Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Exclamation Is being bipolar really a disorder?

Frequently people with bipolar disorder are more successful and creative than normal people. This begs the question is bipolar disorder really a disorder at all?

Deleted
    Depends on how you define "order" or "disorder".

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Frequently people with bipolar disorder are more successful and creative than normal people. This begs the question is bipolar disorder really a disorder at all?
    Being bipolar often interferes with everyday life. This is the definition of disorder.

Deleted
    I have Bi-polar 1, yes its a disorder to me, but to some other people maybe not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, having dated a bipolar girl who stopped taking her medications, I can definitely say it is.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yes, having dated a bipolar girl who stopped taking her medications, I can definitely say it is.
    Same here, and I would have to agree. It is a disorder
    Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    p.s. i want to see Sylvanas take a pounding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    This could NEVER be taken the wrong way. ._.

Anything that's not "in order" would be a "disorder", wouldn't it?

I think you're lumping the terms "disorder" and "debilitation/incapacity" together.

Look at this.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/12500...ntal-disorders
    There are two with bipolar disorder on that list.

like anything else that affects the mind this varies from person to person. some have very mild symptoms, mild enough that it affects them little more than normal mood swings. some swing so wildy that they can barely function, and can be a risk to themselves or those around them. and there is everything in between. some are down more than up, and vise versa. for some it can even be a net gain. id say it is most definitely a disorder. whether it is debilitating or not is very dependent on the individual suffering from it
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Look at this.
    One can still be a genius and have trouble with everyday life.

If you are a bipolar transistor it is OK. But if you are FET it is definitely a disorder.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's people with all kinds of disorderds and diseases that still do well in life, doesn't mean it's not a burden to them. If the effects of a condition or disorder affect your quality of living by making you miserable, even part of the time, I'd say that's a disorder. You would still consider chronic bouts of occasional diarrhea a problem even if you were really creative when you had them. Same here even if you don't feel the problems with bi-polar sound that bad.

Look at this.
    What's your point? "disorder" doesn't imply the person is completely incapable of functioning in the world and needs to be locked up.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say if it's outside the "norm" it's a disorder. Now, of course, one also has to consider if it is crippling to the person afflicted with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mother is bipolar, and it does affect her greatly if she isn't on her medication (her own words). Does it affect some people more than others? Sure, but that doesn't make it any less of a disorder to those who aren't as affected by it. Guaranteed, it has some impact (probably negative) on their lives in some way.

according to dsm-iv / icd-10 (F31) it is

Deleted
    I'd hardly call this conclusive rofl, no way can you diagnose someone with a possible mental illness from scattered accounts and sources.

The only currently actually successful person with bipolar I can think of is Stephen Fry; and I wouldn't call him particularly "creative", he's just clever and likeable.

Bipolar can make people commit suicide, I don't see how you can even question whether it's a "disorder" or not.

Frequently people
    Something like 3% of the U.S population apparently has bipolar of some form, as a proportion of "successful" or "creative" people I would say its fairly proportional.
    Last edited by mmoc44ab44658a; 2013-02-07 at 05:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a big disorder if you're truly afflicted with it! My parent's friend committed suicide over her bipolar issues, leaving behind her husband and son. It was a very hard time of her life with the wild aggression issues and instant changes in perception and mood.

Look at this.
    FDR was wheelchair bound and was the POTUS. That would be akin to suggesting because he found success that he didn't have physical limitations.

People with mental illness often struggle with maintaining success - poverty, violence, abuse, neglect (basically any negative statistic) rates among the mentally ill are disproportionately higher than the rest of the population.

There are those who can overcome their illness (not everyone who has a form of Bipolar Disorder suffers the same severity) and find success, but to suggest that since some succeed that it is similar to normal function is a bit naive.

Yeah I think it's a bit suspect that you seem to think that mental illness and intelligence can't go hand in hand, to say that if they're really smart with a mental disorder, it's not actually a disorder. Hell patients with Asperger's Syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum, are typically higher than average intelligence... but if you're suggesting that they will function the same as an average person, you're flat out wrong.

Being bipolar means you shift through manic and depressive states, which are more extreme than neurotypical people. That's really it.