Poll: Do you think this is a good change to Professions?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Just powered up Leatherworking to only 470 and cost me somewhere between 10-11k. AH ran out of savage leather though so I couldn't go any further for the day. Server isn't really low pop but my side, Alliance, is a little.

I don't mind it particularly (leveling a profession as it is now), it's sort of interesting to put together different mats and try and figure out the lowest cost route to maxing it, but something like this would probably make it cheaper. At the very least it would make there be no change in the cost of leveling. You can still level it the old fashioned way, just with something like this you have the option to use current-content materials to level if they just happen to be cheaper or more plentiful at the time. But I suspect there will at least be a slight reduction in the cost to level BS with this change.

I like the idea, but not the implementation.
    If I was in charge of this, I would do something that was a kind of server/account unlock that happened in a manner like this:
    Say that I have already maxed this profession at one of the previous maximum point levels (even 600), allowing the "Training Projects" to only get you to the maximum level you previously reached (ie, one of the 75 point ceilings). So, if my BS was at 375 and I dropped it in favor of something else, the Training Projects would only allow me to get to 375 before I'd have to resume leveling the good old fashioned way. This would require an extensive amount of data tracking, though, and I'm not sure that Blizzard currently tracks the information that would be required.

The only other change that I'd make is to make it so that you don't need any of the uncommon/rare mats to get to the next proficiency level. I can't remember if you actually need Khorium/Titanium/Pyrium to max out that particular tier of Blacksmithing, but the rare spawning of those nodes would make it frustrating when it's not the currecnt xpac cycle.

What I would also do is make it so that a player does need certain old world / old xpac mats for current recipes. I'd love it if I needed to collect copper/tin/whatever to make one of my current-tier recipes. Keep the players engaged in the old content!!
    Last edited by fooliuscaesar13; 2013-02-05 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling / grammar. sigh.

As a person who sells profession leveling kits, I am literally almost in tears from this. This is going to get rid of 90% of my gold making. brb going to kill myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fooliuscaesar13 View Post
    I like the idea, but not the implementation.
    If I was in charge of this, I would do something that was a kind of server/account unlock that happened in a manner like this:
    Say that I have already maxed this profession at one of the previous maximum point levels (even 600), allowing the "Training Projects" to only get you to the maximum level you previously reached (ie, one of the 75 point ceilings). So, if my BS was at 375 and I dropped it in favor of something else, the Training Projects would only allow me to get to 375 before I'd have to resume leveling the good old fashioned way. This would require an extensive amount of data tracking, though, and I'm not sure that Blizzard currently tracks the information that would be required.

The only other change that I'd make is to make it so that you don't need any of the uncommon/rare mats to get to the next proficiency level. I can't remember if you actually need Khorium/Titanium/Pyrium to max out that particular tier of Blacksmithing, but the rare spawning of those nodes would make it frustrating when it's not the currecnt xpac cycle.

What I would also do is make it so that a player does need certain old world / old xpac mats for current recipes. I'd love it if I needed to collect copper/tin/whatever to make one of my current-tier recipes. Keep the players engaged in the old content!!
    I see this as nothing more than a way to gain a few skill points when there are no old mats available on the AH or you do not have access to a miner. Due to cost of crafting the training projects anyone that ignores the old recipes and uses this method instead to level is going to spend considerably more than someone who uses the older recipes.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-02-05 at 06:32 PM.

Decent change... Nice to know if you grind Mining up you don't have to farm the extra or buy it to level BS alon with it. Would be nice if they took GW2's approach and saved your profession skill levels as you switched professions. In WoW's case I suppose profession specific items would just become unequipable until you switch back.

I find this odd, if this change transfers over to other profession, namely JC. What would this mean for mining, as you level it, you vendor everything? Or would mining not require leveling, just able to mine anything once learned?

Kind of makes all old recipes, and mats obsolete or redundant.

I hope this drives the price of ghost iron? (Thats the panda one right?) UP and not down.
    Last edited by iadamson; 2013-02-05 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    I find this odd, if this change transfers over to other profession, namely JC. What would this mean for mining, as you level it, you vendor everything? Or would mining not require leveling, just able to mine anything once learned?

If you look at the amount of Ghost Iron the training projects need I don't think it will harm the price of older mats, for example Ghost Iron Picks need 100 bars each for 5 skill levels this roughly 600-700g worth of bars. Whereas crafting 5 Cobalt Gauntlets would give the same number of skill levels but only take 25 bars of Cobalt which can either be sold on the AH, turned into enchant mats or even vendored for 7.95 gold opposed to the Picks that can only be vendored for 1g.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post

I hope this drives the price of ghost iron? (Thats the panda one right?) UP and not down.
    probably up for few weeks then go back to how it is now

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    ...I always lose interest and end up scrapping it for a proff that I enjoy levelling!
    I didn't know there were any profs to enjoy leveling

But really this is a good change. Profs are helpful but not interesting, just tedious, to level. Most people don't even level profs as they are "intended."

The idea that you level your prof as you level in equal measure, so you get perks from said profession, is uncommon nowadays. Generally players fall behind while leveling and wait till max level to power level their profs; or players get gathering profs as they level and drop those profs at max lvl then use/sell the items they gathered while leveling to power level the profs they really want.

