Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    hence why i said 5 million

You can donate money to kickstarter projects, so if it's a 5mil budget it will only increase, also it's a pvp focused game with no pve, so they dont need a huge budget.
    Do you hear the voices too?

15+ Year Old Account
    I love PvP and find PvE as a secondary object in MMO's, however no PvE = No Open World?

Sounds like a lobby game where you wait for BGs

Sorry, warhammer online ensured any faith I had in Jacobs is gone forever.

5 million isn't a lot of money for crowd funding when dealing with someone who has an established audience. If Joe Nobody off the street wanted to do a kickstarter for $5 million, good luck, but this guy already has publicity through Joystiq and a following from his reputation behind DOAC.

I never even played DOAC, I was involved with EQ at the time, but just because I like supporting game devs I'll probably throw $5-$10 at him.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Warhammer online have the best pvp in a mmo atm, very good but pretty dead now but there is action going on in all pvp tiers. And yeah it had a very bad launch but they where puched by ea to release before Wrath of the Litch King was released so it was very bad back then, hugely improved now though.

Deleted
    as long as they do not make the same mistakes they did at the launch of WAR... the launch of WAR make the Diablo III launch seems like an example of goddamn perfection
    Last edited by mmoc89084f456c; 2013-02-06 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    and that is the bottom line. He can be as politically correct as possible in these interviews, but the fact that he is scavenging for funds after what he represented in the mmo industry says a lot about what people think of him after war.

they're aiming for a niche market though, meaning 50k - 100k subscribers or something like that.

budget could work for that, still the game is very far away and i wouldnt be so sure if it will be developed at all

For all of those thinking that 10mil + kickstarter won't be enough, please read:

10mil + kickstarter is enough for them tbh. Why? Take a look:

- 5mil for launch -> server costs will be probably at 90% of that, the rest will go for ads over the internet (like MechWarrior or WoT has) also some traveling and additional costs to advertise the game on fairs.

- 5mil for the rest, which is enough, because:
    -- they are only focusing on PvP/RvR, creating an PvE enviroment with leveling content like: quests, mob spawns, localization, map, speeches, loot system and progress, dungeons, raids etc normally takes alot of the developing time, throwing away PvE makes the process of game creation much much faster.
    -- they have their own IP, no license costs
    -- they have their own artists and art style, their art is well awaited by the future players, no need to hire more talents, which usually is expensive
    -- they have 13 devs now, according to well known data, typical game dev will take from 3k $ to 8k $ per month, let's make it 5k $, it ends with 13x5 so like 65k $/month + taxes. Over the 4 years they may spend 3 mil $ for themselves + taxes, we know, that they will do it in 2 years, they wanna closed beta as soon as possible, I am guessing this year.
    -- they can spend maybe 100k on software and hardware, the biggest cost will be the engine, we dunno which one they have bought but normal price is like +100k to 1mil, hopefully they will pick the best possible engine for RvR game (I dunno which one could be the best option).
    -- cost of renting an office for 13 ppl is funnily low vs 5mil, so lets skip this part

Budget is tight and needs that Kickstarter to make it all fluid and not stressful. Kickstarter money will only help them to eventually hire more good programmers to make the game more polished.

Considering 30k subs, let's say 14$/month will give them 420k $/month 5mil $/year...considering they will constantly work on this project, Marc Jacobs and founders will earn nice cash More subs = they are rich. Wish I could be an investor and founder of such a project. Those 10mil $ should return to them in 2,5 years, the only problem is, how long this game will last. I am guessing that first month will bring much more than 30k subs.

UPDATE: new devblog post:
    "The next devblog post is now live. How is the world and lore of #CamelotUnchained different from #DAoC? One word...
    http://citystateentertainment.com/20...-you-wish-for/"
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-02-06 at 05:50 PM.

Also it's widely known that DaoC is the best pvp mmo ever made, so they already have ALOT off people that will play it, there is tons off pvp'ers in wow that started with DaoC and will most likely move to this when released.

