Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Impact of droprates LFR on motivation

Hi,

Since I just stopped running LFR after 3 weeks of nothing that goldbags, I was wondering how the droprates in LFR impacted your motivation to run lfr.
    Obviously this post is not meant for those who are lucky with drops, but those who go weeks without seeing any drops can get their motivation crushed to run it, like me.
    I think I will just wait for the next patch and then run 5.0 lfr with increased rates.

I think this will prevent me for wasting my time online... as lfr can take up quite some time.

Before people start that I want everything without effort and stuff.... NO that's not true.
    But going 2 weeks without a single drop... not even something I already had, and using 3 coins each week, I just lost motivation to run it.
    And I am running it for loot... cause seeing the content happened the first time I ran it; after that it was just loot.

Just curious if other players with bad luck have the same thing.

Drops. nah. No impact.

Wiping 5 times in a row due to ppl sucking on garalon is another matter. Yes. they still wipe on garalon -.-

Gave up on gearing my alt because wasn't seeing drops in LFR and doing the dailies on it didn't feel very appealing. Now I have no raiding alt at all :/ My main thank god hasn't needed anything from LFR pretty much the whole time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Drops. nah. No impact.

Wiping 5 times in a row due to ppl sucking on garalon is another matter. Yes. they still wipe on garalon -.-
    Lulz, never wiped on LFR.

i've had more drops from LFR than my normal raid runs in the same amount of time.

But only on my main, not my pally.

So yeah. RNG is RNG

i can also relate to Kangado *sighs about dagger* but hey all the other drops from terrace dropped for me at some time or another.

also was it my imagination or did they mention that LFR drop rates for the old raid tier will be increased in 5.2?

from what i see we still gear up around the same speed as before. Some gear faster, some gear slower as per their RNG luck. Just the system providing it is different so people complain. (this has been said to death).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I here "RNG is RNG" one more time.........

Tomorrow I get another 4 chances (1 without charms, 3 with) at trying to get LFR Taoren. The gold that has dropped the past several weeks from Lei Shi has royally pissed me off. I'm not ashamed to admit that I was considering paying for some website/group to get it for me. Fortunately I have not made such a move, nor will I anytime in the foreseeable future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I can understand that some get frustrated by only seeing gold, since you can't see what the boss "dropped".

But just like in DS, I can go for weeks without getting anything. Or worse back then, seeing people ninja items I desperately need when they had better items already.
    Aah, seeing a trinket I needed DE:d in front of me, good times.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

My main is completely geared through LFR thankfully... now my alts is a whole different subject. Can't get lucky on them at all but with them being alts it doesn't really matter to me at all. If it was my main I'd be a little more angry though
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Drops. nah. No impact.

Just sayin', all it takes is one/two people with brains to make garalon not be a wipe. But it is hard finding 1-2 people to stand up and do something helpful in LFR... so do it yourself.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuragalolz View Post
    Lulz, never wiped on LFR.
    I've never wiped too, but some of the 24 idio... fine gentlemen playing with me sometimes wipe, dragging me with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

Loot is the only motivation for me to do LFR, so yeah. Maybe I would do it once if it's the only way to see a new raid.

Considering I do LFR for fun and VP, then nope. Drop rates have no effect.

I guess if you're losing motivation, change what motivates you. Going for loot isn't effective, so maybe something else? Or maybe you should try doing what you actually want to do, rather than what you feel forced to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    The dropchance increases my motivation..
    Every week I'm like "THIS TIME! Now I will get my Sha-touched weapon."
    But no. I won't get it.
    Maybe next week? I'm 100% sure that I will get it now.
    Well I hope you do get it :-)
    I was also like this.... every time: This is my week! I'll get some upgrade, I don't care where... and then after 3 weeks getting that same bag of which I know the content started getting to me.
    You know, I that same amount of time I could get a lot more gold, if I did dalies. That goldbag doesn't feel rewarding anymore (if it ever did).

I am glad they are filling it with additional things, to make it more appealing.

Now, I see the queue times and think: is it worth it, all that waiting and probably I will get more gold bags.

Btw I am also glad they are bringing in Raid-rep.... behind which certain gear will be locked. I hope they will be the same as the drops in the actual raid, so we can fight the rng.
    It doesn't need to be quick.... but still a nice way to get that gear after weeks and weeks.

For now I just gave up and wait until 5.2 hits.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    I guess if you're losing motivation, change what motivates you.
    If we as human beings could do this.... the world would be a paradise!
    Personally I don't believe we can do this.

Sort of impacts me, but more so that it will take ages to gear, because of the valor setup. I just want to say screw it it's not worth it(for my alts as my main doesn't need or run LFR anymore)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

10+ Year Old Account
    Boss kill after boss kill and nothing but gold as reward, even using coins, is part of the reason why I don't do LFR anymore. Heck during Dragon Soul I won plenty of rolls over various characters.
    They've said they wanted to change things up a bit in 5.2 though. Perhaps they are adding companion pets with 0.1% drop rate to the gold bag you get.
    Surrounded by idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    If we as human beings could do this.... the world would be a paradise!
    Personally I don't believe we can do this.
    You'd be surprised what can happen with a bit of willpower and the simple passage of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Next time I will!

