Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Nobody in this thread seems to understand. We are at war because the military industrial complex needs war to make money, so they bribe politicians to start wars. And then, there are companies that come after we invaded to rebuild the country with no bid contracts (such as Dick Cheney's company in Iraq). Then whatever resources they have get exchanged for us rebuilding after we destroyed the country. I've seen this called neocolonialism.

9/11 didn't happen because they hate our freedoms. It happened because the US has interfered with the Middle East far too much. We put brutal dictators in power when these countries wanted to become modern nations. We support Israel, whom has basically stolen all the land from the Palestinians and none of the western nations seem to care about it. The word "terrorist" is a code word to start wars. Mali apparently has terrorists now, but it is really because the western nations want their resources. The troop worship that happens is to neuter attempts to protest the wars because as evidenced, we have people saying they are fighting for your freedoms and people acting like service men and women are holy people. This is what the propaganda wants you to think so the US and other western nations has free reign to exploit 3rd world nations.

Let us not forget to mention that the US has killed hundreds of thousands of Arab civilians during these wars, with drone strikes hitting weddings and funerals. All we are really doing is creating more terrorists so the war never ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    What are your thoughts on these people? Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head. No they are not fighting for our freedom, and no they are not defending our country. No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States. Their response: "But we're over there to combat terrorism". Wake the fuck up, terrorists are everywhere. That guy that shot a bunch of kids in that Sandy Hook elementary school, terrorist. That guy that shot all those people in that movie theater in Colorado, terrorist. That guy that shot a crap ton of people in Norway, terrorist. You can not go to a specific part of the world in hopes of combating an idea. It's simply propaganda.

The only time they are defending us is if our country is in danger like when Japan bombed the shit out of Pearl Harbor in WW2.
    The op's post is about the USA, not
    Daerio Under the leadership of the democratically elected nationalist movement of Dr. Mohammed Mosaddeq, the Iranian parliament unanimously voted to nationalize the oil industry – thus shutting out the immensely profitable Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC), which was a pillar of Britain's economy and provided it political clout in the region.
    I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi and can not find where it says the USA invaded and stole OIL from this or any country ??

Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    lol I'm sorry, but I just can't res pone to your paranoid thinking without laughing, is it possible we have bases in Europe to help defend that part of the world, do you think if the USA had bases there before Hitler took power maybe the Holocaust wouldn't have happened??
    Or are you one of those that think the Holocaust was a lie and the USA invaded Germany for their OIL??? lol
    You've gone off on a bit of a tangent here, and you are no longer making coherent arguments. (if you ever did) Who are we defending Europe from? Are they not capable of defending themselves? I don't remember them asking the US for help. Why are we there?

Again, we have naval and air superiority. This enables us to be the most mobile military in the world. Why do we also need ground bases everywhere in the world? You cannot answer these questions, because there is no reasonable answer.

I didn't say they were.... I said that is where I made my choice to give up college and go into the Marine Corps. Trust me, I said my opinions on why we were there may have changed over a few deployments, but we did do some good while we over there as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Just a day ago there was a thread where Afghanistan was shown before the superpowers decided to start smaking it, which you even posted on. Now you´re sweping this crap?
    From the 60s. Now take a second to apply some critical thinking.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    That guy that shot a bunch of kids in that Sandy Hook elementary school, terrorist. That guy that shot all those people in that movie theater in Colorado, terrorist. That guy that shot a crap ton of people in Norway, terrorist.
    Adam Lanza and James Holmes were not terrorists. Brevik was a terrorist because his violence had a political motivation.

Overall, your post is uninformed, unintelligent, insulting, and just plain boring.

I award you no points....
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

as a part of the Danish army, i werry much believe the international war effort in the middle east is helping a lot.

As a civilian, you do not have the same insight, or first hand experience on what is going on down there.

Perhaps we are not defending our own country's as it is right now, we are helping them regain their country from terrorist groups like Al'quaida and Taliban.

and seen in a long time perspective, yes, we are defending ourselfs by reducing the potential threat.

When the war started, most children in afghanistan didn't have any school, no education. Now, they do. And it is our duty to try and make sure it stays that way. Because if we pack our bags and leave, terrorists will be swarming the place like vultures on a corpse in the desert.

Young girls is being tortured and killed for wanting an education. Don't you think we have to do something to defend their human rights?

Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi and can not find where it says the USA invaded and stole OIL from this or any country ??
    Continue to choose to not see, it doesn't bother me. It's a well known, well confirmed fact that our government has done such things. If you choose to BELIEVE them not to be true, it's very similar to BELIEVING the holocaust did not occur (which is something you accused me of, lol) despite the CONFIRMED FACTS to the contrary.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-02-07 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    as a part of the Danish army, i werry much believe the international war effort in the middle east is helping a lot.

As a civilian, you do not have the same insight, or first hand experience on what is going on down there.

Perhaps we are not defending our own country's as it is right now, we are helping them regain their country from terrorist groups like Al'quaida and Taliban.

and seen in a long time perspective, yes, we are defending ourselfs by reducing the potential threat.

When the war started, most children in afghanistan didn't have any school, no education. Now, they do. And it is our duty to try and make sure it stays that way. Because if we pack our bags and leave, terrorists will be swarming the place like vultures on a corpse in the desert.

Young girls is being tortured and killed for wanting an education. Don't you think we have to do something to defend their human rights?
    ^^^ this.. as a prior Marine this about sums it up. Civilians do not have the same insight, and for every action there is a conspiracy theory, and they believe we just blindly follow orders and have no perception of what is going on, or what we are affecting whether good or bad.

Killing people to do so isn't the right way. There are other ways.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    What are your thoughts on these people? Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head. No they are not fighting for our freedom, and no they are not defending our country. No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States.
    Posts like these make me die a bit inside. When I joined the Army, I did so to serve and protect my country and I would do it again. What really gets me is the ungrateful fvcks such as you that have little to no respect for this country or those that put their lives on the line for what they believe is right. The old saying is still true to this day. You hate us during peace time (or when we are not under direct attack) but love us when you need someone to fight to make sure your sorry a$$ continues to enjoy the rights and privileges you take for granted all the time.

If you think that no country in the middle east can be a threat to the United States, then you sir/madam need your head examined.

I expect this kind of nonsense to come from someone not from the US because they just love to hate us, but it's truly pathetic when coming from a US citizen. Please leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    From the 60s. Now take a second to apply some critical thinking.
    My point illustrates that the country was far better off before The Soviet Union and US tried to play chess using foreign countries.

Anyway, you have no argument, what are you even doing here?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Without the US military, its economy would be a joke.
    Those three meals you can afford every day? You owe that to the military. You might not like it, but you do.

Have a nice meal.
    Yeah, and seeing how... 40%? of the money the US earns in Taxes goes STRAIGHT into the military where it could be spent elsewhere? Sorry but you're talking some serious bullshit here.

Why do you think the Taliban and Al-Qaida was formed? The Taliban was formed from the Mujahideen, which was supported by the US to fight the Soviets.

If we didn't meddle in everyone's business they wouldn't even exist today. Hell we create most of our own problems...

We also backed Saddam Hussein and Fidel Castro.

Last edited by Purlina; 2013-02-07 at 04:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to say it, but I tend to believe that enlisted U.S. military members (and domestic law enforcement officers) are disproportionately less intelligent than you might find in other lines of work. I have nothing against lukewarm IQs, but I also believe the dumber you are, the more violence-prone you become. When you give dumb, aggressive men a license to hold sway over the rights of others, you're generally asking for trouble.

It can be a dangerous mix of Napoleonic "tiny dick" mentality and brutish disregard for the law because you ARE the law...

With that said, I believe the concept of the military is indeed important and I do believe that service members could be "fighting for our freedom" and "defending us;" however, the U.S. does not employ its forces in this way and hasn't done so in decades. Our military is now used as a weapon of coercion for the most part. We don't defend our nation or our allies so much as we attempt to impose our will on other states through demonstrations of might.

To say that our troops in Iraq or Afghanistan were/are defending America is asinine. Neither Saddam Hussein nor al-Qaeda threatened our nation's sovereignty. One may have helped to hold foreign oil prices hostage and may have slaughtered his own citizens and the other may have conducted an operation that killed and injured thousands on American soil, but neither could have orchestrated the downfall of the American empire.

This is what a standing military should be concerned with if they are going to use the concepts of defense and freedom as sales pitches and rallying cries -- being ready and able to protect a nation from defeat and destruction at the hands of an enemy nation.

