Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Sen. Paul Introduces Audit the Fed Bill

U.S. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) has reintroduced the "audit the Fed bill"
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator Rand Paul
    Feb 5, 2013
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - Sen. Rand Paul has introduced the bipartisan Federal Reserve Transparency Act of 2013. Known widely as "Audit the Fed," the bill calls to eliminate restrictions on Government Accountability Office (GAO) audits of the Federal Reserve and mandating the Fed's credit facilities, securities purchases, and quantitative easing activities would be subject to Congressional oversight.

"The Fed's operations under a cloak of secrecy have gone on too long and the American people have a right to know what the Federal Reserve is doing with our nation's money supply," Sen. Paul said. "Audit the Fed has significant bipartisan support in Congress and across the country and the time to act on this is now."

During the 112th Congress, Audit the Fed legislation (H.R. 459) passed the House of Representatives handily, 327-98.Sen. Paul's version, S. 209, currently has 19 bipartisan co-sponsors in the Senate and companion legislation was introduced earlier this year in the House of Representatives and currently has over 100 co-sponsors.

Below is the link to the legislation
    :
    http://paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=694

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god, the last thing we need is Congressional Oversight of monetary policy.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm all for transparency, but what exactly do people expect to find when we audit the fed? What happens when we find out its just business as usual?
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Oh god, the last thing we need is Congressional Oversight of monetary policy.
    And keeping oversight of monetary policy in "The Fed" is better? Most likely not.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'm all for transparency, but what exactly do people expect to find when we audit the fed? What happens when we find out its just business as usual?
    You mean what happens IF we found out it's business as usual? Should that be the case, then public policy, with regards to spending, taxes and budgeting in general, will be changed. But, it's good to know what EXACTLY we're working with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    And keeping oversight of monetary policy in "The Fed" is better? Most likely not.
    I kinda think so. Having monetary policy subject to the whims of current politics probably isn't so good. You end up with Fed chairmen dragged up in front of Congress for some Kabuki Theater to appease people who are afraid of Quantitative Easing, even when the congressional types themselves know it's a good idea.

It's already in the Fed's best interest to keep the US economy strong and keep the dollar valuable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda think so. Having monetary policy subject to the whims of current politics probably isn't so good. You end up with Fed chairmen dragged up in front of Congress for some Kabuki Theater to appease people who are afraid of Quantitative Easing, even when the congressional types themselves know it's a good idea.

It's already in the Fed's best interest to keep the US economy strong and keep the dollar valuable.
    But, the fed already adjusts its policies based on the current political climate. It prints more money for the banks which causes inflation, which is has been doing for quite some time.

And even if congress doesn't take control of monetary policy, which let's be honest it already has control, at least the fed won't be able to just do what it wants, when it wants because it doesn't have the ability to keep its books closed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's also not forget that the House of Representatives, due to its tiny 2 year terms, is heavily influenced by fundraising/lobbyists. It's a bit of a conflict of interests to have the monetary policy of the country set by people who are so heavily influenced by industry.

Would have preferred "abolish the Federal Reserve, and return the gold standard."

Won't be getting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's also not forget that the House of Representatives, due to its tiny 2 year terms, is heavily influenced by fundraising/lobbyists. It's a bit of a conflict of interests to have the monetary policy of the country set by people who are so heavily influenced by industry.
    The same people (bankers, interest groups, etc) who fund the house (and the senate) already have ties to the fed and government agencies. There would be no major change, except in the realm of public policy. Those who run it now, will run it then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I should clarify. I'm OK with the idea of auditing the Fed's books so that what's going on is in the public record. What I'm NOT OK with is forcing the Fed to go to congress with hat in hand to say, "Mother may I please adjust interest rates?" because I think that will just turn into another political football, like the debt ceiling, or the fiscal cliff.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-02-05 at 09:52 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Money auditing the Federal Reserve would be better spent forcing all the money out of those offshore bank accounts of the rich and back into the tax revenue stream. Imagine what you could do with hundreds of billions of dollars in tax revenue that is tied up in international accounts but should rightfully be taxed by the American government?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Money auditing the Federal Reserve would be better spent forcing all the money out of those offshore bank accounts of the rich and back into the tax revenue stream. Imagine what you could do with hundreds of billions of dollars in tax revenue that is tied up in international accounts but should rightfully be taxed by the American government?
    I have a feeling trying to do that would end in a lot of bad unintended consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Money auditing the Federal Reserve would be better spent forcing all the money out of those offshore bank accounts of the rich and back into the tax revenue stream.
    But but but that would be punishing success!
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

A Congressman pushing a Congressional power grab? No way, you'd never expect that.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is the last thing we need. The Fed is already more transparent than they have ever been.
    They have been very clear about what they are doing with "credit facilities, securities purchases, and quantitative easing activities".
    If you think they are doing one thing while saying another, that would be an entirely different issue.
    (It would also be next to impossible as the bond market and banks would know long before congress did!)

The US Fed has done a supremely better job than any other monetary authority in the world during this crisis.
    I shudder to think how they would have done if they had to answer to guys like Rand Paul before doing anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palonus View Post
    This is the last thing we need. The Fed is already more transparent than they have ever been.
    They have been very clear about what they are doing with "credit facilities, securities purchases, and quantitative easing activities".
    If you think they are doing one thing while saying another, that would be an entirely different issue.
    (It would also be next to impossible as the bond market and banks would know long before congress did!)

The US Fed has done a supremely better job than any other monetary authority in the world during this crisis.
    I shudder to think how they would have done if they had to answer to guys like Rand Paul before doing anything.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    A Congressman pushing a Congressional power grab? No way, you'd never expect that.
    Not to mention that Rand Paul is fucking looney.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    In theory it makes sense. But not with the current congress. If there was a return to normalcy on the GOP side I would say yes. But they are just too flakey to handle that responsibility atm.

This wont even get a floor vote.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    Sean Paul Introduces Audit the Fed Bill.

But that didn't make any sense, so I read it again.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

If this passes we go into a recession tomorrow. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about what is going on knows what this will cause. If something like this ever passes with the current congress buy gold and put your head between your ass and kiss this country good bye.