Why not? I have changed my 'reason to play WoW' a couple of times.
    Classic: I was a leveler, spending all my time in WoW on leveling.
    TBC: Hardcore raider. I spent 5 days a week raiding, clearing BT and SWP.
    WotLK: HC-raider > Doing random content and leveling > 3d/week raider.
    Cataclysm: Content-driven, I was there to get exalted with factions and complete all the story-line quests.
    MoP: Casual, I just try to do a bit of everything for as long as it entertains me.
    You can change your reasons to play or adjust what you do in game, but changing what is entertaining is a different story.....
    Seeing you're from Netehrlands: Honger maakt rauwe bonen zoet!

You keep going doing stuff because in the end you like your character and want to keep progressing it.. maybe, just maybe you are someone who doesn't want to give up wow.
    So, I agree when you say that you can change the way you play the game.. but the major part is: as long as it entertains me.
    This part you can't change.. something is entertaining to you or not.

I really like wow and for me the main-entertainment is to see my char progress in power.
    I don't have the time to commit to organized raiding, so lfr is as far as it goes.
    I am not making haste with my progression, as long as I know I am getting there.
    Valor cap is something I never achieved and I don't need to.

I upgraded all pieces of lfr gear I have on my toon and it took me a long long time. I don't care as long as I know I am working towards it and step by step getting there.
    Now the drops in lfr is something you can't take into consideration as it is completely rng and it is the only way of getting the tier-pieces.
    Going back every week, prepared with 3 coins to help the rng-gods... and seeing that %$#%$R%E-bag drop time after time. Well what can I say?

And yeah if I could get those pieces elsewhere, like in previous xpacs, than I would go in and afterwards think: I have 90 vp more now... just keep running, eventually I will be able to get that piece! But that path isn't there.

I agree with the OP. Seriously considering quitting after 4 years playing because everything has become such a grind to get gear to improve your character. My holy pally got -0- items from 5-mans after 24+ randoms. Then has gotten only 3 items in 70+ rolls in LFR. So if it weren't for crafted, BoE, and valor gear, my pally would have almost nothing.

After getting 1 item on 19 loot rolls last week (lfr + Sha + coins), my pally started out 0-8 this week. That's when i logged off and have not logged back in. I'm totally discouraged.

The reduced valor they instituted (less per 5-man random and limiting to once per day), the gating of valor gear behind rep, and the reduced chance for loot in LFR has me not wanting to play at all. I really don't have a main, but I have 6 level 90s. And for those of you who say to raid regulars/heroics - I do that. But not on a regular basis - again, too much of a grind. Spent 3+ years raiding 3-5 nights a week. So what I do now is fill-in when one of our 3 raid teams needs someone. I can tank, melee/range dps, or heal. I see my role as kind of a "6th man" off the bench. It's nice to be able to pop in and make sure the 9 other people can raid when 1 of their regular members has a RL emergency come up. But I can't do that when they've made it sooo much more difficult to gear up an alt.

I've tried re-evaluating how I play the game to see if there is some other aspect I might enjoy. Haven't found anything. So I might just not ever log in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    You'd be surprised what can happen with a bit of willpower and the simple passage of time.
    I don't have the opinion that what you're implying is the same as changing our motives.
    I think what you are saying is a compromise........ and that is something else.

Motivation doesn't originate from our consious part of the mind, it just appears and we act on it.
    Like "falling in love".. it happens to us, we can't control it. I think this goes here as wel.

If your are motivated by gearing your char to the max, then that is what drives you.
    If changes to this game make it impossible for you to do that but you can't leave the game, then you will compromise.

One great example and I found it really really hilarious:
    I am in a LFR group and we wipe for some stupid reason......

Player A: LFR = Looking for Retards
    Player B: And still it managed to find you. Interesting theory.

Quite funny imo.

One could ask what player A is doing in LFR if he really thinks it is for retards.
    He is not having fun... but I think he compromised with the system and is trying to get gear.
    Compromising is not the same as changing what entertains you.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeGrey View Post
    I agree with the OP. Seriously considering quitting after 4 years playing because everything has become such a grind to get gear to improve your character. My holy pally got -0- items from 5-mans after 24+ randoms. Then has gotten only 3 items in 70+ rolls in LFR. So if it weren't for crafted, BoE, and valor gear, my pally would have almost nothing.

After getting 1 item on 19 loot rolls last week (lfr + Sha + coins), my pally started out 0-8 this week. That's when i logged off and have not logged back in. I'm totally discouraged.

The reduced valor they instituted (less per 5-man random and limiting to once per day), the gating of valor gear behind rep, and the reduced chance for loot in LFR has me not wanting to play at all. I really don't have a main, but I have 6 level 90s. And for those of you who say to raid regulars/heroics - I do that. But not on a regular basis - again, too much of a grind. Spent 3+ years raiding 3-5 nights a week. So what I do now is fill-in when one of our 3 raid teams needs someone. I can tank, melee/range dps, or heal. I see my role as kind of a "6th man" off the bench. It's nice to be able to pop in and make sure the 9 other people can raid when 1 of their regular members has a RL emergency come up. But I can't do that when they've made it sooo much more difficult to gear up an alt.

I've tried re-evaluating how I play the game to see if there is some other aspect I might enjoy. Haven't found anything. So I might just not ever log in again.
    This is what I mean really. It is annoying and things add up.
    Well I tried planting things on my farm, freshly dinged 90... still in quest greens.
    Jezus Christ...... I really couldn't imagine 1 small rabbit costing me that much time.

I got better with hc gear and even easier with lfr gear.. but man!

Deleted
    LFR should not have boss locks, people should be able to farm them as much as they want.