Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I must say I just read all the blog posts and they do touch on many interesting issues I've taken to heart over the years.

It's ambitious but I he is really on to something. Modern MMOs have become too convenient and anti-social for their own well-being. A rough world fosters community...a harmless one destroys it.

However I'm skeptical about pulling off a "low budget" MMO. I'm not sure it's really possible on the level we've come to expect. And mass player combat is extremely difficult to manage.
    The biggest part is the game's engine. Most post-WoW MMOs have used recycled engines from first person shooters that weren't designed to accommodate a lot of players (hence the "invisible armies" problem in GW2, for instance); but making your own engine is expensive and takes time... so I'm not sure what Mark Jacobs is planning to do. In any case he should be aware of this problem, so let's see what he comes up with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    I love PvP and find PvE as a secondary object in MMO's, however no PvE = No Open World?

Sounds like a lobby game where you wait for BGs
    And that shows how miserably clueless you are about PvP and the forms is takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    And that shows how miserably clueless you are about PvP and the forms is takes.
    Well for many people, WoW is the only MMO they know. Those people would probably have a skewed view of PvP. It shows how awful WoW's PvP system is, if you think of a PvP/RvR focused game, you assume it's lobby based. When in fact, lobby based PvP is the main reason I quit WoW and have started placing my faith in projects like Camelot Unchained.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMORPG.com's Rob Lashley will be interviewing City State Entertainment's Mark Jacobs tomorrow(14.02.2013) at 1:00 pm EST to talk about Camelot Unchained.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/streams.cfm
    Last edited by sinilaid; 2013-02-13 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    Well for many people, WoW is the only MMO they know. Those people would probably have a skewed view of PvP. It shows how awful WoW's PvP system is, if you think of a PvP/RvR focused game, you assume it's lobby based. When in fact, lobby based PvP is the main reason I quit WoW and have started placing my faith in projects like Camelot Unchained.
    But WoW has such amazing open world PvP on a grand scale like Wintergrasp and Tol Barad, the likes of which have never yet been matched. *WINK*

Also your Location reminds me of those pesky hibbies .

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    But WoW has such amazing open world PvP on a grand scale like Wintergrasp and Tol Barad, the likes of which have never yet been matched. *WINK*

Also your Location reminds me of those pesky hibbies .

Viva La Hibernia!

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    Sexy, especially banes and boons... which I've never seen in any MMO. Sounds like we'll really be able to geek out when creating a character. Yay choices!

10+ Year Old Account
    An interview with Mark Jacobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    also glad its a sub required game.
    PVPers are already a minority in the mmo gaming community,
    compound that by putting a subscription on it...
    Sounds like its going to be a great game for about 50k people.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    PVPers are already a minority in the mmo gaming community,
    compound that by putting a subscription on it...
    Sounds like its going to be a great game for about 50k people.
    Indeed, it's a niche game. And I'm glad there is a subscription fee. A game like this where community and realm unity are important, you want people who are dedicated to sticking with the game. Instead of thousands of random people coming and going every day.

Indeed, it's a niche game. And I'm glad there is a subscription fee. A game like this where community and realm unity are important, you want people who are dedicated to sticking with the game. Instead of thousands of random people coming and going every day.
    That's one way to look at it. I hope the developers agree.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Great interview. HE says that they need 2mil from kickstarter to get another 3mil from someone. Great Hopefully they will get those 2mil

Sadly, we will have to wait min 2 years, Mark said that they are aiming at early 2014 to begin alpha testing, and september 2015 to launch It's a long time, I for exmaple, am not sure if I am gonna play games that time. Sad
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-02-15 at 09:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    Great interview. HE says that they need 2mil from kickstarter to get another 3mil from someone. Great Hopefully they will get those 2mil

Sadly, we will have to wait min 2 years, Mark said that they are aiming at early 2014 to begin alpha testing, and september 2015 to launch It's a long time, I for exmaple, am not sure if I am gonna play games that time. Sad
    Well they haven't even chosen a game engine yet, so early 2014 is really fast for an alpha test tbh.

