Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Any other Blood DK's having issues with threat?

Switching from Brewmaster to Blood DK, I have noticed the huge difference in threat generation between the two tanks.

Currently, my DK is hit capped, but not expertise capped. I'm looking to push the expertise cap as close as I can without sacrificing too much mastery, but from tests I've done, I don't think that will even help.

Do we really require the raid to give us an extra 2 to 3 seconds more than any other tank? Or is there something I'm missing?

My general rotation for starting out is:

Army, Death strike,(enough RP to outbreak), heart strike, heart strike, death strike, rune strike to dump, ERW, and start all over again...or something along those lines, depending on RNG, situation, etc.

Should my focus be towards rune striking as much as possible since it's guaranteed to hit from being hit capped? Or is this something that all Blood DK's are experiencing at the moment?

I'm not asking to have an aggro magnet move like Keg Smash, but not having to worry about dps pulling off me and getting eaten would be nice.

Hell, it's disheartening when my co tank pulls off me without even trying.
    Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.

I wouldn't worry too much. Monks are in their own league entirely on threat, especially on the pull. I swapped to a Warrior to help with class buffs/diversity and I noticed the same. When I was on my monk, our MT a pally, would pull, then I would INSTANTLY take every mob he had, plus mine.

Don't worry about it.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

Deleted
    if you're very low on hit/exp it can be noticeable... RNG also likes to %&#$ me in worst possible moments.
    Still since it didn't make me get more exp/hit, i don't really complain.

But monks are kings in threat atm...

10+ Year Old Account
    I was having this problem on Elegon as DPS would want to blow CD's to push phase as quickly as possible, simple rotation change to Proc DRW as quickly as possible with a pally's threat reduction hand on our fury warrior. As far as AoE mobs and packs diseases blood boil and well if DPS wants to mass AoE and not focus my target then good luck
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

I have absolutely no issue with threat on my DK. but its been my main for as long as it has been a class.

One trick is pop army of the dead off the pull, glyph Dancing Rune Weapon and use that to get a DRW out asap

with Army+Horn on pull it takes 1 Death Strike to get DRW up making threat a joke after that

Deleted
    and why glyph of outbreak? I've seen no reason for it yet... you could be using runic power on Rune Strike instead of outbreak...
    for fight i might need outbreak on less that 1 minute i prefer to use Unholy blight in place of Roiling Blood to give me another source for debuffs

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 06:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zili View Post
    I have absolutely no issue with threat on my DK. but its been my main for as long as it has been a class.

One trick is pop army of the dead off the pull, glyph Dancing Rune Weapon and use that to get a DRW out asap

with Army+Horn on pull it takes 1 Death Strike to get DRW up making threat a joke after that
    Really? that's smart... let's waste 1 of our defensive cds before a fight...
    Last edited by mmocf9f29600a1; 2013-02-04 at 06:56 PM.

I have zero issues with threat, and I've had it as my main, as a tank, since unholy had perma shieldwall in naxx through now. If RNG decides to hate me, I can taunt, but honestly get MDs from your hunters/rogues on the pull if your threat is that bad. Also, if you are VASTLY outclassed by your dps on weapons/gear scaling that might be an issue, and would in such case be worth picked up the next 2H your raid gets as a drop.

I've only glyphed for DRW, and it was for a joke against a tank who was taunt spamming in LFR, let him pop his taunt the DRW to rip threat back only to have him dry again while it's still up, good times.

My armory to compare or whatever:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ndare/advanced

incase you're uninterested in my armory: Hit and expertise aren't capped, and outside of my weapon, no dps stats to speak of.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've always hated the 1 min cooldown on Outbreak. I just like having the option to pop it when needed and not having to wait.

I can try playing around with DRW glyphed, though losing more damage isn't very appealing.

Thanks for the affirmation. I wanted to see if there was some magic solution I could do or if I'm just destined to put out subpar aggro, compared to my bear counterpart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nctank View Post
    and why glyph of outbreak? I've seen no reason for it yet... you could be using runic power on Rune Strike instead of outbreak...
    for fight i might need outbreak on less that 1 minute i prefer to use Unholy blight in place of Roiling Blood to give me another source for debuffs

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 06:54 PM ----------

Really? that's smart... let's waste 1 of our defensive cds before a fight...
    It isn't as if we don't have like 6 others. Besides, it's only on a 1.5 minute CD.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since I left my Brewmaster and started playing my DK, I have had to catch up in terms of gear. I'm sitting at an ilvl now of 492 while the dps are in the 496 range. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference, but I could be wrong. I do know that it has been a little bit better since I went from the LFR 2h Axe to the Normal mode 2h Axe.

