Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Shows that your are not a dog lover.
    Shows you are a judgmental hipster and no one should care about you (or at least what you think)

Anyways dogs are amazing. Being a guy I thought I would never really like my moms little girly pomerainian but that dog had to be the best dog I have ever known. Now we have a cocker spaniel and she is also awesome.

I can maybe understand how some people don't mind cats but I don't understand how some people like them more...

Cat friend Vs Dog friend.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Shows you are a judgmental hipster and no one should care about you (or at least what you think)

Anyways dogs are amazing. Being a guy I thought I would never really like my moms little girly pomerainian but that dog had to be the best dog I have ever known. Now we have a cocker spaniel and she is also awesome.

I can maybe understand how some people don't mind cats but I don't understand how some people like them more...

Cat friend Vs Dog friend.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbycvPwr1Wg

cocker spaniels are awesome. intersting fact, apparently not that long ago, a little over 100years springers and cockers were the same breed. probably why i like cocker spaniels is how simmilar they are to springers

also, the reason i think some people like cats more is they are easier to look after, a lot less work. a long as you provide them food and water they seem happy enough. a dog requires a lot more time.

10+ Year Old Account
    i had a dog. had him put down yesterday.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i had a dog. had him put down yesterday.
    aww I'm so sorry. Just remember how awesome your dog definitely was.

As long as there is a profit in breeding animals and selling them the breeders won't stop. The best way to stop them is to drive them out of business.
    You are generalizing that all breeders are heartless bastards that cull the unsold pups. Petty dismissive attitudes and willful ignorance doesn't make you correct.

Good breeders, don't over-breed. They don't keep their mother dogs in perpetual pregnancy. They never cull. They breed select breeds.

There may be some profit in it, but you can tell when a price is reasonable.

We bought a puppy that can be AKC certified pure-breed. We spent time with the breeder. She is a stay at home mother with a large piece of property and a large house. She has two momma-dogs, who she let rest, not in constant pregnancy. They are very healthy and happy. She spends a lot of time with each puppy, so they are good with people. She weens them. She potty trains them. She sends you home with food and toys. The puppies get to run around a huge yard supervised. The puppies get to interact with house cats, so they are properly adjusted to homes that have them.

I can't go to the shelter and get this particular breed and size on a whim. This was specifically what we wanted, not just some dog.

I've rescued many cats before, taking in kittens I've found on my tire, ones that showed up on my doorstep. I've adopted cats from shelters, I've fostered sick cats from shelters. The shelters we have where I am, are very humane and good to the animals. They spend time with them. Dogs get to go out every day to run around. Cats have a cat play room so they can be social and not in their rather large cages, which aren't just metal wire, but large, open, multi-spaced areas with large windows on the fronts for viewing. They feed them well, have toys in their 'cages', and get regular attention. They are a no-kill and no-refusal shelter. They will find room or send them to another place we have in our community that is also no-kill and very caring for the animals. Not only that, but many people from the community not only donate food and supplies, but volunteer their time to the shelters to help with just about everything, allowing great service and virtually no cost; increasing the ability for lower income families with pets to get things like visits, shots, etc for free or at cost.

To assume that all shelters are hell and all breeders are scum ... was an assumption I assure you isn't correct.

You can feel as self-righteous as you wish ... but claiming just because someone doesn't exclusively adopt from a shelter cannot possibly love an animal is dishonest, disinformation, and disrespectful. You have no empathy or understanding outside your little glass house.

You associating a few bad 'apples' (breeders that cull) with the whole, and wanting to end the practice altogether instead of going after the ones with terrible business practices (pretty sure that can't be legal to just kill puppies just because) is bullshit, really. What you should be doing is condemning and helping to go after the bad businesses, while encouraging and supporting the good ones.

Everything we do, is for profit. People at the shelters aren't all volunteers, they get paid. People at non-profit organizations, still pay the people that work there (Salvation Army, non-profit hospitals, etc). Making money, is a part of the world's society for now, and it doesn't always equate to evil.

As long as the world is driven by profit, we should make sure our dollars go to the ones doing things for the right reasons, and treating their workers fairly, while producing the best quality product they can ... that goes from toilet paper to puppies.

Last thing, would you say that parents who have their own kids don't love them, that if they loved kids, the only option is to adopt? Because that the closest thing I could find in relation to your sentiments.

I love my dog. 12 years old already though.
    Favorite thing for her to do is lay her head against my feet and eat some chips with me.

I can slap her push her or whatever and she won't mind. She loves us too much hah.

This is her when I was pulling her fat on top of her head.

