Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'm going to heartily recommend this post. Not only is Iceleaf correct on all points, he's thorough enough that you could build an entire diet plan around that one post.

The only quibble I have is that drinking a lot of milk isn't a particularly good idea. Not that it's suggested there, but it's worth mentioning in case someone reading gets the wrong idea. Almond milk is fantastic for shakes by the way.
    Thank you!

Yeah, like I said on the post..I have no idea about milk on US or other countries. I heard some stuff that its bad etc.. but at least over here its pretty good. Vitamins, fats, some protein and all that stuff.
    I used to drink about liter a day, now I just use it for coffee because its quite expensive.
    I mean just check out this chart and you will understand its common to drink lot of milk around here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_per_capita

edit: also I meant milk is better than soda.
    Last edited by mmocd6ad878d9b; 2013-02-06 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpp View Post
    think more faceroll less, thinking burns calories

This guy actually has a valid point. Ive been playing wow and FPS games. And night after night I sweat like a motherfucker.

Deleted
    When possible, stand instead of sit, for example when watchin streams, or looking something up, just stand up, doesnt get any more simpler than that. Got a dog? Walk him out every 2-3hrs instead of letting him out to the yard when he wants to. Just simple stuff, walk, run, bike instead of drive a car.
    As for diet, eat less than you want, for example, making 3 sammiches? make just 2, eat slowly, best away from tv / computer, focus on eating, that will get you full faster without any distractions, it takes your brain 15 min to realize you're full, but in that time you ate way more than you had to.

Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes

See above. The calorie in/calorie out dogma is wrong. Exercise is great (particularly for postural deficiencies), but your body composition has more to do with what you eat (meaning WHICH foods, not the amounts).

There's no diet to combat sitting in front of a computer so many hours every day. Unless you eat nothing but salad and drink water you'll continue to gain weight because you burn too few calories.

What I did back 2010 (I played 6-8 hours every day):

1. Converted 1 hour every weekday from gaming to exercise (running, spinning and swimming). The weekend I kept sacred.
    2. Started on eating less, ie. eating and then waited 20 minutes to see if I was still hungry
    3. dropped elevators and escalators (seems silly, but trust me it works)

In one year I lost 20kg. and now I'm in peak condition and at just the right weight. It's all about baby steps, but it requires you to cut back on gaming.

/ Z.
    Last edited by Zhira; 2013-02-06 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Typos

10+ Year Old Account
    Exercise. Don't go to the gym and be a tool, just do it in a blank space around your house and do push ups, crunches, sit ups, jumping jacks, and so on. I've been doing it every other day and I have started to notice some results. Not huge fucking results you see on advertisements, I am talking simple but true results. Also try to eat healthier. Today, I ate 2 pieces of toasted bread, some avacado and a banana and I feel alright.

I've noticed my sleeps have been getting better, and I get some self esteem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdbear View Post
    I would cut down on the amount of playing and sitting. Go for a walk.
    Obesity cant be hindered through diet alone. You need exercise.
    Wrong.

time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by 20minutesolo View Post
    Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes

See above. The calorie in/calorie out dogma is wrong. Exercise is great (particularly for postural deficiencies), but your body composition has more to do with what you eat (meaning WHICH foods, not the amounts).
    Good Calories, Bad Calories by the same author is also a informative read.

Getting some excercise is good for the body in general. When a person loses weight, they lose both muscle and fat unless they do activity to maintain the muscle. In really built people they can't help but lose muscle, but for someone who doesn't work out it is pretty easy to maintain it. Also, muscle burns calories passively, even on the days you don't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzonic View Post
    I would like to ask you guys what is the best diet plan for a gamer like me who sits in front of my computer for about 8-10 hours a day playing wow, maestia, LoL and many more other mmo games >.< I have noticed that I am gaining so much weight on this régime. Do you have your own exercise routines with this kind of lifestyle?
    You might not want to hear it, but I had to get out of the computer room myself. I started working out, with a trainer via a Boot Camp course i signed up for, 3 hours a week. Yeah, its a time and money investment, and you might not want to do any exercise and many people here will tell you diet alone can lead to weight loss and they might totally be right.

I had to get up and get out cause dieting was nothing I was really into. But, along with the exercise in order to accelerate the process I made some small dietary changes that have already been mentioned here.

I cut out sugary drinks, soda, fruit juices, anything the obviously contains sugar, you know them when you see them. I switched to drinking water, even when out.
    I stopped eating almost entirely past 8:30 to 9 pm. Done, if I don't get my snacks in by then (cause I get distracted playing WoW or something) then no snacks even if I am hungry.
    I made a general rule not to go to fast food or pizza for dinner. Not 100% avoidance just it's not the go to food when I am hungry.
    Along with the above, I made a decision to make my own dinners, with rice and vegetables and a protein (steak, pork, chicken). I didn't want to cut out things I liked to eat and only have grilled chicken breast with no salt or butter the rest of my life.. or at all really. I like butter and salt.

