10+ Year Old Account

Shaman power question.

It's known that shamans gain their power through asking the elemental spirits and borrowing it, they don't subdue the power and control like a mage or warlock would. My question is, do they have to ask every single time for when they want to cast a spell? Must they ask for every lightning bolt, every laval burst, every healing wave? Or are they granted power over an element, are free to use it whenever, but if they break the balance it is revoked?
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-02-04 at 06:56 AM.

I get the feeling that for big spells they must ask on a case by case, and just at the start of a fight to use their general abilities. Bit hard to answer really, none of the novels with Thrall have really had him doing much minor spellwork, and I don't remember there being any other shaman heavily novelised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol man it would kind of suck being a shaman. Would suck really hard if you're in the heat of battle, and you call for the elements to shield you, but they don't help and you end up getting impaled or something.

Dunno about other shaman, but I am certain goblin shaman don't ask to take power from the elemental :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeean View Post
    Dunno about other shaman, but I am certain goblin shaman don't ask to take power from the elemental :P
    They make deals. It's not exactly the same as an orc or draenei shaman asking, but they aren't forcing the elements. Thrall wouldn't have vouched for the goblins had that been the case. They treat their connection with the elements as a business, and try to always get the better part of the deal.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-02-04 at 06:57 AM.

As far as I recall, the elements can even offer their services at some times if a shaman is in good attunement. Thrall was fighting in hand to hand combat once and he felt the earth vibrating slightly, offering to topple his opponent with an earthquake. (This was in Lord of the Clans, my go-to source for shamanism) So in combat, the elements are readily available, if the cause is just. But that is the only non gameplay related occurance of that, and taking Thrall as an example for a regular shaman is not really correct either.

And yes, conerning goblin shamans, it was established that they basically barter with the elements.

if you remain attuned with them they will listen. The majority of orcs lost this when the demon blood pact was made (seen directly during the major quest in Shadowmoon valley).

Greater attunement means even greater feats, though you still need skill, capability and experience to handle and manage the load and potency

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    It's known that shamans gain their power through asking the elemental spirits and borrowing it, they don't subdue the power and control like a mage or warlock would. My question is, do they have to ask every single time for when they want to cast a spell? Must they ask for every lightning bolt, every laval burst, every healing wave? Or are they granted power over an element, are free to use it whenever, but if they break the balance it is revoked?
    Technically a Shaman is like a priest, they both must ask a diety for assistance. A mage and warlock draw their mana or energy to cast spells from magical forces around them... so a Shaman \ priest draw power from their chosen god. If you pray to a god, and the you are ordained or in good graces with your god, those spells will ALWAYS work, they aren't "chance" casting... mages and warlocks should fail more often since their energy is from the planet or syergy from magical forces which they tap into.

A shaman therefore must pay dues, by praying, giving sacrifices, etc.. to their chosen god (yes like dailies in WoW for REP!) regularly to ensure they keep their status. Unlike Wow however if they DON'T pray they will lose their power, and hence ability to "cast" spells... in WoW once you are given a power, talent, or reputation you can't lose it... you get it you keep it..

There are exceptions such as gaining rep with opposing faction to one you have garnered friendly or honored status... but those are few. For the most part a shaman will always be "in" with their god.. in order to be a "shaman" status you are ASSUMED to be from god... which is why they are so rare.. it's not easy being shaman