Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Quick question. Never played a Witcher game. Witcher 2 is on sale on steam atm (enhanced edition) and I'm thinking of picking it up. A friend told me it's a bitch to run - how hard is it for an average computer (not designed for gaming but which runs most games fairly comfortably) to run? Also, simply put, how good is it? What kind of game is it, and what would make me like or dislike it? Thanks!
    That's going to depend largely on your tolerance for FPS and your screen resolution. If you can't handle FPS below 60, then you won't enjoy this game unless you've got a setup with a great CPU/GPU from at least 2010. Also, if your screen resolution is 1080p it's going to be tough getting good frame rates unless you've got a pretty powerful GPU. Some perspective:

I have a good laptop from 2010 with an upper-mid-range GPU and high-range CPU at the time for laptops. I was able to play the game at 1680x1020 with bearable frame rates, but there were some times where I had to turn it down because my FPS would drop so low I wouldn't be able to avoid certain things that killed my character.

That being said, even most stuff on lower/medium settings looks absolutely fucking gorgeous. This game's lower settings still trumps most modern games' higher settings.

Well, my computer can play, say, Dishonored, at medium settings very well with no lag, and that looked beautiful. Games like RIFT I could play at medium settings, Deus Ex Human Revolution I played on pretty decent settings, etc.

Think that can run it?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by -nevan View Post
    If you turn off ssao and vsync it's actually pretty optimized considering how good the graphics are. There are games that look so much worse and still eat fps for some stupid reason.
    True enough. I have a bad tendency to overestimate my system's capabilities at times!

Well, my computer can play, say, Dishonored, at medium settings very well with no lag, and that looked beautiful. Games like RIFT I could play at medium settings, Deus Ex Human Revolution I played on pretty decent settings, etc.

Think that can run it?
    I think you could get away with medium-to-low settings, but you won't be above 60 fps at all times. If you're fine with some FPS drops, and perhaps having to adjust settings for particularly graphically intense scenes then I think you should be fine. The RedEngine settings has a ton of customization options. It may not be a bad idea to google them to figure out what could be best turned on/off.

Texture resolution looks like it was played on my laptop, heh. That aside, it looks pretty amazing. They seem to have lighting down.

Deleted
    It looks more like skyrim mod. (crossed fingers)

Most of those screens look great, but some of the ones (second to last especially) that show far distances make me wonder exactly how they're going to be setting up this 'open world.' Though, super-early looks and all that.

Looks like a lota viking-ish looking stuff in the shots as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheres his beard? Thought he was going to have a beard now.

Deleted
    There was a viking-like county. Cintra where Ciri was born. Now it's under Nilfgaard reign. It's going to be funny game IMO.

And Geralt have some customization options now so probably you could make him a beard.
    Last edited by mmocf606b2b85d; 2013-02-07 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dzikitukan View Post
    There was a viking-like county. Cintra where Ciri was born. Now it's under Nilfgaard reign. It's going to be funny game IMO.

And Geralt have some customization options now so probably you could make him a beard.
    What if the viking-inspired people of Cintra try to rise up to throw off the shackles off rule of the Nilfgaard empire and a civil war starts? Wait...this sounds familiar.

Deleted
    It would be like Polish vs German fight during WW2. They would be destroyed in six days. Sapkowski world is brutal and really similar to our. There was 2 continental wide wars and each time Cintra was destroyed. Nilfgaard loses two times and... is the biggest economical and military empire in continent. Seems similar? ^^

I still haven't finished the second one. I've tried several times but I just can't get into it. It feels terribly paced.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Those screenshots look far too much like Skyrim to me. Just seems a lot like Skyrim 2.0.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -nevan View Post
    If you turn off ssao and vsync it's actually pretty optimized considering how good the graphics are. There are games that look so much worse and still eat fps for some stupid reason.
    Many games (especially console ports) aren't optimized for certain computer layouts. Its also important to keep all the drivers updated for this reason.

Thankfully, CD Projekt RED doesn't take short cuts. The PC version at higher settings will probably become a benchmark game for years to come (I'm assuming the Next Gen Console versions are going to run at the equivalent of a Medium Setting like TW2 did).

While I have high hopes for this game, I sincerely hope that they can keep the amazing (from what I've heard, I've still got to play the damned games that I own...) story. As a couple of people have already pointed out, too many games that are open-world lose their tight story. I still have little doubt that they can pull it off.

Witcher 3 and CyberPunk 2077, I'm starting to really love this company.

Those screenshots look far too much like Skyrim to me. Just seems a lot like Skyrim 2.0.
    Maybe Skyrim looks like Nilfgaard?

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    Maybe Skyrim looks like Nilfgaard?
    Ehm, no.

I'm sure in the lore of this world the setting is consistent with the established world, but Skyrim came first, so if this game is released and ends up looking almost identical, then it will be this looks like Skyrim, not vice versa.

Not saying it's bad, but if it's going to be an open world, non linear adventuring RPG, seems like the setting is a little overdone atm. Or if not overdone, then there are other settings which could use the attention more.

Deleted
    http://gamingeverything.com/39177/wi...game-informer/

Found this. could be in the thread too as I didn't read all. If it is, sorry. If it's not, enjoy