But along with the things that I cut out I also maintained certain things:

I like to have a bowl of ice cream at night on occasion, so I switched to lowfat frozen yogurt and lite cool whip and got a slightly smaller set of bowls. Reduce portion and reduce some of the calories. Is it better than not having any, no, but I like a snack on occasion and didn't want to cut out everything.

I switched to 100% juices. is there sugar in them? most likely, but the key here is no added sugar to me. With that I give them a pass mostly but I reduced the number of glasses by alternating between them and water.

There are few other things, I actually got an exercise ball to sit on while at the computer, but you have to find what works and for me, it was a combination of exercise and diet. In 6 months I lost approximately 40 lbs. No fancy diet, no ridged calorie counting, just regular exercise to elevate the heart rate and sensible habits when it comes to food intake.

You to can do it when you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by slummish
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

I can tell you that diet will have a much greater effect on your weight than changes in exercise.

Basically, don't snack all day. If you're looking to lose weight, you'll have to get used to being hungry. Probably the biggest difference between thin people and fat people is that being hungry doesn't bother thin people.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    You can almost survive off potatoes and nothing else, you can hardly call them useless nutrient wise. Most of the health issues come from what people do to them.
    Okay let's just say they have a high glycemic index - lots of fast carbs that provide energy that's probably going to end up as fat. I might have underestimated the amount of vitamins in a potato, although I do wonder how much is left after it's been peeled and boiled.

Also if the OP is from US, I probably should've included corn syrup on my list. As far as I know the food industry there kinda likes putting it *everywhere* and it's practically just glucose.

Anyway my point was that low/slow carb diets do work and are one of the easiest ways to address weight issues.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    Carbohydrates by definition ARE nutrients. You'll have to be more specific.
    I meant nutritional value.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdbear View Post
    Sure, you can lose weight by diet alone. But as soon as you've quit the diet the weight will find its way back.
    Same can go for Working out too.

Heres the different
    Diet by it self (no working out)= Weight loss
    Working out by it self (eat as much as you want) = No weight loss, might even be weight gain

Dieting is much harder to go off of in the long run, once your doing it than Working out. Once you start eating less your body adjusts to it and you can't eat as much (require less to feel full) where as working out, the sec you miss a few days you get lazy.

If you cal count you should be fine (that what I do), I'm not muscular but I don't want to be, I wanna stay skinny, I do so by counting cal.
    My body burns at most 2000-2270 a day (that just siting around : http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/calories.shtml) as long as I don't intake more than that I am fine.

Just remember 1 thing you either Diet only or Workout and Diet. To me I rather do the one that requires 1 less work, maybe slower to lose weight but it alot better than just working out and not dieting.

(think about it this way: Walking 1 hour a day burns 200-250 cals/each, you eat one bar of candy and there goes 280 cals you just intake, so if you even ate 1 sniker a day, well you just consumed 210 a week, 1 pound = 3500, so in 16 week you just gain 1 lb for walking everyday and eatting a canday bar) The issue with gamer is that we consume more than we burn (lot of cola/fast food/candy/chip). A fast food Value meal is like 700 cal/a can of soda is 200 cal/12 chips is 200 cal, and we consume more than that, using 3 meals/2 snack min of this, is 3,200 (1k cal/day more than I burn sitting around) cal a day, and thats min, most of us eat more than that.

So a Diet is the best thing to do first, then if you want faster result work out with it, don't just work out and think you can eat as much as you want, unless you plan to burn 5,000 cal a day (more than 4 hours of working out a day (high intense). We are gamers so that is unreal to us.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2013-02-06 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Drop down to one meal a day.

You'll be hungry. Deal with it.
    this is the worst advice given by the fattest asshole. the people who think being hungry all the time is A-OKAY are the ones who are going to fail to change their diets. Yeah, if you're used to munching all day every day being legit hungry is going to feel new and uncomfortable. After a week or two you should have adjusted your diet and eating habits to eat when you're hungry and only then.

just watch your calories, cut sugar and junk food out of your diet entirely - not because its "bad calories" or any of that bullshit, but because you have to eat so much more of it to feel full. there you go. now you're skinny-fat. introduce an hour of exercise every other day and get swoll.

theres so much bullshit information in this thread. all this dont eat after midnight gremlins shit, good calories, bad calories, glycemic index nonsense.

heres the truth:

its thermodynamics. a calorie is a calorie and its calories in - calories out. go here:
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

figure out how many calories you should be eating a day and eat them. any way you want. eat 3 slices of pizza at 3 in the morning as long as you don't go over your calories. you wont gain weight and you might lose some.

will you be fit? no. you'll still look gross naked, but you wont be a fat sack. exercise is the only thing that makes you sexy.
    Last edited by crunk; 2013-02-06 at 04:23 PM.

