Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How much time does one spend on Rift?

I am currently an avid WoW player, and I am in a weekly raid team so every week I need to do the necessary things to get gear/prepare. Anyways, how much time would it take me from 1-60 (if I decide to buy SL), if I play 1-2 hours on weekdays, and 2+ hours on weekends? Also, once I reach 60, I am planning to PvP (even though I hear it's not that good). If I don't like the PvP, what stuff is there to do at 60 besides raiding? I want to be a competitive player in Rift, but I don't know how much that will take away from my WoW raids.

P.S. if you are wondering why I am going to play Rift while raiding in WoW, I am currently very bored of every aspect of WoW besides the raiding

Short answer: As much as you'll give it.

Long answer...

It'll probably take between 40 and 60 hours /played to make it to 60.

Rift end-game is generally considered to be PvE. I've never been a cutting edge raider, and through Chocolate was a good tier or two behind progression. As content gets older, it's easy to PUG. Other than PvP (Warfronts and Conquest) and progression raiding, you can:
    • Do instant adventures.
    • Do zone events.
    • Do completionist things like Carnages, achievement hunting, artifact collection.
    • Make your dimension a masterpiece.
    • Standard crafting, including fishing, cooking, and the likes.
    • Hunt Rift progression.
    • Crifting.
    • Limited AH, if you're into playing futures markets, sorta.
    • 5-man instances (random and not).

The Rift design ethos is "Log in and start playing" - so, as long as you're not too picky, you can almost always be teleported to something to do - log in and be killing stuff within less than 2 minutes.

I would estimate 60 hours would be the extreme low end for how much time it would take to get to level 60.
    A more realistic time is 80-100 hours, especially for a new player without a guild or knowledge of the best leveling specs.

I am playing super casual at the moment and getting alot done. Foraging, mining for money...do conquest for pvp and a few war fronts...queue for instances...gather money and sink it into my dimension. Dimensions alone is a insane time sink. This thread details player dimensions

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ity-creations/

Quote Originally Posted by Onorvele View Post
    Short answer: As much as you'll give it.

Long answer...

It'll probably take between 40 and 60 hours /played to make it to 60.

Rift end-game is generally considered to be PvE. I've never been a cutting edge raider, and through Chocolate was a good tier or two behind progression. As content gets older, it's easy to PUG. Other than PvP (Warfronts and Conquest) and progression raiding, you can:
    • Do instant adventures.
    • Do zone events.
    • Do completionist things like Carnages, achievement hunting, artifact collection.
    • Make your dimension a masterpiece.
    • Standard crafting, including fishing, cooking, and the likes.
    • Hunt Rift progression.
    • Crifting.
    • Limited AH, if you're into playing futures markets, sorta.
    • 5-man instances (random and not).

The Rift design ethos is "Log in and start playing" - so, as long as you're not too picky, you can almost always be teleported to something to do - log in and be killing stuff within less than 2 minutes.

40-60 is very low. I mean even the hardest core of the hardest core took 48 hours to go from 50-60. So how a new player that hadn't already tested specs and knew the path to take from playing in beta is expected to get from 1-60 in the same amount of time is beyond me.

In reality, you are looking at 40-60 hours just to get to 50 depending on the leveling path you take. Aside from just questing, there are several viable paths to level in Rift. IA being the fastest, then if you can get a good group you can run dungeons for really good XP and if you win a lot at PvP this is really good XP too. All are great ways to level and can mixed up to your hearts content.

50-60 you are looking at roughly the same amount of time it took you to get to 50, though you have a few more options since there are Carnages, Hunt Rifts and Onslaughts. You could also stop and smell the roses at 50 for a bit, check out and clear Ember Isle, the Chronicles, I see people running retro raids now and then too.

It's a long haul, probably longer than it should be as well, but most of it is enjoyable as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently bored of Rift. Any mmo in fact. Tons of things to still do, but just distracted. Love the game, but just in a funny zone right now. I usually get like this after spending too much time playing - leveled two characters to 60. Damn...

I log on about twice a week. Don't raid. Would be nice if someone could pop me an alpha code for Defiance... Hint Hint... nudge nudge ^^

I'll probably log on a lot more during the next patch.

Currently cursing my lack of skill in hardcore Path of Exile.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-02-05 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    I'm currently bored of Rift. Tons of things to still do, but just distracted. Love the game, but just in a funny zone right now. I usually get like this after spending too much time playing - leveled two characters to 60. Damn...

I log on about twice a week. Don't raid. Would be nice if someone could pop me an alpha code for Defiance... Hint Hint... nudge nudge ^^

I'll probably log on a lot more during the next patch.
    Do you even Rift tho?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Do you even Rift tho?
    Completely puzzled by the question. It is my mmo of choice - when I feel like playing an mmo. "I" personally think it is the best mmo of it's kind on the market. In my opinion, nothing... and I mean nothing... comes close.

Deleted
    Completely puzzled by the question. It is my mmo of choice - when I feel like playing an mmo. "I" personally think it is the best mmo of it's kind on the market. In my opinion, nothing... and I mean nothing... comes close.
    I havent played Rift in a very long time.
    I was spending 4-5 hours a day and that was all the time i had.
    It was great when it was new but due to the fact that Rift took the same aproach as WoW and in many ways copied the same features and philosophies i gradualy but definitely returned to WoW and embraced WoW as my MMO to play.

There are some good MMOs out there and many opinions are formed about each MMO but it is an exaggeration when people say " ... nothing... and I mean nothing... comes close." That is just the purest form of fanboyism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    There are some good MMOs out there and many opinions are formed about each MMO but it is an exaggeration when people say " ... nothing... and I mean nothing... comes close." That is just the purest form of fanboyism.
    "I personally"

"In my opinion..."

Look these phrases up and see what they mean.

Right now, personally, for me, in my opinion, this is the best PvE mmo out there. It's my feeling on the game and subject. Deal with it.

Until the next patch, did you forget to see that I, personally, am bored of Rift? Right now, Path of Exile is my personal favourite game, and to me, personally, better than Rift for entertainment value.

I must be a Path of Exile fanboy, guys because right now, Path of Exile is better than Rift for me.

Sheez... some other person attacked Fencer's the other day because he stated his/her opinion. Get a grip guys. People are entitled to a personal opinion - and it can change - at any time - and I don't have to send anyone a memo. I didn't say: "This is better than that". I stated my opinion on the matter right now for me.

In addition, my comment was to a person asking if "I even Rift" and my response was aimed at them directly, not necessarily to the whole gaming community. This is why I quoted that specific individual.

Much as I would like to embrace a particular mmo, I prefer to embrace my g/f... but, my "betrayal" of Rift goes even deeper...
    Oh, the inhumanity! I play other games too as can be seen by a quick glance at part of my desktop.

The whole "fanboy" thing sets me off. It's usually uttered by a true fanboy who says things like "embraced WoW as my mmo" :P

Last edited by theWocky; 2013-02-05 at 06:31 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can determine from the placement of your icons and the snapshot of your desktop background that you are indeed a fan boy. There are clear indicators of prevalence of deductory logic and bias present in the pattern your icons present. If you draw a pentagram, creating Rift as the north pointed star, it is clear that your dark lord who must not be named is none other than Trion.

This is all so obvious to me, I can't believe you would have posted it. I have learned how to do these things by watching Sherlock on the BBC. So there is no denying that I am speaking facts now.

To get OT:

Rift has more potential for spending time than many MMOs out there save WoW. The raiding scene isn't as accessible in WoW and there are few 'minigames' which subtracts that small amount of times you could spend doing those things. Otherwise, it has very similar outlets though the games are vastly different.

If you are a person who wants to spend 8 hours a day playing, you have plenty of thinsg to do that with. Most of us have played MMOs so long that we are starting to take steps back when we aren't leveling to play other things and do other activities. You can get what you want out of this game, for sure.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    You actually made me chuckle.

