a 100% perfect "rotation" isn't always what also benefits you when you can only keep up 80% of said rotation, due to random events, which often happen.

I also agree with "my doing 300dps less shouldn't be major issue resulting in 0,1% wipes". If you get distracted and stop casting for a few seconds now and then it probably has more impact than a "less than optimal" gem choice.

A nice thing for me about gems and enchants is that I can use a high level dps gear piece for tanking, when I am unlucky with the drops and still get a fair upgrade. For example I use the 496 DPS pants for tanking, since Sha of Anger dropped two for me, but never the tank ones. Since the stats, after gemming and reforging and enchanting beat my 476 crafted pants, I can use the DPS ones as an upgrade, even if less optimal for it's level.

Not to mention how fun it was to watch that Shadow Priest with full dodge gems back in TBC tanking a bunch of dungeons =) Sometimes you make your own hardmodes in this game, and keep yourself from being bored.
    Last edited by blackeagle; 2013-02-03 at 09:19 PM.
    In the darkness all cats are gray...
    www.onyxsoft.se - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    If by customization you mean, doing what is optimal otherwise you're doing it wrong, then yeah I agree they do offer quite a bit of customization.
    customizing present participle of cus·tom·ize
    Verb

Modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task.

You're modifying your gear to accomplish a task. Customizing doesn't mean making you different from everyone else.

And while we're at it, yes it allows for "Customization". Not everyone has the same gear. You can gem for something like int and haste to hit a threshold, or expertise even which others may not do. You can fine tune your stats to do what you want.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

I would miss them IF they started providing more non-concrete bonuses like movement speed, rather than straight stats. The only case from a caster dps point of view, where there's more than one option for enchanting is gloves with expertise vs haste. But in every other slot it's just one more thing that I have to do before I can actually use the item.

If there was an actual choice involved in enchanting then I would miss it, but as it is I wouldn't.

Gemming is a different matter altogether. Gems now provide interesting choices, such as 160 int vs 80int+160Mastery for example. I would for sure miss gemming and reforging.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    but is it really a choice of yours?Every class and spec have the best gems/enchants that everyone puts...I don't think is about gear customization but just stacking more of the best stat...
    Yes that is a choice, playing a healer there is more then 1 right choice to what gems you use depending on what you need and what kind of role you want to fulfill as a healer, also need to balance mana regen and throughput with it, the days of stacking intellect as a thumb rule is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    What the hell is the "easy way out"?

Create more gamers?

Wah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    You people are reading too much into it. Look at the first part. "Ignoring the damage it would do to professions". If they did get rid of Enchanting and JC, it would mean they were getting rid of them all.
    no, they'd just have to fill in the blanks.

jewelcrafting can use gems to make shiny gear made of jewels. paladins love that sort of shit. especially draenei paladins, those like to dress up in crystals. http://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screen...mal/345326.jpg

enchanting could make enchanted gear made of... magic.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You could still craft jewelry, you know what your profession is named after. Enchanting could just be changed to make wands, offhands, and int based one-handed weapons.
    Every piece of jewelry needs gems. Most 1hand int weapons are now inscribes. Wands require enchanting mats. A plain stick isn't going to gain magical powers by itself you know. They would have to do a Massive overhaul if they wanted to keep Enchanting and Jewel Crafting while getting rid of their primary resource.