He also said that when players donate 2mil, he will drop 2mil of his own money and 1mil from investors.

Here is a nice summary:

Tiered Price structure sounds solid. Higher tiers possibly allowing more servers to play on, or spouse/kid account additions.
    No Pay to Win. Maybe cosmetic items for housing but seems reluctant to allow things in the game crafters can't make.
    Class structure, seems hardcoded style, not skill based, some freedom but didn't elaborate too much.
    Crafter centric sounds awesome.
    No Auction Houses...Rejoice!!!
    Housing, limited info but I like it. Can build in both safe zones and build in RVR zones with risks of it being burnt down, but advantages/benefit over safe zones.
    Will ask for 2 million with Kickstarter. If that goal is met, Mark&His other investor(s) will contribute another 3 million to get the total to 5 million. Mark putting probably about $2 million into it himself.
    No player looting in RVR but reward upon kill but still to be determined.
    No run and gun style fighting. Example...stand still casting/arrow firing, no running around bunny hopping dropping nukes on people.
    Not in the plans for single character per server but is open to discussing with players. Not something he understand the need/desire for but willing to discuss.
    Same faction FFA style isn't in the initial plans. Wants to get 3 faction game right first and would rather focus on that. If there is demand later its possible.
    If KS hits goal, september 2015 would be goal for game.
    If KS hits goal KS backers to get into alpha/beta VERY early. Wants their opinions and feedback.
    Engine for the game to be determined.
    Possible chance of mounted combat but its a stretch goal, probably wouldn't be at launch.
    Armor dyes will be present.
    Realm progression will be present but won't be structured realm ranks like DAOC.

Quote Originally Posted by sinilaid View Post
    Housing, limited info but I like it. Can build in both safe zones and build in RVR zones with risks of it being burnt down, but advantages/benefit over safe zones.
    lol that sounds awesome.
    Do you hear the voices too?

I see that they wan't to make it like in entropia universe, where you for example, shoot with a pistol and your handgun skill is inreacing, but you must shoot. In other words, Camelot Unchained will have the same skill system as Oblivion/Skyrim/Morrowind: you cast fire magic, your magic and fire skills improve. You craft siege warfare, your siege warfarfe skills improve. Thats nice, I like that. The only problem to solve is the difference between a beginner and veteran players. Mark said that he wants to avoid huge differences, like "veteran can totally own a beginner" which may be a wrong step, because nowdays ppl even more like to be rewarded in games than years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    The only problem to solve is the difference between a beginner and veteran players. Mark said that he wants to avoid huge differences, like "veteran can totally own a beginner" which may be a wrong step, because nowdays ppl even more like to be rewarded in games than years ago.
    I think that it will be one of those "will put off alot of people and make it a nich game" things.

I need to stop reading their blogs! I'm getting too pumped up for this game and I know it's gonna be awhile before it's released
    You also need to stop reading their blogs because Mark Jacobs is famously good at pretty much BSing his way into generating enthusiasm via blog posts for things that either don't happen at all, or don't get implemented the way they were originally described. Just go back and re-read all the hype for Warhammer if you think I am being too cynical about that.

Again, he's a nice guy and I don't wish failure on him, but really, anyone who is hanging on to his every word in blogs is someone I'd talk into about buying lakefront property in the Gobi desert.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saravat View Post
    You also need to stop reading their blogs because Mark Jacobs is famously good at pretty much BSing his way into generating enthusiasm via blog posts for things that either don't happen at all, or don't get implemented the way they were originally described. Just go back and re-read all the hype for Warhammer if you think I am being too cynical about that.

Again, he's a nice guy and I don't wish failure on him, but really, anyone who is hanging on to his every word in blogs is someone I'd talk into about buying lakefront property in the Gobi desert.
    I personally belive in him because DAOC was amazing, and was made pre EA, we all know it was ruined after the takeover. WAR was made under EA so it failed(SWOTOR also was a failuere to some extent and was also made under EA). Now that he is indi again there is no reason why CU will not be as good as pre EA DAOC was or even better.