I stick to a regimen of 1500-1800 calories per day, allowing myself ONE pig out day per week where anything goes. I go to bed hungry sometimes, but your body adjusts after 3-4 days.

a big part of the self-discipline is going into it expecting to be hungry and accepting it. i set goals like "i can have my pig out day in 3 more days."

since im in the office during the week, i eat tv dinners often. I get 3 of those $1 michelinas or healthy choice dinners. 5 cheese lasagna or manicotti or alfredo noodles. Those run about 300 calories each. I also get 1 deluxe tv dinner for $3-$4. Today its beef stew and its 200 calories.

I have one for breakfast, the stew plus another for lunch, and 1 for dinner. Thats 1100 calories. I have milk or maybe a sport drink for 250 calories. I might get some chips or candy bar from the vending machine shortly after breakfast. That leaves me around 1500-1600 calories.

You know youve done it right when you feel HUNGRY at the end of the day. Some nights i feel the urge to cheat is too strong. I fix that by just going to bed early. Playing d2 can make me sleepy quick so i might do that.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:43 AM ----------

What makes dieting hard is two things:

1. the overwhelming majority of people learn by example.
    2. Most teachers are too stupid to realize that people need specific examples to learn.

Its like when we teach math in grade school. What do we do? We feed kids 50 examples and tell them do them all. Because it works. People respond positively to that.

Thats why i gave you a specific, itemized plan on what to eat and how you will feel at the end of the day.

1. Breakfast 7am one $1 michelina dinner 300 calories.
    2. Snack 8 am candy bar 240 calories.
    3. Lunch 11 am one $1 michelina dinner 300 calories, 1 healthy choice dinner (lets say the one with turkey and stuffing) 300 calories
    4. Dinner same as breakfast.

Drinks water, glass of milk, one bottle g series sport quencher 240 calories.

Total for day: 1680 calories.

Do this for 3 days as a test run. Expect to feel hungry when you go to bed. By the 4th day, you will probably notice your food cravings are down.

Long term plan: 3 days on this diet, every 4th day is a minor pig out day where you boost your calorie count up to a limit of 2600 calories.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:48 AM ----------

That was just one example of a daily regimen to follow to lose weight. Its easy because the calories are listed right on the back of the box. The next step is to plan out other examples of consuming only 1500-1800 calories per day. Build up a menu of daily plans to switch between to prevent boredom. Does always have to be tv dinners. Cook something yourself or have your gf do it. Maybe a restaurant. Whole foods from the grocer. I love grapes. I might replace the breakfast with a bunch of grapes.

Minimize sugar and simple carbs, and replace with fruit and water, then aim for a balanced diet.

Get some weights. If you don't have the space for a full bench-rack, get an adjustable bench and some dumbbells. Lift between (or durring, if possible) events. As time passes, it'll be like that magic "wish I could step into a machine and press a button to get strong/huge/whatever".
    I worked at a helpdesk and had a 400+lbs for my benchpress next to my desk. I'd often work out while on the phone: 8hrs at work, 2+hrs of working out in between, and found it to be quite easy to do.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

You cant just lift weights. weight lifting works because it tears your muscle tissues which grow back bigger and stronger. For that to work, you need to consume lots of protein as well. Thats why muscluar guys are pounding protein shakes for breakfast.

You can just lift weights without upping your protein, but it wont do much.

between classes and 6-7 hours of gaming a day, i still find 2 hours, 5 days a week to go to the gym and keep myself lookin good lol.

The "best diet plan" is always incomplete without exercise.

Deleted
    drink water

go out for a long walk (1 hour +) or a jog or both combined. Cardio is good for you, not only to lose weight but to gain stamina. And nobody's gonna laugh at you for running. You might even motivate some people to adopt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woebegone View Post
    I think we're talking about a permanent diet change here, rather than a "weight watchers' diet" or whatever (diet kinda has a dual meaning). And still that's not entirely true - to lose weight you need to eat less than you consume, to keep your weight where it's at you need to eat the same amount you consume. So once you stop your diet you can and should bounce back to eating a little more, just not in excess.

Anyway low carb diets seem to do the trick for a lot of people. Pasta, potatoes, breads, etc. are a pretty useless nutrient-wise but provide a lot of energy. I know my weight just plummets if I go on a meat & salad diet.
    Just want to point out a misconception about Weight Watchers. I've been a member for about 6 months and my wife for about a year. WW is NOT a diet. There is no special Weight Watchers food that you have to eat...although they do make and sell their own food, buying it and eating is NOT a requirement. Weight Watchers basically teaches life changes...changes in what you eat and how you live your life. The vast bulk of the literature is about changing the way you approach food. That's what's so good about the program. At no point do they tell you you can't eat a banana split or fettuccine alfredo. Knock yourself out, just know you will have to budget points for those foods.

I think you are thinking more about something like Jenny Craig.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!