Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wouldn't miss it at all

on a sidenote, I took the last post on the last 2 pages. I'm that awesome

but really, blizz put far too much stuff on the gearing up process. it went from a fun moment of grabbing an upgrade to the horrible chore of gemming/enchanting/reforging/upgrading/licking/dancing on top of it. it'd be nice if they would clean up the process a bit.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

There is actually things to take into consideration when gemming (not so much when enchanting), both in PvP and PvE. In PvP it allows you the choice between gearing defensively, offensively, for higher crits or faster speed. In PvE it's not so much about choices, but one of the few forms of theorycrafting left in the game. Your gems are going to change as your gear improves. You have thresholds to meet for various stats and at some point your secondary stats might overtake your primary for gems as well, which can change the whole picture. And why do people act like gold sinks are a bad thing? What else are you going to do with your gold?

Deleted
    Not at all.

I dont mind gemming.
    I dont mind enchanting
    I dont mind reforging.

I mind gemming + enchanting + reforging. And having to spend ages on a spreadsheet to work out if a drop is worth it, and then alter all my other pieces to accommodate it. I'd usually rather just say sod it, its too much hassle to get gear.
    Its all got a bit much.

Gemming is useless, you may as well just add the stats to the piece, people just auto gem anyway. And enchanting is limited to "cheap" or "expensive" options it adds nothing. Reforging at least adds real flexibility, however it does mean reforging an entire gear set when you get just 1 drop usually, so its more hassle than its worth.

Whole item upgrade system needs a massive overhaul in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I dunno I wouldn't really miss gems as they are just standardized stat bonuses.
    Enchanting on the otherhand offers some fun random procs but i wouldn't mind the removal of all the standard +stat enchants

In the end they could merge whatever is left between the 2 tradeskills into inscription.
    So then what about inscription? Should they get rid of that too? You could just buy glyphs from vendors like on beta. And let's not get started on darkmoon cards.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

Quote Originally Posted by Shagina View Post
    What else are you going to do with your gold?
    I'm still trying to get that 100k yak, but the BMAH keeps draining all my money by posting cryptstalker t3! it's not my fault if my hunter alt looks so cute dressed up as spider-girl!
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    personally, I like mastery. id does one different thing depending on what your class and spec is, so it contributes to spec differentiation.

in an utopic reality, blizz will balance the contribution of all stats, so they'll all give you exactly the same amount of dps, which means you just grab your favorite one. if you like attacking more, take haste. if you like bigger numbers, take crit. if you like to be "classy", take mastery.

they had kind of hit that sweet spot in demonology earlier on the expansion, but I'm not sure if it's still like that (it's been ages since I last took a look on theorycrafting results).
    Mastery is just a straight up damage/healing/survivability boost for most of the specs that offers nothing different from the basic stats like Strength and Intellect. The ones that actually do have mechanical impacts , like Mana Adept for Arcane and Harmony for Restoration, are the exception. Either Mastery needs to be gotten rid of and the few spec-specific bonuses given rolled into the specs themselves, or Mastery needs to be looked at again.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    So then what about inscription? Should they get rid of that too? You could just buy glyphs from vendors like on beta. And let's not get started on darkmoon cards.
    Quite frankly they should, at this juncture. Glyphs are in an awful state for most classes (i.e. the trick is picking the least terrible out of a number of horrible options).
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Gemming in MoP has been really good, with the doubling of secondary stats. There's actual choice there now, it's interesting. Prior to MoP it was dull, but it got fixed so s'all good.

Enchanting? Beyond weapon enchants, it's dull. In most cases there's only 1 choice for every slot, or rather 1 optimal choice and a couple of crap ones. Weapon enchants get interesting though, with the procs.

I do think that gemming and enchanting are mostly serving the same purpose at this point, with gems being the more flexible and downright better option, and enchanting being really boring. That said, the whole 'disenchanting' thing is cool, but hm...

Overhaul enchanting I'd say. Keep Jewelcrafting as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Removing it sure would piss people with professions off.

Ain't gonna happen.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would miss it like I miss the third weapon spot, I dont really miss it. I usually only spend enough time online to get geared, rarely do I have enough time to get gems or enchants to, before the end of the season.

10+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing is, they overhauled Glyphs precisely because they had the problem that Enchanting and to a lesser extent Gems do; they were cookie-cutter throughput buffs that offered no real choice.

