Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Still rooting for the 49r's tomorrow?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--re...190346715.html

The organization apologized and made this video saying their players are against what was said.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/san-f...-better-video/

The players thought it was about anti bullying and misrepresented them, thus pulling the ad.

Do you support an organization that supports these beliefs?

Who cares what they think? It has to do with their personal beliefs. People are fans of TEAMS first and foremost not players. Furthermore, the organization itself supports the LBGT community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stupid players cracking under SB pressure with egos so large they gotta open their mouths to let it escape. more at 11.

But I was going to root for the Ravens anyways, even if I dislike Flacco.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they win, they will set my city on fire. If they lose, they'll still set it on fire. So I dont really care.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    The "organization" does not support those beliefs. I can't imagine anybody actually thinks that.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--re...190346715.html

The organization apologized and made this video saying their players are against what was said.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/san-f...-better-video/

The players thought it was about anti bullying and misrepresented them, thus pulling the ad.

Do you support an organization that supports these beliefs?
    So, let me see if I got this straight. A team member of a sports team that someone may like doesn't said something negative about gays/lesbians/certain race/certain hair colors and somehow people should feel outraged about it?

Here's a real shocker, some people simply don't like certain people and/or groups of people.

It's not like the organization came out and said something about (insertspecificgrouphere) or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The "organization" does not support those beliefs. I can't imagine anybody actually thinks that.
    The problem is that players are part of the organization, and are really the face of it. Thus, anything a player says is going to get scrutenized. If the organization knew their players believed thus, they should have never let them be interviewed and put them through PR training.

While they are entitled to their opinions, they need to smarten up and learn to shut up if it directly conflicts with the organization they play for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    The problem is that players are part of the organization, and are really the face of it. Thus, anything a player says is going to get scrutenized. If the organization knew their players believed thus, they should have never let them be interviewed and put them through PR training.
    They're not gonna ask everyone their social and political beliefs in order to let them join a sports team...

Passive aggression by allowing people like this to play in the game. What kind of message are they sending by doing nothing?

Just saying that guy who made the racist comments on soccer was punished, he is just some random dude.
    Last edited by chadwix; 2013-02-03 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    My favorite part:

"The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel,"
    But yeah, one player saying something stupid doesn't mean I don't want the team to win. For me, it's really more about pride for my home town than it is about the players or even the team.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    They're not gonna ask everyone their social and political beliefs in order to let them join a sports team...
    Well obviously, becuase a sports team should be based on athletic ability. However, when the face of your organization directly conflicts with your organization and fan base, then you need to educate them in the art of PR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Passive aggression by allowing people like this to play in the game. What kind of message are they sending by doing nothing?
    Probably sending a message that nothing he said was illegal, against the NFL's rules, or in no way affects his or anyone else's play on the field. Not to mention they forced an apology from him. You can tell they forced it because he obviously didn't believe the apology he himself was making.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    My favorite part:

But yeah, one player saying something stupid doesn't mean I don't want the team to win. For me, it's really more about pride for my home town than it is about the players or even the team.
    I think the funny part about his comment "taking back" what he said was: "The derogatory comments I made yesterday were a reflection of thoughts in my head, but they are not how I feel.", wait, what? You said a comment that was in your head... but you don't feel the way you were thinking at that point in time?

15+ Year Old Account
    If I stopped liking teams for something dumb one of their players did, I don't think I'd have any sports teams left.

The best part is how Culliver is being forced to attend sensitivity training and education camps.

Speak your mind, get sent to a re-education camp. Great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Well obviously, becuase a sports team should be based on athletic ability. However, when the face of your organization directly conflicts with your organization and fan base, then you need to educate them in the art of PR.
    He's not even a starter.....how can he be the "face" of the organization?

10+ Year Old Account
    He is still a player, unless he was solely practise squad. We fans dont see the management (most of the time), we see the guys that suit up and play the game for 3 hours. We analyze their stats. We put them on our fantasy football league. He doesnt need to be a starter to be a face of it. Obviously it would have been a bit worse if say, Kaerpatrick said it or crabtree said it.

People with no football knowledge (or desire to have any) and support lbgt rights see him as their face. They will deem it as acceptable behaviour by doing nothing, if it aint broke dont fix it, right?

2/3rds of local niners fans are lbgt (think i heard of sports radio), if they take "the team" over this one can we really respect the "movement"?
    Last edited by chadwix; 2013-02-03 at 03:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People with no football knowledge (or desire to have any) and support lbgt rights see him as their face. They will deem it as acceptable behaviour by doing nothing, if it aint broke dont fix it, right?
    I never said to do nothing about it. I would assume he will be fined and probably forced into some kind of social work. I just don't see how anybody can hear that and think "that's what the 49er's think".

I never said to do nothing about it. I would assume he will be fined and probably forced into some kind of social work. I just don't see how anybody can hear that and think "that's what the 49er's think".
    After the game kinda sets their priorities doesnt it?

Is there something in the contracts of professional athletes that state they can't form and discuss their own opinion on things? I can understand fines for things like low blows, sliding into a tackler with kleets facing him, etc but simply voicing your own personal opinion? That's like the epitome of a robot, no? Basically doing and saying what's "acceptable" to the team/league. I'd be totally fine with the team firing him or something (don't really know how their contracts work) but giving a fine or something? Jees.