True, those future players may be 10 years older, but hopes stay the same, gaming habits stay the same with approporiate product crafted to fit their needs. Also, many new interested players appeared. you can see it on MechWarrior Online, which is growing and is being played
    New devblog has some important, also great, info:
    If the idea of a Tri-Realm™, RvR-focused game where there is no PvE grinding, no gear grinding, no “instanced-based PvP/RvR” but with a entirely player-owned and crafted economy and where your choices matter, all set within a truly open and persistent world appeals to you, then I hope I’ve piqued your curiosity. And most importantly, if the words “server pride” and “realm pride” hold a special place in your heart; then I welcome you to my vision, our world and one day, with your help, a place where you are not merely reliving the legends of Camelot, Vikings and the Tuatha Dé Danann but forging them yourselves.

I do like the sound off all that

Deleted
    daoc was the first mmo i played, and it still holds a special place in my heart. it was what made me interested in mmo in the first place, so a new game by the person behind daoc is to me a good start. I played Warhammer online at the release, and it was a good game imo, however, i stopped playing duo to lowpop server, and the fact that all my RL friends stopped (also duo to lowpop server) - it was a shame, but that how it goes.

Lets see how this new project goes i hope for the best

10+ Year Old Account
    Be Careful What You Wish For Dev Blog
    http://citystateentertainment.com/camelotunchained/

Oh my goodness, DAoC was my first MMO, looking forward to hearing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    I love PvP and find PvE as a secondary object in MMO's, however no PvE = No Open World?

The entire game is open world. He's stated in several interviews now that there will be ZERO instances. That is a major turn on for me.

No instanced PvP. And the PvP actually matters, territory control, character progression entirely through PvP... and I'm guessing you'll even be able to invade the enemies homelands and take stuff over.
    Last edited by Worgoblin; 2013-02-06 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post

It is an open world, so no lobby. It will have one huge map with 3 castles and many keeps, objectives etc in between, just like GW2 has. No instances, even cities will not be instanced, you can stay there and craft/trade/chat/change a gear or sti down or just cross the gate and immediatelly fight with others, check for available spaces in warbands (like 30 players each of them), check the map where is the action and go there (probably we will have kind of transport like flight masters in WoW and WAR) + mounts. 3 realms fighting each other will mean many conflicts across the map, there will probably be 2-3 minimum "task forces" from each side, fighting for different parts of the map, because one huge zerg can be outmaneuvered. There will be some penalty for using "fast transport" so there won't be any problem with that.

Once you feel it, once you feel real siege, once you feel two trains of tanks on the front, strucking with each other to begin the fight between 100vs100 with stealthies runnig as fast as possible at enemy's healers, once you feel being outmaneuvered or having an tactic advance thanks to outmaneuvering the enemy, this all with real crafting and gear (statwise too) progression AND reutation system (legendary RvR leaders, legendary RvR fighters etc) you will love it to the death. It feels like being a part of the most epic fantasy medieval battlefield. Tear in my left eye Q_O, I can't wait! You can't experience that in GW2's RvR which is broken and no glory/gear prgoress there, also GW2's combat mechanics and whole system made it "the one with more dmg wins, end of the story" which is sad. The only real RvR was in DAoC and WAR. Nowhere else. WAR hadn't much CC but there was collision detection, which automatically makes "the one with more warriors wins" neglected.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-02-07 at 12:05 AM.

I really don't see what makes people nostalgic about DAoC and I say that as a person whose first MMO it was for years. It had extremely poorly balanced PvP that completely relied on running buffbots, the only way to really level was through a massive grind(I don't think people these days even know what a grind means), getting the ToA items relied on massive zerg raids for open world targets and/or camping extremely rare spawns, PvE fighting was for some classes was basically auto-attacking, etc. I liked it at the time because I didn't know of anything better but seriously that game was just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cakka View Post
    I really don't see what makes people nostalgic about DAoC and I say that as a person whose first MMO it was for years. It had extremely poorly balanced PvP that completely relied on running buffbots, the only way to really level was through a massive grind(I don't think people these days even know what a grind means), getting the ToA items relied on massive zerg raids for open world targets and/or camping extremely rare spawns, PvE fighting was for some classes was basically auto-attacking, etc. I liked it at the time because I didn't know of anything better but seriously that game was just bad.
    Well those PvE issues you mentioned won't be a problem, because Camelot Unchained is entirely RvR. I don't feel the PvP was that poorly balanced, especially considering that it had 30+ unique classes. Buffbots, yes that was a problem, I agree. Thankfully Mark Jacobs is aware of that mistake and I don't think we have to worry about buffbots in his new game.