Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Go to Alaska and you can sometimes see Polar Bears fighting grizzlies if you're extremely lucky.
    I would rather go to Canada. So in case i get mauled - free healthcare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Don't forget about the wolves and beavers.

All nordics put together still have less people than my state >.>

Prepare to be conquered
    Greenland has 59,749
    Sweden got 9,540,065
    Denmark got 5,580,413
    Foroe Islands got 49,483
    Norway got 5,033,675
    Finland got 5,421,827
    Åland got 320,060

We got some people!

Eh, most of us are used enough to deer and foxes. Mooses throw us a bit off as well as wolves though. I personally hate nature and all arachnids larger than a button needs to die in a fire.
    What about tiny spiders?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck finding a place to get treated in Canada where you can find both polar bears and grizzlies. Inuit healthcare isn't too good. Literally nobody lives up there lol. In reality they would air lift your broken body to Alaska. Look at a population heat map. It's striking

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 12:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Snus is disgusting and I'm happy I've not met anyone who uses it. Very unbecoming habit, more so than smoking
    Only rednecks use snus

Are Norwegians the Scandinavian rednecks?
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You quote Sweden a lot, but from what I have seen on these forums the modern Swedes are as Anti-Viking as you can get. The complete opposite really. Apart from that, good post.
    I beg to differ, there are many true "nords" out there still. Easygoing and friendly people that likes to drink beer (real beer, not the American stuff that's closer to water than a fish) with friends and that accept the views and opinions of other. But won't stand for everything. When enough is enough we can still become harder than our mountains and colder than our weather.

Then there's people still believing in everything politicians says, being as anti-swede as possible thinking even our national day is an abomination. The "weak" kind of people.

We are a tolerant people, we dislike going to war and we like to help others. We also like metal, snuff and things that goes brutally fast.

You don't needs to be from any Nordic country to be considered a "nord" it's just the way you behave.

Give me snuff, whiskey and swedes and I'll build a railroad to hell - James J. Hill

Meh. Finlands economy wont last with the way it's going. Nokia is going down to shitters aswell as the ship construction, farming is on the edge of being unproductive... not to mention paper production outsourcing plants.(Even with a 30% profit marginal). We are starting to lose the income needed to uphold our social programs. With a housing market burst in Helsinki coming to the equation, we will be fucked. Oh and now we have Euro and are a net payer for the EU and PIGS. That article is just fluff that scratches the surface when it comes to my country.

Are Norwegians the Scandinavian rednecks?
    Anyone beyond the major cities (Oslo, Copenhagen, etc) is often considered a 'redneck', in my experience of Sweden/Norway at least. Generally however i've found them to be much better people than the city folks. My girlfriend comes from around Molde which is about as Scandinavian redneck as it gets. If you think English accents are bad, you don't want to know about Scandinavian accents. My girlfriend's ex spent about 200 hours or so in the Norwegian language classes only to find that the accents in somewhere, say, 10 miles away, were impossible to understand. One of the main reasons behind the creation of Nynorsk (which most Norwegians in my experience beyond Oslo consider pointless) was due to the extreme dialect differences. Take the Norwegian for 'which';

Oslo; Hvilken (pronounced pretty much how it's spelled)
    Molde area; Hvilken (pronounced 'Karshin')

Generally though people in Oslo/Kristiansand and the like tend to be obnoxious, rude or arrogant; not explicitly but in terms of attitude.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2013-02-04 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Meh. Finlands economy wont last with the way it's going. Nokia is going down to shitters aswell as the ship construction, farming is on the edge of being unproductive... not to mention paper production outsourcing plants.(Even with a 30% profit marginal). We are starting to lose the income needed to uphold our social programs. With a housing market burst in Helsinki coming to the equation, we will be fucked. Oh and now we have Euro and are a net payer for the EU and PIGS. That article is just fluff that scratches the surface when it comes to my country.
    I have it on good authority that this guy knows how to fix the Finnish economy.

(I fucking love any excuse I can think of to break this video out because it makes me laugh so hard)

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Question, are guns completely banned in the Scandinavian countries, or are they just heavily controlled?
    There are around 800.000 registrated gun owners in Sweden. Around 2,5 million legally owned guns as far as I know, you can get a license for almost anything, but it takes time and there are things you need to do before you apply for a license, what that is depends on what type of rifle or gun you want to acquire, a semi automatic rifle(like the AR 15) requires you to be an active member of a rifle assocation(shooting club) for 6 months, they will test and trial you and eventually give you the documents you need to give to the police before being granted a license. It's a similiar process for all types of guns, but it's different depending on the type and purpose of the gun.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-04 at 12:42 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Very much. But they look damned cool!
    I cant remember who told me but some say that those helmets may have been used for ritual purposes. I mean - they have helmets and drank mead from horns. Who is to say they didnt just attach them to the helmets after a particularly drunken night.
    Vikings never used horned helmets, the horns was introduced by the german opera in the 17hundreds ish.

There are just a few helmet findings from the viking age, mostly due to the cost of iron was very high even though norway at least was a giant in iron exports, we just didn't afford to spend the iron on ourselfs, so we used mostly leather caps.
    the helmets found look like iron caps with a nose protector so that the helmets front gets formed as a cross.

Edit: The idea of horned helmets came from a painting or drawing of the norse halfgod Loke, who was wearing a horned helmet.
    Last edited by Roxyfoxy; 2013-02-04 at 12:45 AM.

Too many immigrants? fuck yes they are all over and im SICK of them, leeching money from this land! Enough of them already. We are like a nation full of red cross help man, ffs. Im not a racist, but I see many new immigrants showing up all the time and its not pleasing. We have enough of them already.
    Last edited by Hb; 2013-02-04 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hb View Post
    Too many immigrants? fuck yes they are all over and im SICK of them, leeching money from this land! Enough of them already. We are like a nation full of red cross help man, ffs. Im not a racist, but I see many new immigrants showing up all the time and its not pleasing. We have enough of them already.
    You can't be the cool and rich guy, without other people wanting a part of your cake.

(Or in our case, some people want their cake actually back )

They are very tiny countries who depend on huge export/import imbalances and in most cases niche industries. Norway in particular has hugely benefited from oil exports. I can't think of any relevant lessons for developing countries or larger first world countries, any more than a student council would offer insight into mass politics. Apart from factors such as smallness and cultural homogeneity and sheer dumb luck, I would attribute their success the culture of the Protestant work ethic (which they are quickly discarding) that developed in much of northern Europe. That's not really a lesson with much carryover.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    They are very tiny countries who depend on huge export/import imbalances and in most cases niche industries. Norway in particular has hugely benefited from oil exports. I can't think of any relevant lessons for developing countries or larger first world countries, any more than a student council would offer insight into mass politics. Apart from factors such as smallness and cultural homogeneity and sheer dumb luck, I would attribute their success the culture of the Protestant work ethic (which they are quickly discarding) that developed in much of northern Europe. That's not really a lesson with much carryover.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

The fact of the matter is that we were too good. We had moose, wolves and bears once. ONCE!

*threatening fist*
    We had a wolf in the middle of my city last weekend! ;P

A guy managed to catch it on video on his way home from the pub! Here is a screen shot, not sure if the video is up on youtube.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

15+ Year Old Account
    http://satwcomic.com/wild-ghost

Satw illustrates perfectly how little Danes are used to hunting and guns.

Poor Albin :/
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Commissarr View Post
    I thought firearms here were quite reasonably priced considering the market and availability.
    High compared to the US, but not unaffordable here. A .50 BMG anti material rifle costs £5k here, cheaper than the USA. Some cost more here, some less, depends on the rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    where the hell are the blonde big boobed arayan princesses?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm from a nordic country and a super model, yay.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 06:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Lego is Danish? My entire childhood has been shattered.
    Yes it is
    Sidenote, if there were a Ken & Barbie but as Ken & Ken it would probably be swedish.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.