Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Monitor Recommendations?

Ok, so first off, I run with a 2 monitor setup on a Palit GTX 670 2gb. I Currently have a 21.5" Asus VS228H as my main monitor (1920x1080) and and older 23" Asus (1680x1050) as my secondary monitor/speakers.

I am looking at picking up a new monitor to replace the older monitor, and would be looking at getting a 23"-24" monitor to do that. The one thing is, that I would want it to have speakers built in.

I know that built in speakers aren't really much good in general, but as I don't have my own place, I have to either use headphones for half the time, or keep the volume turned down low I don't have that much room for plug space (2x monitor, modem, router, pc and desk fan use them all up!), so the freedom to be able to sit well back with my feet up while watching youtube or blu-rays, and not having to unplug my fan during summer is the reason i would like to still keep at least 1 monitor with the built in speakers.

Not worried about having it capable of being connected to multi-screen mounts (since i have no plans of going to any more than the 2 screens), main thing i would worry about is the colour clarity / contrast - I hate the "washed out" look of some monitors.
    My main uses of the screen (as it would become my main screen) would be hd video (blu-ray / streaming) and gaming.

My budget would be (up to) ~£230.
    If there are any 27" screens of note that would come "close" to that budget, then I may consider those as a possible choice.

If you want good colors you go for a IPS panel, if you want good contrast go for a VA panel.

I would personally stay away from a monitor with built-in speakers, just add some $15 speakers.

You can find some really good reviews of monitors on the following sites:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
    http://www.flatpanelshd.com/
    http://www.digitalversus.com/
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did mention why I would prefer it to have built in speakers, as I don't worry about having crystal clear sound or amazing bass since I am not able to take advantage of those features of speakers. Having limited plug socket space is also an issue for me.

Reviews of monitors are all well and good if you already have an idea on monitors you are interested in, but without a more streamlined search it is just overwhelming. Also, on those sites listed, their "recommended monitors" sections are awful... they appear to either recommend a monitor with pros/cons, but not give reasoning, or are so outdated that the monitors only really show up as used when searching for them, instead of a new product.

The thing is that most monitors with built-in speakers are awful, you sacrifice quality of the monitor instead of working around the limited space and getting a extension cable/splitter.

For the money you are willing to spend you could get a http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2312hm.htm which is a pretty good lower end IPS panel.

If you really want built-in speakers this could be a decent pick http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.p...&id=1352273669
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-06 at 12:30 AM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Go for the Korean 27 inch 1440p IPS monitors off ebay. They cost $300 to $400. Trust me, you will love them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    Go for the Korean 27 inch 1440p IPS monitors off ebay. They cost $300 to $400. Trust me, you will love them
    While I do have one, and I love my Shimian, I wouldn't recommend it it to people. Why?

It's a gamble, it's not high quality, there's a chance you'll either get dead pixels, heavy backlight bleeding, coil whines on both the monitor & monitor PSU, stand fitting incorrectly etc.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Dell u2312HM + USB speaker = 200 quid and fits your requests