Poll: Are aliens associated with any of the following

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    If a life form is intelligent enough to travel to earth they wouldn't make their appearance known, that would be stupid.
    There's also basically no chance they would be;
    A> friendly to humanity,
    B> even a little bit similar to us in any way, or
    C> open to communication.

And most UFO/aliens stuff requires at least one of the above to be true, if not multiples of them. If their technology was roughly similar to ours (so relativistic sub-light travel and such), the only reason they'd make the journey would be for resources. In which case, we're competition/threat and to be eliminated, not to mention they won't be able to hide that well. If their technology is superior enough to allow them to break the light speed barrier, it's worse. Not only can they attack us in ways we can't imagine, but they're also so far advanced that they couldn't see us as equals. At best, it would be like modern society discovering a stone-age tribe hidden in the Amazon. More likely, they'd see us the way we see monkeys.

If aliens come to the solar system, we're done. We'd have no chance whatsoever of fighting back. Movies which suggest otherwise all involve aliens that are mind-bogglingly stupid, too stupid to have invented the tech they used to get here. Any smart alien is going to realise simple truths, like the inevitability of planetary orbits. If they want us off the planet, they don't need to fly down here and start shooting, they just need to shove some Kuiper objects onto the right path and wait for them to fall onto the Earth, providing an extinction-level event that clears the planet for them. And we can't dodge the planet out of the way, nor can we strike back. Or even resist; even if we shoot the first one down, there's hundreds of thousands of those rocks out there, and it's not hard to shove them onto a path that will strike the Earth. We'll run out of resources before they do, particularly as they can pillage the outer planets while they're bombarding us.

The idea that they'd run around is saucers hiding from us and abducting farmers for probing? That's just people making stuff up, or experiencing things like sleep paralysis and not recognizing it or what it is.

Deleted
    None, but aliens exist. I don't think they're here yet. Or even if they are, they're more careful then to wreck our culture. If they're somewhere around, they are studying us.

Otherwise, as in, if they're not here to study us, they're not here at all.
    If they were here and not to study us, we'd be dead.
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2013-02-03 at 10:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aliens do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    I don't believe in intelligent life forms traveling to Earth and just get around doing some shit. But I can't ignore the possibility of not only life, but civilizations as ours. ON THEIR OWN PLANETS.

About almost all those stuff, I say that the responsible for that are those darn....

First life forms is about the right ingredients in a cycling environment (day/night) that in more than a billion years ended producing the cells, from which everything came.
    Ahaha, I love the Kazon meme! XD

Deleted
    Wow - Those poll results are fucking depressing.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, i don't think aliens have ever visited earth. They most likely are out there somewhere but i they ain't visiting us.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

*pulls out card I see everyone on this site use on...other subjects*

Provide me with solid evidence that aliens exist, and then we will talk. Until then, belief in them is utterly unfounded and illogical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonix80 View Post
    Aliens do not exist.
    Well, to be fair, there probably is extraterrestrial life out there, at some point.

The idea that it would A> have developed close enough to our solar system to be able to reach it, and B> at just the right time to have arrived in the few thousand year window that makes up recorded history? Basically zero chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    No, i don't think aliens have ever visited earth. They most likely are out there somewhere but i they ain't visiting us.
    Would be best to. Just imagine the reactions! Some will worship them, kill them, find a profit/market in them, or kill each other.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-02-03 at 10:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    Wow - Those poll results are fucking depressing.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    This. And I thought I was the whacko here..

10+ Year Old Account
    It's idiotic and illogical to just assume there isn't any other life in the universe. Not only that but it's ignorant and so egocentric. I think that if aliens visited Earth it was a very long time ago. If they suddenly appeared now, in force, I'd think they would just eradicate us or would be running from something that would want to exterminate us. Probably not with any kind of guns or bombs or a ground attack either, I think they'd just use some kind of biological weapon like create a mass plague to preserve the planet and the resources in it.
    Last edited by -Zait-; 2013-02-03 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why? We're not a technologically advanced civilization by any means on a galactic scale (so why visit us?), never mind that that at the moment, as we understand the universe, it is not possible to travel to Sol from any nearby star system that could even remotely support life in a reasonable timeframe.

