Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Dog Chat! /(^.^)\

My 4-year-old golden retriever's birthday is coming up I'm sitting here at the computer remembering the day we got him from the breeder and drove him back to our house; staring up at me with his teddy bear face, wondering who the hell I was, what was going to happen to him, maybe even what his purpose was in life. But most likely what his next meal was going to be or whether or not he should tinkle on my lap.

Anyways, even though they're often seen as less than bright -- dogs are incredible creatures. They arguably are there in your life just to love and be loved. How great is that? Name one other person in your life that will be ecstatic the second you walk through the door every time, leaping around, bringing a smile to your face? They're forgiving, patient (sometimes) and nonjudgemental to boot. If you've got a dog, go pet and hug yours right now and remember that although we have stuff like WoW and other video games to keep us entertained... to a dog, that's what we're there for! D'AWWWW!

And just in case this little anecdote didn't enough to cheer you up while you're slaving away at your work desk or sitting bored at the computer, here's a little collection guaranteed to bring a smile to your face: Could you get mad at these faces?

I love all animals, you should bake a birthday cake for your dog they love that
    Do you hear the voices too?

This is my dog Molly. She's spoiled rotten.

I don't know why beastiality came to mind >. > I been in too deep on the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    the day we got him from the breeder
    Shows that your are not a dog lover.

My golden retriever will be 5 on march 13th, 10 days after her older "sister" turns 5 on the 3rd of march. I say "sister" because she's a husky. Got 2 others that will be 12 and 7 this year. Hard to believe they are getting that old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, I love dogs, too. Had them my whole life and they're just plain badass, always company when you're on your own and always happy when you come home.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, because 100% of breeders out there are exactly like the puppy farms you see on the news.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because?

I love dogs, got mine from a breeder.
    I thought I did, but apparently I don't

If you die you die but if you don't die you still die.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Shows that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, I love dogs, too. Had them my whole life and they're just plain badass, always company when you're on your own and always happy when you come home.
    Don't feed the troll, my friend. Just as there are douches in all aspects of life, so too there are apparently unsubstantiated dog snobs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    Yes, because 100% of breeders out there are exactly like the puppy farms you see on the news.
    That's not the only reason that people might be against breeders. I personally am against them, because while people buy puppies from breeders because they're cute and all that, perfectly good shelter dogs are being euthanized every single day in mass numbers. I wouldn't feel right buying from a breeder knowing that. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edison View Post
    Because?

I love dogs, got mine from a breeder.
    Every time i get a dog i get it from a shelter. Saving an old dog from euthanasia is better then supporting breeders that are just out for profit and "discard" their unsold "goods".
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-02-06 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    That's not the only reason that people might be against breeders. I personally am against them, because while people buy puppies from breeders because they're cute and all that, perfectly good shelter dogs are being euthanized every single day in mass numbers. I wouldn't feel right buying from a breeder knowing that. But that's just me.
    That's a fair point, but do dogs that have come from caring environments in a breeder setting deserve any less love?

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:45 AM ----------

Every time i get a dog i get it from a shelter. Saving an old dog from euthanasia is better then supporting breeders that just are just out for profit and "discard" their unsold "goods".
    Like I said to wynnyelle, the fact that shelter dog are being put down is a sad fact; but you're just generalizing.

Every time i get a dog i get it from a shelter. Saving an old dog from euthanasia is better then supporting breeders that just are just out for profit and "discard" their unsold "goods".
    I mean, that's great and good for you. I've gotten animals from shelters before, too. I've also gotten animals from people who bred them, or people who had pets that accidentally bred and needed a home for the offspring. However, to say that breeders kill off the unsold pets and then condemn those who buy those animals, while taking the moral high ground for saving an animal from euthanasia, is a touch hypocritical. If a person doesn't buy from a breeder that practices that sort of barbarity, those animals suffer the same or even worse fate than the ones in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    That's a fair point, but do dogs that have come from caring environments in a breeder setting deserve any less love?
    personally i prefer shelter dogs. i have nothing against breeders and purebreds (assuming all is done correctly), but there are some poor consumers out there that feed horrific programs. some breeds still havent recovered from becoming too popular. i do like different breeds though, and good breeders maintain good lines, so we can enjoy different breeds indefinitely. the whole purebred thing just isnt my cup of tea as far as ownership
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Then those are not the ones you go to. Yes, I prefer to get a shelter dog, but they always force you to alter your dogs before you can take them home. And quite honestly, I do not like doing that to my dogs. And DO NOT EVEN start the shit that always gets thrown around about that. Yes, they make you do that to curb irresponsible people, but I have 3 intact females, and none have had puppies. Because I am a responsible dog "owner" (still hate that phrase) and don't let my dogs wander to get pregnant from strays or someone else's dog. It's why I don't have any male dogs because I don't want any puppies. And what you described is someone who runs a puppy mill.

I do, however, refer people to get a dog from a shelter. And I have gotten a more from a shelter than I have from a breeder, but my preferred method is from a breeder for reasons stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnaby View Post
    This is my dog Molly. She's spoiled rotten.
    Holy fuck, that wiener dog is a boss!

OT: Love my 2 German Shepherds, 80 lbs females at 10.5 months. Got them from a breeder. The local Houston GSD rescue places want to do a bunch of stuff, that I find crazy and can't make time for, so I looked some up.

I always buy dogs in pairs, that way they are never lonely and they can play with each other with the same energy levels. If they are from the same litter, it's preferential.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    I mean, that's great and good for you. I've gotten animals from shelters before, too. I've also gotten animals from people who bred them, or people who had pets that accidentally bred and needed a home for the offspring. However, to say that breeders kill off the unsold pets and then condemn those who buy those animals, while taking the moral high ground for saving an animal from euthanasia, is a touch hypocritical. If a person doesn't buy from a breeder that practices that sort of barbarity, those animals suffer the same or even worse fate than the ones in shelters.
    As long as there is a profit in breeding animals and selling them the breeders won't stop. The best way to stop them is to drive them out of business.

Deleted
    Every time i get a dog i get it from a shelter. Saving an old dog from euthanasia is better then supporting breeders that are just out for profit and "discard" their unsold "goods".
    Annnnnnd where did the dogs in shelters come from?..... Just a thought

Not all breeders are cunt's just take your time and research the breeders before getting an animal from them.

As long as there is a profit in breeding animals and selling them the breeders won't stop. The best way to stop them is to drive them out of business.
    Duh? Who goes into business not wanting to make profit?