But, as I said in my last post, they failed pretty badly with a lot of the glyphs in that they offer the least bad out of a number of terrible choices.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

not really, i mean sure extra stats are nice but in the end it just means i have to shell out gold every time i get a new upgrade. If nothing else i would get rich instead of just scraping by ( okay its just because i am a lazy motherfucker but still )

As a matter of fact, I would miss gemming and enchanting.

Though it is a chore having to enchant/gem every new piece of gear, it is actually exciting re-siming you char to see what is the best new option. There is a bit of room for customization, even though tiny.

It is also important in a psychological way, as a complement to equiping the new piece of gear, where you feel you are working to improve your char.

I'm and enchanter and JC'er on my main, and I like the idea of removing them as *must haves* and making them mroe fun, JC'ing focusing on vanity items, aswell as enchants that could be turned into vanity purposes too

enchant your armour to have green fire instead of the orange fire, or purple fire - not just fire but any visual mist/smoke/effect-

enchant your weapons not for stats, but for colour/effect of the particular enchant,

enchant fun items with long cooldowns to reduce their cooldown,

enchant your helms so that say females hair (if its long) will show as long under the helm instead of being -removed- and pretty much making your toon bald as it works now. (though this may be quite a feat technically)

enchants that give your whole body a glow/effect (similar to shadow priests shadowform or Moonkins astral form but with much mroe variety)

Honestly I would just love professions to be more fun than -must have- which means less flaffing with your gear overall.
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2013-02-03 at 09:43 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    what is different now?right you don't stack intellect anymore, but you still stack something else. You go to haste cap, and then there is a best gem you have to use, name it intellect, or spirit. I don't really think there is a choice, especially for enchanting...
    Thing is i'm not stacking either intellect, spirit, crit, haste or mastery in a braindead fashion, i do not go for excessive amounts of spirit so that i end a boss at 60% mana, neither do i ignore it completely in favor of throughput stats, balancing and pure stacking of 1 single stat through gems is not the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    As a matter of fact, I would miss gemming and enchanting.

Though it is a chore having to enchant/gem every new piece of gear, it is actually exciting re-siming you char to see what is the best new option. There is a bit of room for customization, even though tiny.

It is also important in a psychological way, as a complement to equiping the new piece of gear, where you feel you are working to improve your char.
    Given how few choices there are per-slot on a given class, the 'new best option' occurs rarely and is more often than not related to Hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I very much like the concept of enchanting and it would feel weird for it to be gone. I would probably miss it.

Gemming I'm more indifferent to. It's nice to be able to tweak stats a bit to more perfectly get to caps and things like that but nowadays we can do that with reforging.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

In their current state? Would miss gemming, wouldn't miss enchanting.

Gemming at least has some decision involved on occasion; enchanting is just a mandatory raid upkeep expense where you take the good option for your slot and move on.

I would miss all three: Gemming, enchanting, and reforging.

What I wouldn't miss is having to hit caps - hit, exp. Haste breakpoints are also annoying, but as softcaps and not hardcaps they are less aggravating - i.e., going about your haste breakpoint isn't a complete waste, so you're not as "obligated" to hit the exact number.

Those are what really put the PITA in reforging. Reforging and gemming (and enchanting) as a healer is pretty awesome.

that hotfix was my bad Somarlane's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would miss both the professions, though they aren't what they used to be. There have always been those designs and formulas that made me go "huh?", but there were plenty of others that offered a semi-realistic benefit at the very least. I used to see demand on my server for all sorts of cuts and enchants. Now stats have been removed or homogenized; I think that the latter is the major contribution to the de facto "optimal" choice for PvE.

I personally would like for item level upgrade feature to go away forever. If I have to go outside of the game to look up what the final version (last item level upgrade, i.e.: 2/2) of a piece of gear will be in order to make comparisons, then I think there is something wrong. This is not to say that I ought to be able to look at gear for my spec and say upgrade/downgrade in under a second, but that I do not want to agonize over item-level upgrade vs other gear piece (from somewhere) vs vendor gear piece plus reforging on top of everything. It's too much for me. Maybe if I didn't have a low ceiling and/or cap on JP and VP, I would not be so concerned about risking what I've managed to accumulate.

As a side-note: Stay away from my racials.
    2021-09-21
    23:02 chelly: bobs and virginia