Well....why do we visit zoos and go on safari's? To entertain us, and to observe animals in their habitat. Same idea could apply to why a more advanced civilization might want to watch us; for entertainment watching the primitives struggle with things that they solved long ago as well as for educational purposes.

As for traveling great distances, just because man hasn't figured it out doesn't mean it can't be done or that, if another civilization out there exists and is more technologically advanced, that they couldn't have figured it out before us.

Granted I don't really believe aliens have visited us, but I believe they exist; the idea that we're basically "it" and there is no planet out there with life on it, to me, is hilarious. The problem I think is that a lot of people have this collective sense of species ego-centrism, where we believe we are the best of the best and the idea that we might not be upsets us.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A> friendly to humanity,

I would be interested to know how you come to those conclusions. Those seem like some pretty big assumptions.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A> friendly to humanity,

And most UFO/aliens stuff requires at least one of the above to be true, if not multiples of them. If their technology was roughly similar to ours (so relativistic sub-light travel and such), the only reason they'd make the journey would be for resources. In which case, we're competition/threat and to be eliminated, not to mention they won't be able to hide that well. If their technology is superior enough to allow them to break the light speed barrier, it's worse. Not only can they attack us in ways we can't imagine, but they're also so far advanced that they couldn't see us as equals. At best, it would be like modern society discovering a stone-age tribe hidden in the Amazon. More likely, they'd see us the way we see monkeys.

If aliens come to the solar system, we're done. We'd have no chance whatsoever of fighting back. Movies which suggest otherwise all involve aliens that are mind-bogglingly stupid, too stupid to have invented the tech they used to get here. Any smart alien is going to realise simple truths, like the inevitability of planetary orbits. If they want us off the planet, they don't need to fly down here and start shooting, they just need to shove some Kuiper objects onto the right path and wait for them to fall onto the Earth, providing an extinction-level event that clears the planet for them. And we can't dodge the planet out of the way, nor can we strike back. Or even resist; even if we shoot the first one down, there's hundreds of thousands of those rocks out there, and it's not hard to shove them onto a path that will strike the Earth. We'll run out of resources before they do, particularly as they can pillage the outer planets while they're bombarding us.

The idea that they'd run around is saucers hiding from us and abducting farmers for probing? That's just people making stuff up, or experiencing things like sleep paralysis and not recognizing it or what it is.
    I'd imagine any space faring civilization would have a fairly well established resource model... if they're able to direct their forces so well, they obviously transcended war on their own planet, meaning that resources were no longer an issue for them. Unless they're taking some last-ditch, stab-in-the-dark gamble for resources (in which case expending all the necessary resources to find ONE planet probably isn't a good idea,) I don't think "resources" are a very viable reason.

Who's to say they wouldn't view earth as a curiosity?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

More Conspiracy theory threads please!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    That's a rocket. Specifically, the Progress M-06M launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, June 30 2010 (ISS resupply).

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    And that's a hole punch cloud (aka fallstreak hole). Not a UFO.

People frequently confuse or misrepresent relatively mundane things as UFOs when in fact they are not. Even if people haven't watched many rocket launches or studied any meteorology, I'll never understand why the first conclusion they jump to is "OMG UFO!" Is critical thinking really that difficult?
    Last edited by Sayl; 2013-02-03 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Forgot a URL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    I don't know, never met any, I remain skeptical, but it a posibility that they might or might not have been involved.

What if we are these aliens, we are the odd creatures in here.
    Because we can trace our evolutionary roots via the fossil record and extant microbial life forms practically back to when life first arose on this planet.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    That's a rocket. Specifically, the Progress M-06M launch from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, June 30 2010 (ISS resupply).

And that's a hole punch cloud (aka fallstreak hole). Not a UFO.

