Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

latest sub figures

Does anyone have any idea when the latest Wow sub figures are going to be released?

The last financial quarter ended recently and theyre part of Blizzards financial quarterly report so im guessing its soon right?

They will have their call this week, I think it was the 6th. So the numbers will be out quite soon, perhaps the 7th. MMO has them always 1 day after the call on the frontpage.

Deleted
    What's up with people and their overly-grown exagerated interest towards the subscription value of wow? Lately, I feel that mmo-c has been invaded by Activision-Blizzard shareholders.... everyone asking about the subs left and right.

I personally believe the numbers of subs are related to changes made or reverted.

I saw a lot of qq regarding some features in MoP; the grind, dailies, gear behind rep and stuff. All in place just to make sure we spend a lot of time online. This goes especially for those countries where players don;t pay a monthly sub but pay for their time online.

I personally don't like this either.. and the only way this will change is a huge drop in subs. If subs stay about the same, then the direction will be evaluated as okay.
    From this point of view, the sub numbers are quite interesting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    What's up with people and their overly-grown exagerated interest towards the subscription value of wow? Lately, I feel that mmo-c has been invaded by Activision-Blizzard shareholders.... everyone asking about the subs left and right.
    its the best (by no means perfect) indication we have of how the new expansions direction is being received by players and that may impact on whether or not there is a change of direction by Bliz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I understand why people care so much, but I want them to accept one thing:
    A decline in subs is no guarantuee that Blizzard will change their direction to something you prefer!

And as long as people understand this, the forum will be a much nicer place
    No, not into something you want... but Blizz knows what is driving people away as they leave a message at the door and general complaints on different forums.
    Even on MMO-C we have a blue poster, reading and sometimes posting.

We say patch 4.3 making a 180 degree turn during Cata.
    So it is not directed to make 1 person happy but they try to take away the major qq-reasons.

We can complaint whatever we want...... but in the end: money talks.

Deleted
    A decline in subs is no guarantuee that Blizzard will change their direction to something you prefer!
    True. But. Anything, ANYTHING is better than the current bot-friendly/alt-unfriendly/LFR and CRZ-infested/raid-or-quit shit. A "decline in subs" aka less money is the only language the Activsion-Blizzard of 2013 understands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    More people than ever have more things to do than ever.
    Blizzard will most likely do nothing particularly drastic even if subs drop . It's just the post-expansion drop we see every time.
    Well, since anyone reasonable could see how an 8year old game don't attract new people even by a fraction as fast as it did when it was new.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted

And as long as people understand this, the forum will be a much nicer place
    I agree that game changes r not necessarily liked by each player... but some of us r looking outside of the insular world of Wow. Did MoP really pull back so many players? Did MoP gain a whole load of new players? Was the Panda theme a success or should they have aimed at a more grownup market? That kinda thing... sadly the only way to really answer those questions effectively is to view the quarterly financial report.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    No, not into something you want... but Blizz knows what is driving people away as they leave a message at the door and general complaints on different forums.

We say patch 4.3 making a 180 degree turn during Cata.
    So it is not directed to make 1 person happy but they try to take away the major qq-reasons.

We can complaint whatever we want...... but in the end: money talks.
    Subs went down in cata, changes in MoP changed that. If they change it to cata style subs will go down more. Subs go up and down. GC will not make your toon OP to stop it so don't hold your breath lol

Blizzard pretty much came out and said they screwed up Cata launch by making things too hard and then proceeded to give us super casual Twilight heroics and LFR and yet there are still people on this forum who would insist that Cata lost subs because it was too casual. People will believe what they want to believe.

MMOC's blue poster is purely there to provide tech support advice

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    MMOC's blue poster is purely there to provide tech support advice
    So you think they told one of their employees to post here but they do not read the topics other than tech problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    So you think they told one of their employees to post here but they do not read the topics other than tech problems?
    They certainly read it but they don't post except to offer tech support advice.
    Synstir claimed that a blue posts in WoW related discussions which is not true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    And those numbers are always weighted too. Like when Cataclysm lost all those subs after its first patch people thought a million people just up and rage quit because dungeons were too hard, nobody stopped to think that the 4.0 patch left a lot of lower end systems in the dust and entirely eliminated PowerPC support (which I know Americans don't think amounts to anything, but a lot of people in Asia and Europe still used non-Intel Macs and got chopped off when Cata hit which is where the sub loss was most widespread.)

People always use these subscription reports only as petty anecdotal evidence of positive or negative change based on something they wanted being or not being put into the game. That's pretty much their only function for anybody outside of a board room.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    They certainly read it but they don't post except to offer tech support advice.
    Synstir claimed that a blue posts in WoW related discussions which is not true.
    I don't think that was the point of his post, I think it was more to point out that we now have proof in the form of a Blizzard poster on the boards that they do read the complaints from players posted here.

The funny thing is that people move on in life, grown up, or in cases pass on. This causes changing in subs and people thing its a big deal. Numbers change all the time and its going to when you have such a huge diverse game like WoW. Losing 1 million subs could mean they left, or had real life stuff and will be back or just simply stopped subbing and went to game cards. If you enjoy playing play and dont let this concern you. Alternately if you dont like playing leave and enjoy whatever else it is you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    The funny thing is that people move on in life, grown up, or in cases pass on. This causes changing in subs and people thing its a big deal. Numbers change all the time and its going to when you have such a huge diverse game like WoW. Losing 1 million subs could mean they left, or had real life stuff and will be back or just simply stopped subbing and went to game cards. If you enjoy playing play and dont let this concern you. Alternately if you dont like playing leave and enjoy whatever else it is you like.
    Whilst this is true you would expect the number of people leaving for these reasons to be pretty constant if one million people suddenly up and leave there is most likely an underlying problem with the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    I think its safe to say that the vast majority of a 1million subs loss would be cos theyve stopped playing wow cos theyve had enough of it. Its also safe to say that most of those lost players have moved on to other games. I doubt that a 1million player drop is cos they all died like u said lol

And surely the rate that people 'grow out' of the game is equal to the amount who join the game for the first time right?

The game card point is actually extremely controversial because Blizzard DO include their game card sales into the subscription figure. And we all know that the Asian market do not subscibe, they use gamecards, thats how the Asian gaming culture works. People go out and buy gametime and then activate it. Blizzard has a very controversial way of estimating how many 'subs' they have in Asia and including it into the total subs number they release every quarter.

Ill let u all decide just how easily manipulated the gametime cards figures are...

Quote Originally Posted by Saffa View Post
    Subs went down in cata, changes in MoP changed that. If they change it to cata style subs will go down more. Subs go up and down. GC will not make your toon OP to stop it so don't hold your breath lol
    Who said I want my toon to be OP?
    And we don;t know if MoP changed anything in subs.. yeah it went back up at the start of the xpac, but that is not more than a logical reaction to a new xpac.

We'll just have to wait and see how the new style of wow, dailies, grind etc. will impact subs.