Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scamander View Post
    I know it is a hassle, and I know that the is little / no customization when it comes to gems / enchants but.. if we remove everything that is 'inconvenient' what will we be left with really?
    I had planned on a sarcastic response like "A more fun game?"

But then I realized it would make me bit of a hypocrite, since I want flying mounts gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There is about as much 'customization' with enchantments as there was with the old talent trees. You either take the correct enchantments or are immediately identified as mentally deficient.
    Well, as a tank, I find that enchanting/regemming and reforging my stats for every boss (mostly for HC progression) to be incredibly efficient, there is not a single best way to gem or enchant your character for every single encounter in the game; there might be for some classe or spec, but making that statement an absolute is just being narrow minded.

I think gems and enchants should have ´2 uses´ or something like that. While leveling, and even early in a new tier it just is annoying to gem or enchant something you know you aren´t going to have very long, and furthermore, it kinda prevents you from using that item right away if it is only a slight upgrade. Do I finish the raid with my old armor with an enchant and gem, or do I use the new item that is 13 ilvls higher.

We should be able to remove gems and enchants one time and reuse them on the upgrade.

I don't think removing gems/enchants would do anything of value - it would just make it harder to find the slackers who don't bother to enchant/gem their gear. If something must be changed, I would love it if I didn't have to spend 150+gold reforging everything every time I get a new item due to hit/exp caps.

Gemming/chanting the new item is np for me; reforging all of my of gear to get back on hit/exp cap is just irritating.

I guess that is more an issue with hit/exp stats, rather than reforging.

I still kinda miss the helm enchants, purely because they added another way to check if someone had bothered to put any effort into their character; once they were made BoA so you didn't have to get the rep on alts I saw no issue with them.

Plus as a JC/Ench I'm slightly biased towards the 'Ignoring the damage it might do to professions' part...
    Last edited by Kaiarra; 2013-02-04 at 04:32 AM.

i gem to fill in my missing stats and alternate it to my tastes. theres no "one fit" for it except when you're hitting BiS. where is where everything flatens out anyway.

so yes, not being able to rebalance my stats with gems as well as reforging? i would miss it.

Gemming....ehh i'd prob miss it a bit, but it wouldn't be a particulary negative feeling. Enchanting i'd love to go, or for enchanting to change to make cosmetic diferences or something like that. Even now, as a veteran of wow, enchanting is the one thing i always forget to do. I gem, reforge, transmog if needed. But it is usually an hour or so later that i look at my gear and notice something is missing =/.

Honestly I don't mind the idea but I don't really care if it stays or leaves.

I question whether professions add anything useful or fun to the game at all in their current form. I think it's possible to make them both fun and useful, but they wouldn't be anything like the current dull laundry list of patterns we have today.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    I question whether professions add anything useful or fun to the game at all in their current form. I think it's possible to make them both fun and useful, but they wouldn't be anything like the current dull laundry list of patterns we have today.
    While fun is a subjective I agree that most professions are rather boring, other then engineering. I think that engineering right now has a good balance of both fun and usefulness.

As for myself I think the way gems/enchants are now they aren't very interesting and a more of a put in and forget then something actually meaningful. With that said I wouldn't miss them, nor do I really want them gone.

I wouldn't like it if they got rid of gem's and enchants.
    Getting my gear all decked out, is what I love about gearing up.
    Instead of getting rid of gems and enchants "because it's too overwhelming" why don't they just simplify it.
    Make it more straight forward.

Professions create an alternative to leveling, raiding, and pvp.
    Professions help the game economics.

Racials on the other hand, shouldn't be removed, but changed.
    Just no damage, or stat bonuses, just stuff that involves professions, vanity, etc.

Get rid of hit and expertise.
    Bake crit, haste etc into other main stats.
    The game should be made were reforging isn't necessary.
    Last edited by iadamson; 2013-02-04 at 05:07 AM.

I love being an enchanter, it is my favorite profession.

I however dont like having to enchant gear.

Sounds odd but it makes sense.

1. I feel that Blizzard's current target demographic doesn't understand primary / secondary stats and how they affect gameplay. This is evidenced by several instances of gutting or revamping game mechanics where understanding how the mechanic worked could be used to gain a performance advantage over someone who didn't have that knowledge. Removing gems and enchants would be yet another small step towards minimizing the gap between skilled and unskilled players, and I would certainly not be surprised if it happens.

2. How much streamlining can a game withstand before it ceases to be a game? Is chess still a game if I remove the board and the pieces, and then tell you to just flip a coin to determine the winner? Some streamlining can be a good thing, IF the game is not reliant on depth to keep people interested.

I would miss it sort of, but I think it has hardly been interesting for quite a while. Since it was introduced in TBC there has more or less been a gem you stack for every spec, it is not that thrilling when you pick up a new piece of gear and see that it has gem slots, so basically you have to wait until after the raid for it to be useful but you know exactly what you are going to do with it.

There is also basically one enchant every spec gets. If you cut down to the wire I see very little reason as to why either has an interesting place in this game truth be told. I would rather see them make it interesting than just cutting it though.

Quote Originally Posted by mosely View Post
    2. How much streamlining can a game withstand before it ceases to be a game? Is chess still a game if I remove the board and the pieces, and then tell you to just flip a coin to determine the winner? Some streamlining can be a good thing, IF the game is not reliant on depth to keep people interested.
    Streamlining =/= simplification.
    Telling chess players to flip a coin to determine the winner is simplification.
    Removing an excessively strict dress code and pre-game ritual that adds nothing to the game itself before the match is streamlining.

I tend to view gemming and enchant as unnecessary. You do it once, and then forget about it. If you think ahead, you already have those gems and enchants waiting for the next piece of gear. Call your Argent Gruntling, pull out your gems and enchants, reforge on your yak, and equip your gear. Forget about gems and enchants until the next piece of gear drops. It's already been number crunched for you, less interactive than fishing.

I dont know, with makin the game more and more simple every patch, why not get rid of this.
    I dont think i would like it, its good to put some effort to actually prepare your new gear for raids.
    I would even like to see upgrading system like in other MMOs. Item +1, +2, +3 etc.

Honestly, if it's the way it is right now...not really. It's not like there are any choices, save for a few scenarios which are few and far between. There is a very definitive way to gem and chant BiS so it's really all a gold sink, reforging is far more intricate and by far the best formula for enhancing your character. That being said, it's not really a big deal to me personally, as I have chanters and JCs, and I'd rather see them expand/improve upon them rather than remove them...which of course they kinda can't at this point in the game.

The way it is now, dropping JC, Ench and reforging from the game would make for better gaming experience, IMO
    as others have said, It's not like there's any choice in the matter.

Would love it if they brought back some customization to the game.. Hybrid specs, all the stats they've taken out (def rating/armpen)
    Being able to spec a Fury/prot hybrid on my warrior was really fun, same as using a spell power weapon on my enhance shammy.
    I've no idea what to write here.

Gems/enchants are very exciting(new gear! yay)

and they do allow customization. Maybe not for DPS chars but for tanks/healers/pvpers it is

They are already removing diversity too much. Everything flat homogenizing. Don't do it more

Unless you could completely scale the reforge stats and reforge primary stats, yes, I'd miss it a lot. Even with the ability to reforge freely, there are still things enchants offer than just can't be made up for.

I wouldn't miss it, but I don't think they should remove it either.