10+ Year Old Account

Installing OS on new computer

Back with my at least 4th post to the forum in the past month, much love to you guys.

My question is concerning my new computer parts I got and how stupid this situation is imo. I got my new CPU and Mobo the other day, put them together in my new case and put all my old parts into it as well, obv minus the old cpu and mobo. Trying to boot up my system it always insists I either do a system recovery or start as normal. If I do the recovery it will do a restore, then restart the computer and nothing happens. If I start normally it will do the windows starting animation with the little orbs flying in, and freeze at the same spot every time and restart the system.

I read online this could be because of a possible recent hardware change, which has to be the stupidest thing to read considering the HDD I am using is from my older computer, that I put into my computer I was borrowing from my cousin and had 0 issues with OS not working or loading.

Am I able to do the .ISO thing from my phone, and if so I do not have the product key for my OS.

I am pretty confused right now with the whole situation.

Problem you described is not unexpected. When you change motherboard it is best practice to do clean OS reinstall. Whether simple "HDD transplant" you did will work at all or not mostly depends on the difference between old and new motherboard, the most important of which is a chipset motherboard uses.
    Did you try starting windows in safe mode?
    Which version of windows it is?
    What models are old and new motherboards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 7 Ultimate

I haven't seen the option to start it in safe mode, nor did the manual dictate a key for it

New MOBO is an ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0

Old one is factory one from a Dell Inspiron 518 Board: Dell Inc. 0K068D A00

15+ Year Old Account
    yea, you'll need to reinstall windows. if you don't, it's just a hodge-podged build that will have random errors
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible to install just the executable files from a new install onto my HDD and then execute it from command prompt? The CD my MOBO came with lets me access command prompt so I thought maybe that might work. I was told I would need to edit the MBR if I did this though.

I don't have a windows 7 cd or a flash drive so this kinda stinks.

Looks like new mobo is AMD while old one was Intel chipset, clean install is the only viable option.
    By executable files from new install you probably mean new mobo drivers; I'm afraid that's not an option. Basically when windows was installed on that hard drive computer had different motherboard and cpu which had different architecture, and even if somehow that very windows install would work with new mobo / cpu it would likely cause you lots of trouble.

You can find link to download windows installation image from http://www.mydigitallife.info/offici...digital-river/ and use existing product key for reinstall. Product key should be on a sticker on your computer case and / or with documentation that came with your computer.

You need to do clean install which means format system partition (drive C: most likely) so make sure you backup anything from that partition first.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can try doing this repair process, which is similar to how it was done on older OS