"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So practically 2PiB and still going?!
    More like crawling, backwards, uphill.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    More like crawling, backwards, uphill.
    Well, that's still an insane amount!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    I don't think that 840 is comparable with 840 Pro and the rest mainly because of its shortened lifespan. Most likely getting either 830, M4 or V4, please help me decide which one
    You're welcome to get whatever you like... but it seems like you sort of ignored the point being made. There is no effective 'shortened' lifespan. That 3.5 years figure was based off a RIDICULOUS amount of data writing that is impossible to achieve by even 1/10th without doing stress tests 24/7. And even then, is just the WLC, not the actual life of the drive.

I got my drive on Nov 1, 2012. It's been 3 months since then. I guarantee that I make more data writes than you will, and have written 1.47TB. 1.47*4= ~6TB a year. Based off that information, my drive ought to last me.... about... well longer than I'll be alive, basically.

Again, you can make your choices, but don't make choices based off misinterpreted information.

Well, that's still an insane amount!
    Yeah considering it was a 64GB drive.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah considering it was a 64GB drive.
    Holy crap.

I guess I'm set for.... a while. XD
    "A flower.

Holy crap.

I guess I'm set for.... a while. XD
    Unless you get unlucky you will probably replace it due to lack of size before it dies :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you get unlucky you will probably replace it due to lack of size before it dies :P
    This is very likely.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    *snip*
    I apologize, I indeed have misinterpreted the review and you are completely correct. It assumes 10x write amplification, but in real life, with compression, the amplification ratio drops below 1x, which reduces the wear level. 140TB written data is indeed a bit hard to reach.

I suppose that the 840 is still a fairly good alternative.

15+ Year Old Account
    Samsung 840.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Deleted
    I use the (now discontinued) Kingston HyperX 240G (the blue one). I think it's an awesome SSD, performs well and uses Intel MLC NAND with a rated 5,000 P/E cycle endurance. You may find it increasingly difficult to find one now that it is discontinued, and tbh you probably won't see the benefits of an extra 2,000 P/E cycles unless you're an extremely heavy user but I just wanted to give this one an honorable mention. I recently added a second one in RAID 0 and with RST 11.6+ RAID0 TRIM support I'm getting fantastic results (around 1050 MB/sec in both read and write).

Deleted
    Wish I could, but I'm not from the US.

So, are you all suggesting me to go for the 840?

Deleted
    I would go for the M4, I think the 830 has gone up in price making the M4 the better drive price/performance wise. If you can get a 830 for about the same price as the M4 you could go with the 830. But they are pretty equal i think.

10+ Year Old Account
    M4 is probably the best bang for your buck, 840 isn't that far behind. Whichever is more readily available where you are at a better price is the best way to go. As you have gathered by now unless you get unlucky and receive a DOA or unit that will be covered under warranty anyway it will outlast its sizes use. Only other thing you may want to check is as you said its for a notebook just double check that your notebook doesn't require 7mm form factor drives (I think most ssd's are anyway but just play it safe and double check that).

Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    The 830 is kinda hard to find in my country as it has been discontinued. There are few places that I could get it from, but what makes it better than Vertex 4 or M4?

According to THIS review:
    -MLC's lifespan with 10GB/day write is 10.5 years for 128GB and 21 years for 256GB
    -TLC's lifespan with 10GB/day is respectively 3.5 years and 7 years.

Sure, you might argue that this is too much write per day, but note that the following cause a lot of writes on the partition:
    -the internet browsers constantly write on the HDD because of their caching feature
    -OS makes temporary files basically all the time
    -chat programs keep logs
    -occasional updates
    -windows' swap file (pagefile.sys) and hibernation file; Linux's swap partition
    -random downloads
    -heavy programs' cache files, i.e. Photoshop's Scratch Disk feature

Of course, you could limit these writes by moving the files to a hard drive, but this will impact the performance, though.

Anyway, I'm looking for 128, not 256 gigs SSD and I need a reliable one. I don't think that 840 is comparable with 840 Pro and the rest mainly because of its shortened lifespan. Most likely getting either 830, M4 or V4, please help me decide which one
    Even with all those writes, you will not reach close to 10GB/day. Not even half more than likely. So you are looking at a drive that will still last longer than any other component in your system, even at half the life. I mean, if I were a large company that was running huge backups or other writes to an SSD, daily, for whatever reason, than that lifespan would bother me. As a home user/gamer who does not write large files daily, I think the lifespan of the cheaper one is more than good enough as it will last at least until they come down in price or larger drives are available for cheaper.

In other words, you are more likely to replace it before it goes dead anyway.

I mean, if I were a large company that was running huge backups or other writes to an SSD, daily, for whatever reason, than that lifespan would bother me.
    If you were in charge of procurement in the IT department of a business with that kind of work-load, why the hell would you be using consumer level SSDs in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If you were in charge of procurement in the IT department of a business with that kind of work-load, why the hell would you be using consumer level SSDs in the first place?
    Out of curiosity, what are enterprise level SSDs? I still do occasional contract work with a military design company, and they're always looking for stupidly high hard drive speeds where cost isn't an issue.

Out of curiosity, what are enterprise level SSDs? I still do occasional contract work with a military design company, and they're always looking for stupidly high hard drive speeds where cost isn't an issue.
    Intel 710 series, OCZ Velodrive, OCZ Z-Drive, Kingston SSDnow E100 & Seagate Pulsar.2. There are others as well but I cba to find them atm.

For military design I guess maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820248008 should be in order.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-04 at 07:12 PM.

Deleted
    what kind of speeds? (1-1,5 Gb/s? read/write?)
    something allong these lines or am i thinking too small on the enterprise scale of things? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227744)