Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Are you seriously implying psychology is just therapy and has nothing to do with medicine? Wow. Just wow.
    My last line even says psychologist can use medicine by recommandation??? But no, psychology is not the science to solve mental disorder, thats why it has no reason to be in this thread. Bipolarism is not a psychological condition. Like Schizophrenia, it can give you psychological conditions, like stress, paranoia, anxiety,etc, but it can not be solved with psychology.

Say you have Schizophrenia, you will meet a psychologist, he will evaluate you. He will instantly refer you to a psychiatrist, because he is the one to solve your condition. Psychotherapist can solve psychological problems, sometime without medication. But they cannot intervene on mental disorder itself. That is why you have both, because having a mental disorder usually come with a lot of psychological problems along side with it, even once the psychiatrist threatement. Psychotherapist is then the one to help on these issues.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2013-02-08 at 08:41 PM.

Are you seriously implying psychology is just therapy and has nothing to do with medicine? Wow. Just wow.
    He's saying that psychologists typically just deal with therapy cause they can not prescribe medication. They aren't real doctors (as in they didn't put in the many years of medical school) compared to psychiatrists who can prescribe medication. I'm pretty sure that's right. I know my boyfriend saw a psychologist for years but unfortunately took many a couple of months to get an appointment with a psychiatrist just so he could get the medication he needed.

And to the person who says Bipolar is just a crutch, an excuse to be an asshole, just wow. While I agree that some people claim they are bipolar or despressed or have OCD or whatnot even though they don't there are real people dealing with these disorders and people just do not know what they go through. It's a huge burden not just on them but their family and friends. And it really is something they cannot help and you really can't comprehend what these mental disorders are like until you actually have them or possibly are around someone with it everyday.

"Yes! Or maybe..No!"

On a serious note, you mentioned that bipolar people often are successful in what they do - My wild guess is that they make the right decisions because they really think things through and thus make the best choices possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    In the current scope of things, with the introduction of MRI's, fMRI's, psychologists can see and predict behavior purely on the basis of what is displayed on a computer screen.
    Just for the record thats Psychiatry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. I've had women that are bipolar, and it was no day in the park.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why most treatments seek out help from both a psychologist and psychiatrist. I have yet to meet psychologists that can prescribe meds. They recommend them. Not saying they can't but that is typically the psychiatrist's role.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Why most treatments seek out help from both a psychologist and psychiatrist. I have yet to meet psychologists that can prescribe meds. They recommend them. Not saying they can't but that is typically the psychiatrist's role.
    I don't think psychologists can prescribe them. They just do therapy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Frequently people with bipolar disorder are more successful and creative than normal people. This begs the question is bipolar disorder really a disorder at all?
    Generalized statement. Uninformed thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Actually, no it's not. That would fall under neuropsychology, as opposed to psychiatry which is a medical specialty focusing on the treatment of mental disorders. Neuropsychology is going to be more investigative, research-focused, while psychiatry is going to be direct problem solving such as pain management and dosage regimens for antidepressants. Even if they're similar, they aren't the same because of this focus, and you can't say that certain aspects of psychology fall under psychiatry purely on the basis that they're more "Sciency."

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 09:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I don't think psychologists can prescribe them. They just do therapy.
    Psychologists do not have prescribing rights, where as psychiatrists do by virtue of their medical doctorate.

A lot of people quoted me about something I didn't say, I guess it's the nature of these forums. Psychology the science and psychologists as a profession are different, and it's more than clear I was talking about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Frequently people with bipolar disorder are more successful and creative than normal people. This begs the question is bipolar disorder really a disorder at all?
    Having any sort of mental illness can be stressful and that stress is what pushes people to work harder and become more successful. It's not bipolar disorder making them more successful/creative.

Bipolar disorder is characterized by episodes of mania or depression, sometimes fluctuating between the two, and sometimes those episodes get really severe. Most people who suffer from bipolar disorder have a lot of trouble living any sort of a normal life, even doing relatively simple things like holding down a job or taking care of themselves. They require ongoing medication and therapy for the rest of their lives in order to be 'more successful and creative than normal people.'

