Malefic Grasp tick-clipping

Going to keep this post short and sweet. I haven't been able to find anyone discussing how to use Malefic Grasp most effectively and in videos I see people doing all sorts of things with it.

The question is how do you know when exactly to stop your Malefic Grasp channel/refresh it. Do you let it run all the way down to the last tick and then recast, or do you go 1 or 2 ticks? Do you have a special method to see when exactly it ticks so you don't waste those precious ms' not channeling a useful malefic grasp?

Recently I've gone with ending it 1 tick before the final one, but I'm not positive that is the best way to go about it and then I look at the affliction logs and see how far off I am from ranking and am pretty confused how I can be so far with affliction.

You are doing it the right way.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    malefic grasp is basically a DoT that doesnt benefiet from pandemic. so basically, just treat it like you treated DoT's in cata - cast it again just before the final tick

I use a addon that makes a sound each time MG and Drainsoul ticks (use it mostly for drain soul)

And for when I recast it, well I always start casting my next just before my current cast or channel is finished.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I use a addon that makes a sound each time MG and Drainsoul ticks (use it mostly for drain soul)

And for when I recast it, well I always start casting my next just before my current cast or channel is finished.
    Drainsouler most likely. I'd go nuts with the constant sounds assaulting me. I use Gnossis cast bars, which is one of the few that takes everything into account and gives correct ticks when they happen.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gnosis is amazing if you don't want to hear the sounds. I personally have too many weakaura sounds already, so I put my castbar semi-transparent and in an area that I have to watch anyway and break after the tick marks Gnosis so neatly provides me.
    After being Medieve the Uberpally for many years, finally shelved in favor of Belledanna, the Uberlock!!! (patent pending)

-Unretired as of the launch of 6.0! Currently guild shopping. Need a good Warlock? I need a good home!