Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Well, you have to sell Ikea, Finnlad has Nokia, Norway oil...I try to think of what actually denmark could sell. (besides badgers and Cattaclysmic)
    Am i not enough? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Well - we have Mærsk, Carlsberg, Lego, Vestas and Novo Nordic...

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Question, are guns completely banned in the Scandinavian countries, or are they just heavily controlled?
    There are no common gun law for the Nordic/Scandinavian countries..

In Norway, there's a somewhat strict gun control law (atleast comparing to the US/Texas)

Weapons for hunting purposes require a hunting exam, which then allows you to acquire up to six rifles or shotguns designed for hunting, any more hunting weapons than that require special permission from the Police. All ownership of weapons, besides .17 airguns and bows require permisson from the Police.

Handguns require that you're an active member of a shooting club, and can document 6 months of activity, before you are able to apply for a gun permission. The chosen caliber must be used in the clubs shooting program, so no .50 DE if the club only shoots .22LR.

But then there's the (confusing) world of practical shooting where again membership, and activity in a practical shooting club is required. I'm not sure of the rules here, other than handguns being allowed in accordance to the different IPSC divisions. For practical rifles, you need to shoot practical handgun for two years (and compete) before you even can consider applying for a permission for any rifle other than a hunting rifle.

Automatic weapons, in any shape or form, is banned for private use and ownership.

There's a lot more "technicalities" than this, but that's not what this thread is about..

Finland, Sweden and Norway is on 4th, 10th and 11th place of Wikipedias gun pr capita list, mostly due to strong hunting traditions.
    Last edited by ubrukelig; 2013-02-03 at 11:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post

Amagawd, forgot Lego, how could I...nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    As a resident of a nordic country, I wouldn't suggest that any country emulate us too much. It's actually rather ominous to live here, with the left-wingers dictating what's okay to say and think, and trying to control the media and even, recently a TV series. No, we don't have secret police, but I wouldn't want to live here in 20 years.
    Because the left wingers have changed your constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Britain isn't very racist, and neither is France. I can't speak for any other nations as I haven't spent more than a week anywhere else.
    i lived in england for 3 years, and there can be plenty of racism. just not the redneck/kkk type that we are used to. like many forms of english expression it tends to be understated
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

http://satwcomic.com/wild-ghost

Satw illustrates perfectly how little Danes are used to hunting and guns.
    Is there a reason Norway and Denmark have pube-beards?

I know a Dane who had to go a week without shaving and came back looking like he'd been living in a cave for 6 months.... but not exactly what I'd call a pube beard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    War? No, I meant economy wise
    We still would, and even more so.

UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and NZ vs Nordics

No contest

My team > your team
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    As a resident of a nordic country, I wouldn't suggest that any country emulate us too much. It's actually rather ominous to live here, with the left-wingers dictating what's okay to say and think, and trying to control the media and even, recently a TV series. No, we don't have secret police, but I wouldn't want to live here in 20 years.
    If you're Swedish, i'll trade with you any time. We're in a resession so it's logical that people are voting left wing rather than right wing. But on the other side people are looking for scapegoats.... immigrants (none-western) are often pointed at so voting right wing to stop that is also logical which is what is happening in Greece for example (hell, even my own country).

Don't you mean right wing?

Doesn't Mærsk build all their shit in China anyway?

I think a shipping freightliner constructed in Denmark would be laughably expensive if they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Is there a reason Norway and Denmark have pube-beards?

I know a Dane who had to go a week without shaving and came back looking like he'd been living in a cave for 6 months.... but not exactly what I'd call a pube beard.
    Because, like me, that Dane is the stereotype of the Copenhagener. He is relaxed, alcoholic and shaving is hard!

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 12:56 AM ----------

Doesn't Mærsk build all their shit in China anyway?

I think a shipping freightliner constructed in Denmark would be laughably expensive if they didn't.
    Im not sure. The guy who owned it recently died. Was in late 90s and was adamant that the company stayed in Denmark even though he was half American.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Don't you mean right wing?
    They tend to be as bad as each other as history/politics demonstrates.

No contest

My team > your team
    Pff - we got Greenland. Its like Saudi Arabia times 4 + ass freezing coldness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pff - we got Greenland. Its like Saudi Arabia times 4 + ass freezing coldness.
    Greenland and all 3 people that live there
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

No contest

My team > your team
    With the fact that the Nordic countries are some of the most wealthy countries there is now?
    How's the US economy going, btw?

Because, like me, that Dane is the stereotype of the Copenhagener. He is relaxed, alcoholic and shaving is hard!
    Indeed. You all also seem to be rather skittish when it comes to being in the wilderness. I would have thought you'd be as cool as the Finns, Swedes and Norwegians but I GUESS NOT.

Im not sure. The guy who owned it recently died. Was in late 90s and was adamant that the company stayed in Denmark even though he was half American.
    Fair enough. I'm aware Mærsk has also had a few labor scandals... which I found pretty odd considering their primary location...

Speaking of Danish companies, how has Lego managed to stay in business despite the fact that their entire business model seems to be making war against parents' bare feet? Stepping on Legos in the morning is a great way to guarantee they never get more of your money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Holy crap @ those prices, I thought gun prices in the UK were high.....
    I thought firearms here were quite reasonably priced considering the market and availability.

Indeed. You all also seem to be rather skittish when it comes to being in the wilderness. I would have thought you'd be as cool as the Finns, Swedes and Norwegians but I GUESS NOT.
    The fact of the matter is that we were too good. We had moose, wolves and bears once. ONCE!

*threatening fist*

Greenland and all 3 people that live there
    59,749 to be more precise

Deleted
    While it becomes useful for internet discussions on MMO-C, I can think of no logical reason for countries to publish reports meant for internal use in a non-native language.

Not long ago I read a report from Sweden highlighting problems they faced in their national health care system. It was in English and I can think of no good reason for that... aside from humblebragging
    But the reports aren't meant for internal use only. There are thousands of people abroad who are interested in statistics, laws and information about Nordic countries for their own business and research. Additionally, not everyone who lives in Sweden speaks swedish. Most governmental websites display a lot of material in English for this exact reason.

It has absolutely nothing to do with bragging.