Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Return the 8 piece set bonus?

Lately I've seen a lot of issues on the forums with the coming tier set bonuses being too weak. There have been some comments about choosing whether to use your set bonuses or just using other pieces for itemization purposes.

I, personally, miss the 8 piece sets in PvE. I always thought they were fun. If they're having problems with set bonuses being too weak, then 8 pieces would only make having the set stronger, really. I understand that this would not always be the case, and that in some situations players would likely choose to disregard the final set bonus, but I still think it would be fun.

Does anyone else miss those 8 piece tiers!?!?

I'd like to see them return. Having to choose between getting the 6-set bonus or getting the stat increase from an off-set would be great!

Hardly anyone would ever complete the full 8-set, it would be pretty much pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my 25m guild I still only have 2pc and we've been raiding since raids were released. 8pc would never work unless you fed the same people gear.

My guild has enough trouble getting conq tokens to drop already. I don't want to double the amount of time it takes to get a full set.

Yup, like anyone in a 10man raid would ever get that.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Yup, like anyone in a 10man raid would ever get that.
    I raid in a 10 Man Team, and I would enjoy the idea that having a full set is a rare, and powerful upgrade but difficult to obtain.

If you're having problems getting tokens in 25 mans at this point, I think there's an issue at the guild level. I play a paladin and have 4 sets for all specs for normal mode, and 2 heroic tier for ret.

I don't think completing the 8 set would be an immediate thing... it's meant to take time to achieve the bonuses they give.

You didn't get cloud serpent riding in half an hour. You either spent weeks farming quests, or hours farming eggs. Same idea... time spent = bonuses given.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back in the day when content came out slower, I think this might not have been such a problem. Now a days it seems like there is such a rush to go "faster, faster, faster!" no one would have the patience to get it.

From what I recall, at the end of the expansions ICC and DS came out a year before the next expansion, that might be a great time for something like this. It would give players plenty of time to get the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhriel View Post
    From what I recall, at the end of the expansions ICC and DS came out a year before the next expansion, that might be a great time for something like this. It would give players plenty of time to get the goods.

/agree

I just thought the idea was fun. Something to work towards.

It would remove to much customization with items, everything would just be tier pieces.

One of the problems is that it's difficult to make a tier bonus that isn't to overpowered that lucky drops give you to much of an advantage, and it can't be to weak that you would rather use pieces with better stats on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I raid in a 10 Man Team, and I would enjoy the idea that having a full set is a rare, and powerful upgrade but difficult to obtain.
    Difficult to obtain? Say hello to motherfucking RnG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    yes, rng makes things difficult.
    and rare? on average, 25mans will have these sets months before everyone else.

I think the removal of gems, enchants, and reforging is pushing a hyperbole, however; I do agree with your general premise that it's counter intuitive to the design they currently use. Back in Naxx 40 there was a ring to offset the pieces.

One point people have to consider is that you'd have your 2-6 piece faster as non-tier pieces would be tier pieces again, for example boots, bracers and belt. By doing this, all of the non-tier pieces you've gotten would be tier as well. I like the idea, but i don't see it happening. they moved away from the system for a reason. Personally, i think that they should add rings or cloaks back to tier from the sinestra level boss. They need not add any set bonus or anything, just give the opportunity to pick up your set bonus from elsewhere and get the better itemized offset pieces. Also i do think they should have more off-set pieces because as it stands it ends up being obvious what to pick. i think it would be interesting to choose set bonus with worse itemization vs non-set with better itemization (with set bonus's being slightly stronger to incentivize the tier). This makes the gap between say having the dk tier 14 2-piece and having the off-set items.

The problem with 8-piece set bonuses is that it removes any choice in how you gear your character, at least if the set bonus is at all worth it. That's why they dropped them in the first place after T3. Blizzard wants MORE gear choice diversity, not less. So, even IF Blizzard brought them back, one of two things would happen. Either the set bonuses would be so weak that nobody will particularly care that they are there, or if the set bonuses are good the items themselves would have fairly terrible stats to make non-set gear a potential option even in the face of such a good bonus.

That is not even getting into the difficulty of acquiring that many set pieces in the first place, which many above me have brought up.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    The problem with 8-piece set bonuses is that it removes any choice in how you gear your character, at least if the set bonus is at all worth it. That's why they dropped them in the first place after T3. Blizzard wants MORE gear choice diversity, not less. So, even IF Blizzard brought them back, one of two things would happen. Either the set bonuses would be so weak that nobody will particularly care that they are there, or if the set bonuses are good the items themselves would have fairly terrible stats to make non-set gear a potential option even in the face of such a good bonus.

That is not even getting into the difficulty of acquiring that many set pieces in the first place, which many above me have brought up.
    This.

People now are absolutely obsessed with min/maxing.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    I'd like it tbh. Thing is, set bonuses require cretive heads and with 8-sets there are suddenly even more bonuses to create, making them mostly boring and probably too homogenized.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Hardly anyone would ever complete the full 8-set, it would be pretty much pointless.
    I'm not sure how you can speak for anyone besides yourself. How do you know what any one else would do?

Personally, it would be nice to have some full suit tier set to go after, and the set bonuses, if good, would just be icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post

I agree.

However, there might be something to be said for implementing some other "interesting" set bonuses in the end tier of the expansion, since it usually lasts longer than other raids, allowing people more time to get the set. If this were to ever be implemented, that's how I'd like to see it.

Alternately, bringing back things like set bonuses for a specific pair of rings or something could be cool.