Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by -Clay- View Post
    From the link above. Though, that's pretty much bull, aren't there any rules regarding obviously dangerous peoples custody? Like, having experts evaluate them before they get a chance to get out? I mean, knowing they let him run once it'd be very unwise to release him again, cause it'd be very likely something terrible will happen again.
    i'll comment this for all to see: first off, advice is asked from the director of the prison, the government and another court. then, 5 judges need to make an unanimous decision to release him. he also needs to create an elaborate rehabilitation plan, including work, housing, no chance at recidivism.

long story short: for now, he doesn't stand a chance.

He should've been castrated and then put into a torture cell for 15 years. After that only switch to usual cell areas. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by -Clay- View Post
    From the link above. Though, that's pretty much bull, aren't there any rules regarding obviously dangerous peoples custody? Like, having experts evaluate them before they get a chance to get out? I mean, knowing they let him run once it'd be very unwise to release him again, cause it'd be very likely something terrible will happen again.
    Yes, they judge it, he ain't getting out, no way, not unless he outlives every generation that knows his name.

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/marc-dutrou...192457848.html

This is a major issue at this moment in Belgium. Marc Dutroux is one of the biggest criminals in recent Belgian history. He abducted, abused and tortured 6 children between 1995 and 1996 and murdered 4 of them, and had 5 more earlier abductions and rapes on his record. he is currently serving a life sentence in a highsec prison, and has to be available to the government for another 10 years (dutch term is "zich ter beschikking stellen").

the problem is that this "monster of Charleroi", as the media calls him, has asked for early release and monitoring through an electronic ankle bracelet, after only 16 years imprisonment. every single doctor who has examined him calls this man a "core psychopath", someone who had extreme risk of relapse into his old habits and has no remorse, no feelings and no compassion.

You can probably understand that this is a giant shitstorm here in Belgium. I mean, the government has actually reformed the justice system because of him back in 1992, when he got released after 3 years of a 13 year imprisonment for the 5 abductions and rapes. they're working on a second reform because his wife was released on probation last year through the same law that was reformed for Dutroux. this man managed to escape during his first trial, which caused the Belgian secretary of justice to resign from his post. Dutroux is actually using the same law he caused the reform of in his request to be released.

so what's your opinion on this? I doubt anyone here would actually advocate releasing him. hell, even his lawyers think he should stay in jail.
    He should of claimed insanity at his trial and prob would of gotten away with it

Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    I dont understand how he can just "request" to be let free? what would be the point of a sentence if people could just ask to leave?

Surely there is something more to this.
    Don't know the specifics in that case but here in germany you can request parole after you have served 2/3 or so of your sentence. Depending on how you behaved in jail, on your remorse and on predictions on whether you are rehabilitated it might be granted or denied. No big deal really.

I don't think anyone actually believes this guy will get his release. Still it's his right to ask for it and the justice system has to check it. Due process and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    He should've been castrated and then put into a torture cell for 15 years. After that only switch to usual cell areas. Nothing more.
    Serves no practical purpose, helps noone, and so is cruel for no reason.

Is there really so little going on in Belgium that this is seen as some sort of huge thing to talk about?

A psychopath wants to be free.
    Government responds with "No".
    Where's the issue?

Ah, kneejerk emotional responses. I'm rightfully afraid of people who have them so readily.

10+ Year Old Account
    His name's quite fitting: In french, Dutroux is pronounced the same as "du trou", litterally translated to "from the hole", but can be figuratively translated to "from the pits".
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    Serves no practical purpose
    Reduces his capability and will to rape, reduces testosterone levels which is also linked to aggression.

helps noone
    I disagree based on earliel

and so is cruel for no reason.
    Serves him right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beenie View Post
    I have to say that I don't know the first thing about the Belgium justice system, but this seems way more complicated than it should be. If he is "requesting" release, why can't it just be denied without any fuss?
    Which is exactly what's going to happen. Doesn't mean people don't get outraged at his arrogance. They can't deny him the trial for early release he requested, so they have no choice but to go on with it anyway. This is only fairly recent after his wife has, in fact, been released. With the commotion that this caused, I'm kinda surprised there's been no attempt on her life (that we're aware of).

As far as I've just read, he still hopes he will come free one day. That's really unlikely, though.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 12:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Minky View Post
    Is there really so little going on in Belgium that this is seen as some sort of huge thing to talk about?

A psychopath wants to be free.
    Government responds with "No".
    Where's the issue?
    One of the biggest criminal cases of all time in Belgium and you want people to be dispassionate about his request for freedom?

I personally would say that he should be forced to serve the rest of his sentence and his existence should be the embodiment of misery but...

I don't think my opinion is very valid since my views have been partially shaped by a country who's re-offending rates are quite high and where a lot of criminals are not truly re-engaged with society, especially compared to that of Scandinavian countries.

So heart says no but brain tells me to not be so closed minded.

Reduces his capability and will to rape, reduces testosterone levels which is also linked to aggression.
    ..that doesn't exactly explain the torture chamber you slipped in there, besides, he ain't going to rape anyone anymore, trust me, he's the most hated person in our country by a landslide, and for good reason.

Don't become a monster while fighting monsters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let him out.

But snip him first, and brand him with the word PEDO on his forehead.

Pedophiles should be put on a spaceship and launched to the Sun.
    Putin khuliyo

..that doesn't exactly explain the torture chamber you slipped in there
    That's what he deserves.

besides, he ain't going to rape anyone anymore, trust me, he's the most hated person in our country by a landslide, and for good reason.
    Being hated doesn't make you incapable of torture and rape.

Don't become a monster while fighting monsters.
    No, I just adjust the punishment to be in line with the crime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    I dont understand how he can just "request" to be let free? what would be the point of a sentence if people could just ask to leave?

Surely there is something more to this.
    Serving a portion of the sentence and good behaviour.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Serves no practical purpose, helps noone, and so is cruel for no reason.
    I have no sympathy for monsters who get their kicks off of molesting children.
    Putin khuliyo

Approval of punishment like this make us no better than those convicted of heinous crime. I'd rather maintain my dignity and respect basic human rights in monsters than lose any semblance of my dignity punishing the undignified.

Quote Originally Posted by Beenie View Post
    Approval of punishment like this make us no better than those convicted of heinous crime. I'd rather maintain my dignity and respect basic human rights in monsters than lose any semblance of my dignity punishing the undignified.
    My belief in human rights is not based on black and white. There's a point when you lose the priviledge of it.

shot him in the head and let it be done.. wild west ftw

10+ Year Old Account
    They shouldve just executed him, then they wouldnt have to deal with this. Scum like this doesnt deserve to live, or if he IS allowed to live, it should be in a solid concrete room with no light, and loud music blaring 24 hours a day forever!. What ever happened to an eye for an eye.