You also have to understand that many 'normal people' are undiagnosed bipolar, so comparing their success/creativity to someone who's medicated isn't really taking an accurate account of the facts.

Sure. Bipolar disorder is associated with such sparks of creativity and genius, but seriously consider the great sea of people in history who might be defined as bipolar by modern standards. Then consider that, of that great wealth of people, merely a handful have managed to be recorded in history as great artists or geniuses.

Yes. Bipolar disorder is really a disorder, and those who have it – especially young adult males who are in early stages of wrestling with it – are at a relatively high risk for suicide. The symptoms of the disorder itself are one thing, but the side effects of medication used in treating a bipolar disorder can be quite severe as well. Saying that people with bipolar disorder have different ways of thinking about things is one thing – suggesting it somehow puts us (as I have bipolar disorder type II) at a distinct advantage at living a successful life compared to people without such a disorder is horribly misinformed. To think otherwise is sampling bias at its finest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Psychology is a science aiming at understanding mental functions. Not about treating anything.
    Psychiatry is a medical field about treating mental illness. (often based on psychological studies, but that's not mandatory)

So of course, a psychiatrist will be more able to treat mental illness, it's his job, not the one of the psychologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Psychology is a science aiming at understanding mental functions. Not about treating anything.
    Psychiatry is a medical field about treating mental illness. (often based on psychological studies, but that's not mandatory)

So of course, a psychiatrist will be more able to treat mental illness, it's his job, not the one of the psychologist.
    ^This, and I would like to add that a person suffering from mental illness will be on a better road to management (cuz there is no recovery) by keeping regular appointments with both a psychiatrist and a psychologist. A psychologist will be able to discuss with you the relevant aspects of your illness within the context of your daily life, and be able to help you gain a better understanding of it. A psychiatrist will be able to work with a psychologist to identify a good course of treatment (which can take awhile) and monitor your dosage, tuning it as necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is. A disorder is something that interrupts or makes the person's life more difficult. (ie with anxiety disorder, you can't live a "normal" life because maybe you're so anxious about some situation, that you have to change the way you do things in order to avoid it. Which, by the way, is not healthy if someone wants to get treatment!)

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The definition of "mental disorder" according to the upcoming DSM-V is a
    "behavioral or psychological syndrome (or pattern) that is present in an individual and that reflects some kind of underlying psychobiological dysfunction. Importantly, this behavioral syndrome should result in clinically significant distress, disability, or impairment in key areas of functioning. Predictable responses to stressors (such as death of a loved one) are excluded. It is also important that this dysfunctional pattern of behavior not stem from social deviance or conflicts that the person has with society as a whole." (Butcher, Mineka, & Hooley, 2013)
    That said, yes bipolar disorder IS a disorder. Even if it doesn't distress the person specifically, it can still be a disorder. Also, yes many geniuses had disorders, but who knows? Maybe they could've achieved more if they didn't have these disorders.

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post

Obviously you've never heard of clinical psychology. The area of psychology specific to mental disorders is called Abnormal Psychology. But in any case, clinical psychologists do much the same thing as psychiatrists. As a matter of fact, in some states psychologists can even prescribe medicine.

First, the list clearly says (possible). Second, most humans will hit a mental disorder at some point in their lives. Some are more servere then others, some are real illness. They have depression on that list, majority of humans have that disorder at some point in their life.
    Bad example. Clinical depression is not the same as being very sad. 'Depression' as it is used outside of medical terminology is a complete and utter misnomer. Too often, you hear people go 'I am so depressed by this.' Well; they're not actually depressed. They merely experience sadness. A typical numbing of emotion due to emotional stress can look a lot like depression, but most usually, it's not the case.

Don't confuse the two just because lots of people do.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yes, having dated a bipolar girl who stopped taking her medications, I can definitely say it is.
    Oh honey i just bought a boat!
    Those are always the best

Deleted
    No it's not. It's cognitive neuroscience aka neuropsychology mixed with cognitive psychology and psychobiology.
    Last edited by mmoc6d00db7716; 2013-02-09 at 11:46 AM.