Thumbs up College Honors Thesis: Request for respondents for study on MMORPG play/use

Fellow Gamers Unite: Requesting survey respondents for College Honors Thesis on MMORPG gamers and play! Help very much appreciated!

Here We Go! My Honors Thesis Survey is finally live after a year of prepping. If you play any MMORPGs or know someone that does please take a few moments of your time to complete my survey or to send it to a friend. Thank you very much!

Perceptions & Attitudes Among MMORPG Players

"Do you like to play MMORPGs like: World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Vindictus, Star Trek Online, Tera, Lord of the Rings Online Age of Conan, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Everquest, Aion, Rift, EVE Online, The Secret World, or Warhammer Online? If you are 18 or older, click on the link below to take a survey on your gaming, social relationships on and offline, and possible positive and negative health outcomes related to your MMORPG play."

http://uncc.surveyshare.com/s/AQAINQD

A couple of *Disclaimers* - Based on current feedback thus far.
    - This survey is officially tied to the University of North Carolina at Charlotte & the UNCC Psychology Department.
    - Surveyshare utilizes a hashing system (to my knowledge) to prevent spamming and multipleinstances of the survey being taken.
    - Any and all e-mails are not recorded or forwarded to me - e-mail input is the simpilist way to protect you and the survey.
    - Once the survey goes down all data is stripped from the website - you're perfectly safe.
    - This will come up... the questions are not of my own creation and are pulled from prevelant MMORPG research.
    - This is to maintain continuity and universal validity amongst all studies. I cannot make changes to formatting.
    - If you've questions, comments, and concerns I am open ears to anything you've got to say.
    - Please keep all of this in mind.

- My contact information is in the survey, if you wish to get the results once publication is finished you can contact me at the end.

Thank you again for your time and consideration - I really appreciate everyone! This thesis has taken a long time to craft and the community has been amazing to me thusfar and I am eternally grateful for all of it. My research is meant to benefit the community and I am glad it has been received so well!
    Last edited by Io LoneWolf oI; 2013-01-05 at 04:02 AM.

I answered it but I have to say, your question list is really cluttered, a lot of basically the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkhor View Post
    I answered it but I have to say, your question list is really cluttered, a lot of basically the same question.
    New to surveying, eh? That's designed.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersenIII View Post
    New to surveying, eh? That's designed.
    I am, could you explain why it's designed that way?

Also, this seems like the wrong sub forum, would prolly fit better in off topic, you could contact a mod to move it for you.

Wait....I...What? I guess I took it

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 10:11 PM ----------

What kind of data are you going to get with a 1-questions survey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Wait....I...What? I guess I took it

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 10:11 PM ----------

What kind of data are you going to get with a 1-questions survey
    Something must have gone wrong for you, it's 94 questions iirc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably to see if similar questions give similar answers.

Like a way to judge the noise within the answers.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Also, this seems like the wrong sub forum, would prolly fit better in off topic, you could contact a mod to move it for you.
    The same reason they restate the same question slightly differently on (scientific) personality tests, and on those stupid little job application things at Wal-Mart. To try to make sure you're answering honestly. It is much easier to remember the truth than to remember "Now, how did I answer that similar question 4 minutes ago?"

It's only 1 question if you do click the 'No' option on the "Do you play Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games (e.g. World of Warcraft, Second Life, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars: The Old Republic, etc.)?" question.

If you do not play MMORPGs then you are not applicable for the study and this is why you are directed to the end of the study.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 11:23 PM ----------

Something must have gone wrong for you, it's 94 questions iirc.
    The survey is 115 questions?

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Probably to see if similar questions give similar answers.

Like a way to judge the noise within the answers.
    Those sort of things are by design. It's actually a sub-scale of a larger scale. Typically these things would be randomized and not sequential. However I was advised by my advisor and some of the more prominent researchers in the field to keep it in the order presented. It's better to trust the participants and not attempt to dupe anybody. The questions are similar but they all have their importance. Trust me on that much.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 11:27 PM ----------

I could see how this would be better in off-topic. I may contact a mod or post in there as well? The thread already appears to have accumulated a vast amount of responses within a short period of time. Moving it may or may not be detrimental at the moment.

Done.

Are you in a psychology program? Or what? You realize you don't have a control?

Also, will you please post your findings.

Yay NC! I was in Charlotte last week!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Done.

Are you in a psychology program? Or what? You realize you don't have a control?

Also, will you please post your findings.

Yay NC! I was in Charlotte last week!
    Thanks for taking time out to take the survey Deuse - I really appreciate your time and support!

I am indeed in the Psychology program at UNCC. I'm an honors student and also studying philosophy.

If you would like the findings please e-mail at jpatry@uncc.edu and once things are finished and published I'll e-mail you the final product.

As far as your concern goes... there is no need for a control group in this kind of research study. That sort of thing is reserved for more hands on experimental research where you are studying the effects of one thing on a group versus another. For example: You want to test the effect of expectations in a academic setting. In this instance you will have a professor and three groups. 1 group gets told the professor is 'excellent', 1 group gets told the professor is 'incompetent', 1 group gets told nothing (this is your control). You would test for things such as body language and behavior between all groups and then see how the two dichotomous groups are compared to each other... then you would see how they are compared to the control group to see if there really was a difference in behavior toward the professor and if that an impact was made in providing the students an expectation of the professor.

Probably not the greatest example but a it's what I could provide in my attempt to give a speedy response. Control groups are reserved for experimental research is what I am saying. Survey research tends to be more-or-less correlational or descriptive research and do not require a control group type of set up.

Awesome to hear that you were recently in Charlotte! It's a pretty fun place. :]

10+ Year Old Account
    Closing this as you already have several of these threads open. Please see the thread in General Off-Topic, which will remain open. Thanks.

- Tziva
    Last edited by Tziva; 2013-02-06 at 11:37 PM. Reason: made link more obvious

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |