Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Hong Kong and Singapore doesn't rely on a diminishing natural resource though. They got themselves locked up in the sweet spot as long as other countries go towards more economic regulation. Their only threat is other countries near them going free market.

It's not like you have to compete viciously to get employed in other sectors. You just need more than passing the tests.
    Yea, but i dont know how much city states can be a guiding force for countries. I mean - Monaco is doing pretty well and so is the Vatican but its not really a great business model to follow :P

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I am disappoint. I came into this thread expecting actual super models.
    Lol, tough that to.

Also good read, should be mandatory for any whinny bitchy politicans and people who complain about our countries. Yes it can get better, but its already good.

FUEL ON FIRE TLDR: Denmark out of all scandinavien countries, Germany to, has the least reason for a person to work, as the media spins it (Old news really), cause of our big welfare to unemployed people.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    In soviet Scandinavia foot breaks lego!
    I hear kids have lost teeth trying to destroy lego. Your feet will have no chance

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    It's not like you have to compete viciously to get employed in other sectors. You just need more than passing the tests.
    There is competition by default in the job market, there are fewer jobs available than there are willing people. So being guaranteed a job is a pretty big incentive.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    There is competition by default in the job market, there are fewer jobs available than there are willing people. So being guaranteed a job is a pretty big incentive.
    To get in to university. Not to push yourself during it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    I can only speak for Finnish universities, but you don´t exactly just pop out of them with a "free" degree. You really need to work for even the lowest grades. Anyone who can graduate from one is more than competent to be in his field.

Deleted
    I certainly don't want to get fired after one week just because I only had enough knowledge to pass university.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get at here, but it seems like you think that getting into university would net you a decent job no matter your degree or quality. That is untrue, at least for Norway. University is tough, and so is the job market. Both Norway and Sweden has international job markets, meaning that you might be competing against Engineers for instance from other countries. Gone is the day when you only compete against your own "kind".

I would rather employ someone who has a degree, no matter whether his grades is sub-par, rather than someone who wasted 3 years of his life doing nothing except working on the local supermarket. One thing that is true in Norway, is that grades has very little to say when it comes to your future job. It is your personality and the way you're promoting yourself that would be getting you a job. For Engineers in Norway, only 1% of the employers finds grades to be important. That is rather significant, and I think this is what you're trying to get at here.

One thing you would need to consider is whether you're a practical or a theoretical person. Most of those who graduate with sub-par grades would actually tend to be the best persons for the job. Most of them are learning-by-doing, rather than being told what is good and what is bad and memorize that. I were an A-level student myself, and I've studied in Singapore and currently working on a second degree on the side. I've studied and worked with a ton of people who had rather poor grades, but they tend to surpass me in many fields even though my grades tell me I should be ahead. So what I'm trying to say is that grades is not everything. As long as you get the basics in, then the practical work will be your testing ground. You do not graduate as an engineer, you become one through work and time.

The problem with larger countries is that there's too much competition, and most of the time only grades will be your way to stand out. Therefore, those who do not have the "appropriate" grades would be thrown away. Which leads back to my earlier conclusion. You might end up with a theoretical person who have no knowledge as to how he would implement it. You might get lucky, and end up with a genius. As long as the company has the availability in order for people to actually adjust, then most people would be able to become the person the company wanted.

Norway is the leading business within pretty much everything regarding offshore operations (subsea and so on), including ship design and such. This knowledge and expertise was created through combining a large range of people from different background and grades and form something new and innovative. I could point out my little town, which has a mere 7000 inhabitants. From this tiny maritime cluster, you have the headquarter of companies like Rolls-Royce Marine and such. This was not created by the selective minded who only tend to look at your grades.

My experience so far in life is that grades is not everything. An interview would often show your strengths and weaknesses beyond your grades. Most jobs also has a 6-12 months trial period, within this period you'll have to show yourself. If you do end up being of no use to the company, there's no problem for them to just fire you.

Getting into university is another thing. There are rather high standards in order to get in.
    Last edited by Pancha; 2013-02-04 at 04:24 PM.