On topic, Rift probably has enough things to do to keep you pretty busy. Probably enough to keep you busy 8 hours a day between patches. Lot of it is grindy after a while, I guess - as are all mmos, but no activity ever feels grindy when you're chatting to good people in Teamspeak.

I, on the other hand, tend to get bored quickly in life, changing my house, car, girlfriend, games quite often. So, for Rift to have held my interest this long, to me, it is pretty damn good and has lots of things to keep me subbed.

You could also only dedicate two nights a week to the game and get to see all the raid content between patch cycles. It all depends how much you wish to spend your time and what sort of guild you manage to get in.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-02-05 at 05:51 PM.

I was going to show my icon list but realize I'm on a Mac and would just open myself to excessive ridicule.

Also, Rift was an amazing game when I had bootcamp. I thought it was a lot better than WoW, but I needed the space on my laptop so I had to delete it. The leveling experience and art style was a lot better but that moment you hit max level, it was just the same grind as WoW. Right now I play GW2 occasionally and my WoW account is paid in full for a few more months but I'm done when it runs out.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2013-02-05 at 05:56 PM.

It was a play on the phrase "do you even lift, bro?"

Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    I was spending 4-5 hours a day and that was all the time i had.
    It was great when it was new but due to the fact that Rift took the same aproach as WoW and in many ways copied the same features and philosophies i gradualy but definitely returned to WoW and embraced WoW as my MMO to play.

You must not have gotten very far, and played Rift AFTER WoW ripped off all the stuff it did from Rift. There are features in both that are copies, but as far as philosophies go, they are pretty different. To say that they copied philosophies tells me you probably did not spend very much time at end-game, or exploring the soul system at all.

Not saying there is a problem with that, the games are similar in quite a few ways, but the huge differences really shine at end-game and of course the soul system. Also, if you prefer WoW that is ok too, but coming in here and calling people fanboys in very very poor form. It was also poor form of him to respond with a similar accusation though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It was a play on the phrase "do you even lift, bro?"
    40 years old. Guess I'm not cool enough. He He.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    It was also poor form of him to respond with a similar accusation though.
    This is not the first time you mixed up / misunderstood things that were said. Most of what I said was in jest. I let it slide, however, as English is probably not your first language and obviously there is miscommunication. I am sincere in this. I mean it, not as an insult, but your reading comprehension indicates that it is your second language. If it is not, I apologize, but based on some other posts and responses to users, it seems to indicate this.

You come across as quite aggressive too in some responses when someone accidently mispoke or made an error in grammar, so this further seems to substantiate this. I really like some of your other posts, but you really take things too seriously sometimes, mate. I'm not an enemy and never deliberately nasty. I am a fan of man. Chill.

I honestly couldn't give a damn what someone thinks about me. I'm 40, semi-retired, a self-made millionaire - someone calling me a "fanboy" is insignificant - what I said about him was said as sarcasm. I wasn't being remotely serious. Seriously. I was merely poking fun at him for his silly remark.

I just type on these forums as I enjoy the recourse and every now and then, I get an idea from the other off-topic forums. Also, there are some real gems of wit and stupidity to be found on forums and I enjoy these too.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-02-05 at 06:36 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh dear
    I, on the other hand, tend to get bored quickly in life, changing my house, car, girlfriend, games quite often.
    a self-made millionaire.
    It all makes sense now. I can sell you the key to satisfaction and lack of boredom...at a cost. I will help rid you of your amassed wealth and thereby increase your satisfaction to boredom ratio! PM me for info!

Peasants like us fight through boredom since we don't have money to buy dancing llamas and stuff.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    The boredom thing is a curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Peasants like us fight through boredom since we don't have money to buy dancing llamas and stuff.
    There is no such thing as a "peasant". You have to treat every person in the world as if they will one day be president. I am friends with a guy who as a teenager was shy, introverted and he's now a member of parliament in South Africa with, by all indications, a very successful political career ahead of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    I was going to show my icon list but realize I'm on a Mac and would just open myself to excessive ridicule.
    A wise decision indeed lol