WoW has never really had interesting or dynamic gameplay to profs, so any catch up / speed up way to level them is fine by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    You're full of shit honey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    You should have no expectations for the next expansion IMO...

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how I feel about this(though leaning toward negatively). It'll take away some of the tedium of leveling BS, sure, but what happens to those leveling through Pandaria once this goes into effect? Ghost Iron isn't too difficult to find now, but if everyone focused on it, I could imagine anyone mining without a flying mount in Pandaria being SOL. Also, I'm afraid the under-the-map-glitch miner types will attempt to exploit the heck out of such a change. Plus with all the extra people that would be in lower level Pandaria zones, I could see some CRZ zone crashes happening.

Just lower the amount of bars/leathers/cloth bolts used for a single item.

Sometimes the only thing that levels you is 12-14 leathers, 8-12 bars and 6-8 bolts of cloth. And since it's 5 cloth to a bolt, 2 ore to a bar, and often 1 kill to 1 leather it takes awhile to farm up the mats for a single item, of which you usually have to make 10 or so in a row of to get to the next threshold of crafted patterns which are easier to make due to requiring less mats or easier to get mats.

They should have done LW first though. Blacksmithing I never had much trouble with. 1 item might be 6 or 8 bars which I can get from 2 or 3 nodes, yet a LW item might be in excess of 10 or 12 leathers, than means I have to kill and skin 1 mob for each leather. And at lower levels you aren't always guaranteeds leathers, some times you get hides or partial leathers which you have to combine to make 1 leather.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

blacksmithing is proly the easiest profession to lvl up with if u pair it with mining. i can think of a 5 other professions that could have used this more.
    tailoring
    jewelcrafting
    enchanting
    leatherworking
    engineering

but i guess if they start revamping bsing maybe they can do the rest in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nayelar View Post
    maybe it's just me, but i think professions like leatherworking or enchanting are much more annoying than bs
    I'll have to agree with this, blacksmithing was probably the easiest profession for me to level besides jewelcrafting. Compared to leatherworking and enchanting, BS was a breeze!

I definitely think there are professions that need a revamp much more than BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    It's the best change that could happen for this. I hope all professions will receive this type of leveling.
    The problem with current profession leveling isn't the cost of mats, or farming old world for them.

The problem is that EVERYTHING YOU CRAFT IS FUCKING USELESS!!
    That's right! Who the hell buys level 26 weapon, necklace or armor piece? Who enchants their level 40 gear with low level enchants? Answer is nobody. We got heirlooms, more of them every expansion. Only things that are in LITTLE demand are best-in-slot heirloom enchants, and maybe level 19 twinker items. Demand on those is small, but they do sometimes sell.
    You end up vendoring everything you craft leveling a profession, or disenchanting at best.

So changing professions is really necessary. In Vanilla cap was 300, now it's double of that. If I want to lvl a profession now I need to go through Vanilla and all the expansions, vendoring everything. This has to end.

Only downside - changing professions to this type of leveling will pretty much crash the market of old mats and you won't be able to make any gold while questing.
    This is a cause and effect issue. People bitched and whined about how hard and long leveling took. So Blizzard changed it for them. This changed how profession made gear worked a lot. In Vanilla, I leveled mining/BS along with my character level. I used stuff I made quite often. Since you can just get heirlooms and blues drop like rain, of course the gear you make won't ve able to compare.

But really, who cares? People will sometimes buy it. You can save it to level enchanting, the DE's are great. This 5.2 change won't fix your complaints. Not a single one of them. Now you can just sit in SW/Org, make your Woks/Bowls/Lanterns and then vendor those. How is this a good change?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is an excellent idea. Because the progression in WoW have changed by huge margin, it's only fitting that the rest (aka professions) should follow along with it.

I like this idea AND that its limited to (Nearly) max level. Means you CAN gather the stuff to level a prof as you level your toon, but if you fall behind, you don't have to spend ages grinding mats in empty zones, or dump tons of cash on the wares of farm bots on the AH.

Grinding old mats to level a prof isn't fun, its a time sink. Hurrah for its removal!
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Deleted
    I dont mind the mats cost of leveling proffessions, i do mind 5-10 sec crafting time on items, or it taking 8 min to make bolts o.o

Quote Originally Posted by Fagatronics View Post
    I didn't know there were any profs to enjoy leveling
    Oh I quite enjoy levelling JC'ing using the little healie statues throughout and being able to amke rings and necks as I go, I also enjoy tailoring, crafting gear for my toon as shes levelling alongside it, same with enchanting, i like to farm the recipes like firey weapon/icy chill/life steal etc as I'm going. But the levelling rate compared now compared to how it was back in vanilla/TBC is so sped up its hard to keep that fluidity going betwen levelling xp and levelling skill ups

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    I dont mind the mats cost of leveling proffessions, i do mind 5-10 sec crafting time on items, or it taking 8 min to make bolts o.o
    Another good point, I like the cooking hat, that speeds up your cooking time, maybe putting in an item you can craft for each profession that reduces crafting times?