Deleted

[Arcane] Living Bomb VS Nether Tempest.

Hiya mmo community.

I've been using NT for ages on single target. However, I tried some dummy DPS [10 minute sessions] with both NT and LB. And every single time LB gave me better results, which got me thinking. So I tried it in simcraft, where the only difference is the bomb talent, nothing else. And with 50k iterations, Living Bomb came out on top every time. Is it due to my haste breakpoints or something similiar?

Opinions on why nether tempest would still be better? I'm sitting at (unbuffed) 27.3k SP, 8.25k mastery, 4.2k haste, 502 ilvl.

EDIT: I'm not hitting any haste platues for LB that I'm not hitting for NT, so this is not the reason why.
    Last edited by mmoc130aeee1c6; 2013-02-07 at 08:21 AM.

Deleted
    Did your LB hit multiples targets ?

I often see mages testing specs on raid dummies and they don't realize they are hitting the other dummies around.

Deleted
    It's not hitting nearby dummies, but as I said, simcraft gives me these results as well. However, I'm going to re-try with a newer simc version. (was apparently using one version ago)

EDIT: Using simc 510-9, LB still gives me a minor DPS lead.
    Last edited by mmoc130aeee1c6; 2013-02-07 at 08:50 AM.

i personally prefer NT because it ticks much faster than LB, and more ticks = higher chance for LoTC to proc

im guessing you're not using LoTC which could be why LB is simming out higher?

Deleted
    Correct about LoTC, good catch.

Deleted
    difference is that LB has a much higher chance to proc LOTC than NT does 25% vs 9% if memory is correct, for procing trinkets or which ever enchants the two are statisticaly the same. This is the way it was intended by Blizzard at the start, single target they should all be more or less equals just so you are not forced onto a certain bomb....

Deleted
    LB is more difficult to have a 100% uptime (you must wait to finish the previous one). With NT you can (and should) refresh when is about to expire (<1seg).

Deleted
    That's not true blaxter, LB still explodes if you refresh it with one tick left.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmagoz View Post
    That's not true blaxter, LB still explodes if you refresh it with one tick left.
    Indeed, in fact this usually makes it easier to get 100% uptime on LB than clipping ticks on NT
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

This post is brought to you by the letters U and F (though not necessarily in that order)

Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    difference is that LB has a much higher chance to proc LOTC than NT does 25% vs 9% if memory is correct, for procing trinkets or which ever enchants the two are statisticaly the same. This is the way it was intended by Blizzard at the start, single target they should all be more or less equals just so you are not forced onto a certain bomb....
    Where'd you get 25% vs 9% from?

Deleted
    Read it someplace, not sure if the figures are exact either... but they are farly accurate to what I read.

sounds like u are confusing brain freeze procs with trinket procs

No source and you're not sure if they are exact but they are fairly accurate?

The fact is that the trinket has a 15% chance to proc each time you deal periodic damage. LB has a default frequency of 4 (damage every 3 sec over 12 sec), which is probably where you got your 25%, and NT has a default frequency of 12 (damage every 1 sec over 12 sec), which is probably where you got your 9%, though it's more accurately 8.3%. Based on this math alone it's clear NT has a better overall chance to proc the trinket as it ticks more frequently than LB does.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    i personally prefer NT because it ticks much faster than LB, and more ticks = higher chance for LoTC to proc

im guessing you're not using LoTC which could be why LB is simming out higher?
    This.
    10chars

Deleted
    Damn yeah I think I am confusing the Brain freeze vs Trinkets .... Are trinkets not supposed to be PPM now like Jade SPirit and Windsong? or was that "to be" ??

Deleted
    Damn yeah I think I am confusing the Brain freeze vs Trinkets .... Are trinkets not supposed to be PPM now like Jade SPirit and Windsong? or was that "to be" ??
    Trinkets have ICD and proc chance, there's no ppm whatsoever but windsong/jade spirit and RPPM as of 5.1 I think.

It really depends on the fight, but I usually go for Nether Tempest since it scales better with haste than LB does near the plateaus and the increased chance to proc enchants/trinkets.
    It also depends on the fight mechanics, if there are other targets and how close they are...
    Also, NT only needs to be active for ~8 seconds for it to be worth casting while LB needs it's final explosion to be worth casting.