The article's main point was "pragmatism over ideology". Some here seem to have missed that.

I for one look forward to the day when free markets and state control will cease to be regarded as religions and more as different tools that might prove useful in the right situation.

The lowest grade is "Acceptable"

As in. You will only ever graduate if you did at least acceptable.

Deleted
    The lowest grade is "Acceptable"

As in. You will only ever graduate if you did at least acceptable.
    Well I could not imagine them allowing an unacceptable to pass.

There is a lack of Doctors, we get people from all over Europe coming here to work as doctors(some have to compliment their exams from their home country), as well as elswhere in the world, because we activly try to recruit since there is a domestic shortage. The last 15 years we have on average "imported" around 330 more doctors per year then what we have "exported", you are arguing against basic supply and demand, one of the core fundations of capitalism.

They are working on increasing the amount of qualified doctors by
    A. recruiting from abroad
    B. increase the number of open university spots
    C. Get swedes to educate themselves abroad and come back home.

All these 3 methods work well for us but there is still a shortage atm.

Edit: And what Cata said.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-04 at 04:49 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Well I could not imagine them allowing an unacceptable to pass.
    When i say they are secured a job its not even totally correct. We are secured a job but the job is part of the education into a specialty. I believe its called "residency" in English. After that you are on your own i guess.

Deleted
    When i say they are secured a job its not even totally correct. We are secured a job but the job is part of the education into a specialty. I believe its called "residency" in English. After that you are on your own i guess.
    Yeah, the residency proves that you are either up to the job or are becoming a dentist instead.

Yeah, the residency proves that you are either up to the job or are becoming a dentist instead.
    A doctor for my teeth? What's next? A lawyer for my hair!?

Deleted
    A doctor for my teeth? What's next? A lawyer for my hair!?
    Anyone that REALLY fucks it up, and I mean real bad, usually goes the route of the Psychiatrist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone that REALLY fucks it up, and I mean real bad, usually goes the route of the Psychiatrist.
    I thought the psychiatrist was the actual doctor and the psychologist was the "I read a book once," type.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

so where do podiatrists fit onto your scale?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I thought the psychiatrist was the actual doctor and the psychologist was the "I read a book once," type.
    psychiatrist are like psychologist but with more pills

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    You would be flabbergasted by the amount of Swedish youth working in the service sectors here in Norway. If you were to travel to Oslo today or during the summer holidays, you would be greeted by swedes pretty much everywhere. Sweden currently has an unemployment rate of 22.5% in the age range from 18-25, a rate which would've been a lot higher if it weren't for the jobs they were getting in Norway. Norway almost has no unemployment at all. Why? Because the oil sector is flourishing, and the other sectors lack the necessary workforce. Hence foreign workers are used as fillers.
    Missed this, yeah there are a lot of young Swedes working in Norway but it's hard to say how high youth unemployment is tbh, if you define that with people who are doing "nothing". We use the system UN's International Labour Organization(only way to do it if you want to compare unemployment with other countries) got, which means a full time student would be considered unemployed as long as they are out looking for a job on the side or want to work extra. I'm all for a student working during their studies, I do that myself, but a full time student does not really "need" to work(I think they should though), since they got their student grant and the student loan.

So there are a couple of ways to calculate it.

The official way used by Statistics Sweden:

149 300 people / 652 100 people = 22,9 % unemployed

Youth unemployment excluding full time students in the workforce, age 15-24

(149 300- 66 600)/ (652 100- 66 600)= 14,1 % unemployed

Youth unemployment excluding full time students in the entire population, age 15-24

(149 300 people – 66 600 people ) / 1 244 200 people = 6,6 % unemployed

So it depends on how one defines unemployed. Which also different political parties will try to use to their advantage ;P
    Here is a full read(in Swedish)
    http://www.ekonomifakta.se/sv/stand-...tsstatistiken/

The big problem is during the summer, since a lot of students want a summer job.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-04 at 06:12 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...