People frequently confuse or misrepresent relatively mundane things as UFOs when in fact they are not. Even if people haven't watched many rocket launches or studied any meteorology, I'll never understand why the first conclusion they jump to is "OMG UFO!" Is critical thinking really that difficult?
    Well if it is a missile and you didn't know that then it would be a UFO until identified. I think you are getting UFO and aliens confused. UFO just mean unidentified flying object not aliens. NASA has tons of UFO on video from space stations hubble telescope etc but that doesn't mean aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    What if WE are the most advanced civilization? Our closest competitors on another world may only just be crawling out of the ocean.
    Yeah, but we were made billions of years after the Big Bang and that's just because our planet which was just a rock, got struck by another planet and fused together, which made a series of I don't know what that made it possible for life to exist in our planet.

All I know is that after they were struck together, the planet was blazing hot. At the same time it released gasses that at the end made the atmosphere.

So before that, nothing existed in the universe? Everything was just lifeless? What if there was some kind of civilization that existed back then, at the time the two planets crushed and they have the same technology as we do right now? Surely by now - which is billions of years after - they are capable of interstellar travel.
    Last edited by Xilurm; 2013-02-03 at 11:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I would be interested to know how you come to those conclusions. Those seem like some pretty big assumptions.
    Well, in order;
    Why would the be at all friendly to humanity? If they're our peers technologically, then we're competition. The main reason to travel to another solar system would be resources, and we're also consuming resources. We aren't friendly with OURSELVES, and the one inevitable truth in evolution is that competition for resources is the core of the entire system. The only way they could be friendly with us is if they're entirely passive and uncompetitive, and a creature like that couldn't compete well enough to survive to begin with.

Why would they be in any way similar to us? We share about 97% of our DNA with a chimpanzee. We share about 60% of the same DNA as a chicken or fruit fly. We would share even less with an alien species. Even assuming that they'd be humanoid is baseless; ours is not an ideal shape for most things, as can be seen by the way hominids are relatively unique in this respect on the planet. About all you can expect for a technological sentient race is that they'd have some manipulator limbs, and some sensory ability. It's just as likely that they'd be ten-armed aquatic critters more similar to an octopus than a human, and who communicate primarily through variations in skin chromatophores. And even there I'm probably being too earth-centric in my predictions.

Open to communication? See above. We're primarily light and sound oriented. We speak, and use visual communication like writing. This is why we immediately went for observing the universe via the electromagnetic spectrum. This is also how things like SETI spend basically all their time trying to discover alien communication signals, in radio waves and the like. A race that evolved underground, however, may not have any visual orientation at all, and thus not use any kind of wave of beam communication whatsoever. The idea that mathematics is "the universal language" is a nice one, but we first need to recognize what we're seeing as a signal to begin with. That's a huge assumption. Some creatures on the Earth use magnetic or electromagnetic senses, or scent-based communication, or touch, etc.

People generally think "alien" means "little guy who looks like a hairless human kid". That's ridiculously unlikely. If we WERE to encounter a creature that looked like that, it would be more likely to be related to us somehow than to be truly alien. Sci-fi writers tend to shortchange the possibilities here, because it's hard to tell a story involving entities that are beyond easy understanding; unless your entire story is about that very difficulty, they tend to make them fairly human-ish just to simplify telling the story they want to tell. Even Star Wars is WAY too consistent and earth-centric in how they designed their "aliens".

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 06:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I'd imagine any space faring civilization would have a fairly well established resource model... if they're able to direct their forces so well, they obviously transcended war on their own planet, meaning that resources were no longer an issue for them. Unless they're taking some last-ditch, stab-in-the-dark gamble for resources (in which case expending all the necessary resources to find ONE planet probably isn't a good idea,) I don't think "resources" are a very viable reason.

Who's to say they wouldn't view earth as a curiosity?
    It's possible that, if their technology is superior enough, they'll just pillage the outer planets and leave us alone as a curiosity.

They also wouldn't bother hiding while they did so, though, for the same reason we don't try to hide from monkeys in the rain forest we're clearcutting.

The point is, at no point is there likely to be a beneficial contact for humanity. And most sci-fi movies that deal with alien invasions don't do the aliens justice; they have them land on Earth to duke it out with us for some ridiculous reason.

Probably one of the most realistic possibilities would be the Predator movie. No interest in communicating with us, at all. Vastly superior technology. They do their own thing and ignore us where possible.