Maybe it is indeed, gear discrepancy.

never had threat issues whatsoever

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    It isn't as if we don't have like 6 others. Besides, it's only on a 1.5 minute CD.
    army of dead is on 10 mins cd... and just because we have "many" cds doesn't mean we should pop them before the fight start to get meaningless threat...

Other than being completely outgeared by your dps as someone else has mentioned i dont understand how your threat would be so low.

I have the opposite problem, i have to stop attacking when the other tank taunts or i pull agro again almost instantly. Im near hit/exp capped but not quite on either. Ive always had this prob as dk tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nctank View Post
    army of dead is on 10 mins cd... and just because we have "many" cds doesn't mean we should pop them before the fight start...
    It automatically comes off cooldown when you kill the boss, as does every cooldown we have that is 5 minutes or longer.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Deleted
    To add to the rest of the posters, I have dps pushing 240k burst in my raid and on a pull I generally struggle for 2-3 seconds before vengeance builds and I tear ahead (without using any cd's other than BF racial).

I usually open with BF and outbreak followed by a DS (try to wait until after the first boss hit if I can with that)

As for the CD argument, army of timmy is one of the 2 straight up DR CD's we have and therefore (in my book) very important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    It automatically comes off cooldown when you kill the boss, as does every cooldown we have that is 5 minutes or longer.
    do you have reading issues?

what part of him advising to "use it before pull" and I saying that "is a wasted CD" is hard to grasp... Why would i care if it resets "after the boss is dead"... We need defensive cooldowns during fights not after or before...

Hm I have no issues in the slightest. Hit is only 2.5% and Exp 3%, which is residual stats from reforging.
    "Peace is a lie"

Don't use Army on the pull. Either you're going into the fight without all your runes up (possibly resulting in initial threat problems, as you're seeing) or you're wasting their uptime while you delay the pull waiting for your runes to recharge. In both cases you're going in with zero vengeance AP, reducing their damage.

In most cases Army is best used either to contribute damage during a burn phase or as a defensive timer to mitigate unavoidable damage.

Deleted
    Try playing a Prot Warrior together with a Brewmaster on AoE packs. It's pretty funny for the wrong reasons.
    That said i agree it's difficult even as a blood DK even though blood is ten times more powerful than a warrior on those situations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragethorn View Post
    Switching from Brewmaster to Blood DK, I have noticed the huge difference in threat generation between the two tanks.

Currently, my DK is hit capped, but not expertise capped. I'm looking to push the expertise cap as close as I can without sacrificing too much mastery, but from tests I've done, I don't think that will even help.

Do we really require the raid to give us an extra 2 to 3 seconds more than any other tank? Or is there something I'm missing?

My general rotation for starting out is:

Army, Death strike,(enough RP to outbreak), heart strike, heart strike, death strike, rune strike to dump, ERW, and start all over again...or something along those lines, depending on RNG, situation, etc.

Should my focus be towards rune striking as much as possible since it's guaranteed to hit from being hit capped? Or is this something that all Blood DK's are experiencing at the moment?

I'm not asking to have an aggro magnet move like Keg Smash, but not having to worry about dps pulling off me and getting eaten would be nice.

Hell, it's disheartening when my co tank pulls off me without even trying.
    OP, As I said... don't use glyph of outbreak... it just sucks... its a waste of RP
    Don't waste army, use it when you need a cd... you don't get any benefit from using it before the fight... (A dps might, not you)

If you need RP, horn of winter will give you that, pop before fight and spam it on CD

Your best "aggro" move is rune strike, so use it more often... use it sooner... no point in using heart strike before rune strike if you have aggro problems... 1 rune strike will get you way ahead on threat...

heart strike is the 7th in you "rotation", on mine is usually second...

I always HoW before pull, then pull with outbreak for debuffs... then usually DS and runestrike right after...

As I was saying the only issue I ever had with aggro, was when had a bad RNG and missed 2-3 abilities on a row... like during a tauntswich where my other tank m8, usually a monk or pala got it back... Its rare, annoying but can be easily solved by taunting or DG again... we have 2 taunts for something... Never had any real issues at pull...
    In any case is very minimal and it never stressed me enough to get more hit/exp.

tbh Dks are quite fine on threat, both single target and packs!
    Last edited by mmocf9f29600a1; 2013-02-04 at 07:46 PM.