Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

New desktop needed!

My laptop died on me yesterday and now I'm in need of a new computer, a desktop.

Upgrade or New Computer:
    A new computer.

Willing to Self Build or a Pre-Built:
    Self build, even though I don't know anything about how-to-build a computer, a lot of my friends do who are willing to help me out.

How much you want to spend:
    600-800 euros.

How much you can spend:
    1000 euros, though this would be including a monitor.

What all you plan to use it for:
    Being able to run World of Warcraft with all settings on maximum is something I've wanted for a long time now. I've been playing WoW for a while now but a bad computer made it unable for me to raid 25-mans, etc. I could only do 10-mans with everything on it's lowest settings. Besides that, I want to be able to stream on a quality as high as possible. I'm not sure if I'm being realistic here, because I simply do not have the knowledge about what kind of computer you need for this.

What Operating system you want to use & Bit:
    Windows, seven or eight I think?

What Resolution you hope to be in:
    Not sure what this means?

What Settings do you Want & how much FPS:
    I want to run World of Warcraft with all settings on max, and be able to stream it. Not sure how much FPS this would be since I've always been playing with around 20 FPS. I don't care about the newest 3D-games and whatnot.

What Country are you from:
    I'm from the Netherlands, hence the amounts of money are named in euros.

What can you re-use:
    Nothing.

Network will be wired or wireless:
    I can use both, I've got wireless and some kind of cases that use the electricity for network.

Any Additional Info Here:
    As I said, I don't know anything about what 1GB RAM does, how much gig a videocard needs, etc. I've got friends who are able to build it for me, so that why I want it ''self-build''. My budget for a desktop (excluding monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc.) is 600-800 euros, I'm not sure if this is realistic regarding what I want to use it for, I hope so. Thanks for your help in advance!

CPU: 3570k 200eur
    RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9W 8GB 50eur
    Mobo: MSI z77a-g43 85eur
    GPU: ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2 200eur or ASUS GTX660-DC2T-2GD5
    PSU: Seasonic M12II Bronze 520W 65eur
    SSD: Crucial M4 128GB 100eur
    HDD: Western Digital WD10EZRX Green 70eur

Total: 770

Just use the price comparison @ hardware.info or tweakers.net

Deleted
    Thanks for the response!
    Will I be able to do with this setup what I want?
    So can I play WoW with everything on max, even in 25 man raids and stream with good quality?

10+ Year Old Account
    For quality streaming you will want to invest in a capture card (This build could fraps and upload the footage later just fine though, live streaming without a capture card means your cpu has to do the encoding while still running the game which means performance decrease).
    It should max everything on wow at a respectable frame rate with the exception of shadow effects (might need to sit that on high, its a complete resource hog for the visual improvement), I would also recommend throwing an after market cooler the i5-3570k and overclocking it (otherwise there is no point in having a k processor or a z77 chipset).
    That build is also lacking an OS, OEM version is recommended as they are a fair hit cheaper.

That is some things I can think of off the top of my head, i'll have a look around at parts when I get home from work and see what can be done, how technical minded are your friends (willing to overclock your cpu and gpu for you?) if not can knock some money off the build at the cost of performance that you won't get without overclocking anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawliepops View Post
    Thanks for the response!
    Will I be able to do with this setup what I want?
    So can I play WoW with everything on max, even in 25 man raids and stream with good quality?
    With the setup that was linked above you could stream 25man raids with almost max settings, some of the WoW's settings are really demanding and even if you had twice as big budget you still couldn't stream 25mans while having every single setting maxed out (at playable/watchable fps).
    If you drop multisampling from 8x to 2x and shadows from ultra to high you should be able to stream at 30fps at least and without streaming you would be most of the time at 60 and above (depending if you use vsync or not).
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

Deleted
    Again, thanks for the replies! Looking at the advice of getting a capture card instead of instantly streaming I will be buying one of those cards in a few months and buy the desktop first. I'm realy happy with you guys helping me out since I don't understand a thing about overclocking, vsync, etc.

I think some of my friends can overclock it for me, else I can try to find someone who know how it works. What would be the difference when you would overclock it?

By the way, I'm in need of a desktop that is ready to use when I've let a friend build it. So I also need a copy of Windows or anything. I still don't need a mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 08:38 PM ----------

Someone told me this setup would fit my needs:

i5 3350p
    B75 motherboard
    8GB 1600mhz memory (2x4GB)
    GTX660
    128GB SSD from crucial (M4)
    1TB HDD by WD
    550w XFX feed

Do you guys think the build Faithh named above is better, or the one I'm talking about right now?
    I'm having kind of a hard time looking at the price difference since every part seems to have at least 4 versions...

Again, thanks for the replies! Looking at the advice of getting a capture card instead of instantly streaming I will be buying one of those cards in a few months and buy the desktop first. I'm realy happy with you guys helping me out since I don't understand a thing about overclocking, vsync, etc.

I think some of my friends can overclock it for me, else I can try to find someone who know how it works. What would be the difference when you would overclock it?