@solidito - that dog is freaking enormous, lol. man, what a gorgeous dog. i assume you socialize him well?
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I own a police dog named Rex. He's about to turn 3 years old, got his KNPV degree just before he turned two. About 5 months into work he got kicked by a suspect and broke his knee. He's now unfit to be my police dog and i stopped working as a police officer with a dog as i can't find it in myself to train another dog or even have one bought by the department, too much stress when loving your animal. Sadly, he can no longer run next to me on a bicycle like he used to love... we now cycle slowly as he's still in walking pace and he loves it.
    D'aw man, you are awesome, and your dog is a hero <3

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    him by the way :P
    that was his first day home, he was so tiny

heres one of him just chilling in the sun
    Peggle thats such a lovely pic

So many cuties in here. Remeber to put your pets names though guys! Also ther is a 'post your pet' thread lurking somewhere with lots more pics
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

I'm going to let you guys finish But, I just wanted to say cats are the greatest pets of all time!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I'm going to let you guys finish But, I just wanted to say cats are the greatest pets of all time!

well i dont see a cat lovers thread anywhere. i think the winner of best pet is pretty clear!

joking, i dont mind cats, but i said before i prefer dogs because you cant take a cat to the beach with you, or go for a nice long walk with one. infact, they seem to hate doing anything with their owners apart from when they want food :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I have dogs but I'm more of a bunny person. Don't want to get a bunny until the dogs move on, since they tend to eat bunnies.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time i get a dog i get it from a shelter. Saving an old dog from euthanasia is better then supporting breeders that are just out for profit and "discard" their unsold "goods".
    Yeah well I've done that too and somehow I magically resist the urge to get high and mighty on people who buy from breeders (and there ARE reputable breeders that don't do what you say, learn to research).

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with you here, I'm definitely more of a cat person than a dog person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snes View Post
    I have dogs but I'm more of a bunny person. Don't want to get a bunny until the dogs move on, since they tend to eat bunnies.

we had a bunny when we was younger, hated it :P probably because we were kids and didnt look after it properly, but all it did was chew everything and start fights with the neighbourhood cats. we came home once from shopping and there was blood all over the patio in the garden, turned out the rabbit got into a fight with the neighbours cat. the rabbit had a cut on his ear and the cat came out a lot worse.

I love dogs!

Here are my bundles of joy. Maya (with the stocking) is about to turn 5. Tobias (the side by side) just turned 1. They're both Australian Shepherds.

Clickable and enlargeable for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I love dogs!

Here are my bundles of joy. Maya (with the stocking) is about to turn 5. Tobias (the side by side) just turned 1. They're both Australian Shepherds.
    Tobias looks pretty cool. I think an Australian Shepherd would be a good next dog, but I'd have a hard time not getting a dog similar to what I have now...I'm not exactly sure what he is though. The shelter had him listed as a lab mix, but they had no idea what he really was or how old he was or his name. Somebody took him into the shelter, left him in a pen and walked out without saying anything. I asked a couple vets for their best guesses and they both said he looked like he was mixed with german shepherd, bull mastiff, boxer, one also added grey hound and the other added golden retriever. I've googled Florida Blackmouth Curs and my dog looks so much like them that I think he's gotta be something like that.

This is one from him years ago that I'm sure I've posted before, but I don't take a lot of pictures of my dog since he's kinda afraid of the camera, or basically anything that you point at him that he isn't familiar with lol

He's just a mans dog, always ready to play and run after the ball. He's about 5 years old but he still acts like a puppy, but that's what's so great about him. Anybody that gives him attention is his best friend, so he'll play with little kids for hours and keep them occupied lol

He really couldn't be a better dog for me, so I think if I had to get a new dog it would be a very similar dog or an australian shepherd maybe (it'd have to be a smarter dog lol)
    Last edited by grandpab; 2013-02-07 at 01:23 AM.

Radux: Your first one looks more like a border collie to me. Still, both are super cute.

Grandpab: Definitely looks like he has some boxer. Not being able to see his muzzle from the side makes it a bit difficult to tell. But the shape of his face, and the coloration, definitely looks like boxer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love my babies!!

Godiva is the sesame shiba inu attacking me, and Bailey is the black & tan shiba inu that is huddled by the chair

Deleted
    if this thread is still alive tommorow i might get some of the photos off my camera if i remember to.

grandpab your dog looks like he definately has some bull mastiff in him, no idea for the rest

Deleted
    http://i.imgur.com/gM4vfNJ.jpg here is my dog begging for nacho chips yes i know the bed is hairy i clean it every night its a small price to pay for her to be in her favorite safe spot in the house she is a border collie & long haired german sheppard mix.