I believe America should send fewer troops to fewer parts of the world and conduct fewer operations in response to actions that our government finds objectionable and instead, we should train and employ more assassins that can simply slip into foreign nations and kill targeted individuals whose actions, ideas or policies we don't like. Where are our 007s? Where is our Mossad? If you want to change world politics, you just keep killing leaders until someone rises to the seat of power that you can work with.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonnica View Post
    They are defending/fighting for the country's interest, Oil.
    Never really been about freedom or a war on terror, just Oil.

In my eyes (Im not from US btw) they are just makeing sure that other cant have freedom.. or money.
    I think you need a geography lesson on where the worlds most vast oil reserves are... Maybe if you did, you wouldn't make such an ignorant statement. If this were just about oil and the US. We could simply take Venezuela and buy oil from our neighbors to our north (which we do). Hell, we have a plentiful amount of oil here in the United States, we just don't drill for it as much as we could.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I've never looked at another society like that and thought, "Yeah, I really want to go FIX them."

It's also impossible. We cannot. We can't change another society to be like ours and even hope for success. It happens naturally, or not at all. War does not fix it. Killing people to change how they live is insane.
    Take the many cultural aspects of the USA, and how being the richest country (for now) in the world has facilitated it's spread, seeping into every nation on the planet.

This is a form of cultural takeover, something the French are especially sensitive about.

Globalisation can be a complete bitch, if left unchecked.

Nothing is more sad then seeing a rat in a maze not realizing what the maze is, nor recognizing the cheese for anything but food.

For those who stubbornly seek freedom, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination. These are easy to perceive in the totalitarian societies, much less so in the system of 'brainwashing under freedom' to which we are subjected and which all too often we sere as willing or unwitting instruments.
    Noam Chomsky

The word freedom and the likes get tossed around a lot, but only as a word, no longer meaning what it did.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Methias View Post
    Yeah, and seeing how... 40%? of the money the US earns in Taxes goes STRAIGHT into the military where it could be spent elsewhere? Sorry but you're talking some serious bullshit here.
    US taxes are nothing compared to most civilized societies, and of that 40% it generates a lot of money back, way more. By multiple means (jobs, sales etc).

Before calling bovine excrement on something, you might want to read up on it.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I hate to say it, but I tend to believe that enlisted U.S. military members (and domestic law enforcement officers) are disproportionately less intelligent than you might find in other lines of work. I have nothing against lukewarm IQs, but I also believe the dumber you are, the more violence-prone you become. When you give dumb, aggressive men a license to hold sway over the rights of others, you're generally asking for trouble.
    You're showing your ignorance in a big way. I think you should quit while you're behind because you haven't the slightest clue.

What are your thoughts on these people? Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head. No they are not fighting for our freedom, and no they are not defending our country. No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States. Their response: "But we're over there to combat terrorism". Wake the fuck up, terrorists are everywhere. That guy that shot a bunch of kids in that Sandy Hook elementary school, terrorist. That guy that shot all those people in that movie theater in Colorado, terrorist. That guy that shot a crap ton of people in Norway, terrorist. You can not go to a specific part of the world in hopes of combating an idea. It's simply propaganda.

The only time they are defending us is if our country is in danger like when Japan bombed the shit out of Pearl Harbor in WW2.
    Posts like this are insulting.

Did I declare war in the Middle East? No, I didn't. Did I go over there to steal country's oil and rule over their people? No, I didn't. Did I come to you asking for special acknowledgement or consideration prior to your childish rant? No, I didn't.

The United States military gets shit on constantly by people, it is disgusting. Does the military have bad eggs who do things which reflect poorly on the service as a whole.. of course it does... so doesn't every other single group of people. There are obvious questions about why we are still in the Middle East now that Osama is dead but write your congressman or President to complain.. don't complain about the military as a whole.

The United States might not be under direct attack as we speak but if someone decided to attack, who would you be running and hiding behind to defend you from the crazy Chinese or Russian or whoever is attacking... the US Military.

You say no country in the Middle East is a direct threat to the United States. What do you think would happen if Iran cut off access to the Suez canal? You wouldn't be able to ride your motorcycle or drive you car because there would be next to no oil being transported out of the Middle East.. the US military is a deterrent force which causes countries like Iran and Syria to think twice about committing such acts against the region. Without our presence there, god only knows what would happen.

If you have issue with the military's actions, write you congressman but stop shitting on the military.. they follow orders and obey their senior political leadership.