By the way, I'm in need of a desktop that is ready to use when I've let a friend build it. So I also need a copy of Windows or anything. I still don't need a mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 08:38 PM ----------

Someone told me this setup would fit my needs:

i5 3350p
    B75 motherboard
    8GB 1600mhz memory (2x4GB)
    GTX660
    128GB SSD from crucial (M4)
    1TB HDD by WD
    550w XFX feed

Do you guys think the build Faithh named above is better, or the one I'm talking about right now?
    I'm having kind of a hard time looking at the price difference since every part seems to have at least 4 versions...
    The only difference between you listed and I listed recently is that my list is able to overclock your CPU. Little thing to add is the XFX psu is being made by seasonic so they're pretty perfect.

WoW is really single core perfomance demanding and Intel is just far way better in it but you can boost your fps significantly by overclocking the CPU. But the price difference between the i5 3350p/b75 & z77/3570K is like ~70eur. I would pretty much stay away from overclocking if you don't have the basics of hardware. Something else to mention if you want to want to save some more money just notch the graphics card down to a 7850 or a 650ti

I think I forgot to recommend a case in my list but this one is pretty cheap -> COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 MIDI ~30eur which has options to add additional fans to improve your airflow but you only should improve your airflow if you really need it, if you don't just forget it :P

Deleted
    OP any objections against 2nd hand pc? (lots of good gaming rigs being resold @tweakers.net V&A)

Deleted
    In general I wouldn't have a problem with it. Though I find it hard to check how much the previous owner knows about computers and what has he done with it. Not looking forward to be buying a system that dies on me within a year since I don't often have money to spend on something like this. So it all depends really.

Deleted
    In general I wouldn't have a problem with it. Though I find it hard to check how much the previous owner knows about computers and what has he done with it. Not looking forward to be buying a system that dies on me within a year since I don't often have money to spend on something like this. So it all depends really.
    well any hardware deal 2nd hand should be backed up by invoices in the rare event you would need a RMA request for a part that dies. (shit happens also to brand new things)
    lots of people bought fancy systems and with the crisis they lack money so they get resold quite often. (could help checking some adds else if you'd want to)
    it would have the likely odds of having a better system for the same money. (2500k or above + Z68/Z77 mobo, high end gpu, decent cooling perhaps an ssd or you could add one yourself etc/loads of options)

Deleted
    Well, I know close to nothing when it comes to hardware, so any help is appreciated! If you happen to come across a 2nd-hand system that fits my needs and budget I'd love to hear it!

Deleted
    Well, I know close to nothing when it comes to hardware, so any help is appreciated! If you happen to come across a 2nd-hand system that fits my needs and budget I'd love to hear it!
    ill keep an eye out, damm shame saw a very good mini build 2 weeks ago for 650 euro. (came with a 2500k and a 660Ti with good other parts aswell)
    would it have to be region/city related for distance?

Deleted
    Distance shouldn't be too much of a problem. I live between The Hague and Rotterdam myself, but having to drive some kilometers doesn't hurt. As long as I don't have to drive to Den Helder and take the ferry to Texel from there it's all good.

Deleted
    Distance shouldn't be too much of a problem. I live between The Hague and Rotterdam myself, but having to drive some kilometers doesn't hurt. As long as I don't have to drive to Den Helder and take the ferry to Texel from there it's all good.
    awesome since the most stuff is in the randstad usually anyway.
    ill keep you posted.

Yeah 2nd hand is just perfect for your situation. 2500k's are going for only 100eur and the z68 mobo's aren't going for that much anymore. Also a big advantage of buying a 2nd hand gpu is you can ask the seller if it's a card which coil whines or not. I did like 4 rma's for my 680 and just all 4 were coil whining like shit, seems like coil whine is pretty common for the A7000series & N600series.

Deleted
    So with my budget, going for a 2nd hand desktop, what can I expect?
    I'm not sure how much a system goes down in value once it's been taken in use.
    Hope you'll come across something that fits me shroudster!

Again guys, appreciating all this, really helping me out here!

Deleted
    No need to go second hand

Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed 197,-

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 € 112,60

Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost 2GB GDDR5
    € 217,30

Corsair Carbide 200R
    € 50,90

Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) 64bit
    € 79,90

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    € 24,95

Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 Low Profile
    € 46,95

XFX Pro 550W
    € 52,50

Western Digital Blue Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB

€ 58,50

Total will be around 840.

That even leaves space for a monitor.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2013-02-05 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    He doesn't have that budget.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 04:49 PM ----------

So with my budget, going for a 2nd hand desktop, what can I expect?
    I'm not sure how much a system goes down in value once it's been taken in use.
    Hope you'll come across something that fits me shroudster!

Again guys, appreciating all this, really helping me out here!
    Just found some parts with a 2500k able to overclock.

2500k 125eur -> http://tweakers.net/aanbod/502227/in...00k-boxed.html
    WD storage drive HDD 35eur but only 500GB -> http://tweakers.net/aanbod/499886/we...aks-500gb.html
    Corsair 8GB lowprofile ram 35 eur -> http://tweakers.net/aanbod/502246/co...w-profile.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    He doesn't have that budget.
    Maybe you should take a look at the OP again.

How much you want to spend:
    600-800 euros.

How much you can spend:
    1000 euros, though this would be including a monitor.
    We are only talking about second handed computers, because shroudster brought it up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Maybe you should take a look at the OP again.

We are only talking about second handed computers, because shroudster brought it up.
    somehow im getting the feeling you dislike the option it provides?
    also stretching that budget to the max with such a rig there could be doubts on that. ( also the 7870 XT cards have been loud last thing i heard, perform well but louder vs other stock cards even)